Historical Events that are Worthy of Epic TV Shows

On 3/26/2021 at 1:06 PM, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

I’ve got some bad news for you. 

Even when McMurtry was writing novels set in Los Angeles or Las Vegas or Washington, D.C., Texans were always a part of the narrative. He wrote of a former rodeo cowboy who became a womanizing antiques dealer (Cadillac Jack) and an erstwhile University of Texas football player who later became a Hollywood striver (Somebody’s Darling). Just before he fell ill, he was working on two more Texas-based stories—one a western based on the life of the cattleman Charles Goodnight, and the other a modern-day novel of manners about a Fort Worth socialite. (He never published them.) For all of the acerbic criticism of mundane Texas life and literature that marked his essays, the man loved Texans, big and small. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/larry-mcmurtry-death/amp/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Web Social&utm_content=LarryMcMurtryObit&__twitter_impression=true

I meant to reply to this the other day but was bad news. I didn't realize he had passed until you posted this.

Would like to see the story of the Wright Brothers.

The progression of the Kentucky bourbon market.  Throw in some racehorses for fun.

+1 on the Quanah Parker story.

Sam Houston/ the story of Texas

I can get behind most of the suggestions.   The Centennial series was pretty much whitewashed with manifest destiny type talk.  

Somebody mentioned Little Big Horn and the Lakota/Souix.   

I'd add  Trail of Tears and Wounded Knee.   I found a Trail of Tears docudrama but it was so poorly done I just couldn't get into it.   I wish some of these could get  real money support to make some Band of Brothers quality product.  

Closer to home, I'd support a series on the 1900 Hurricane of Galveston and the city's moves afterwards to save itself.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 8:29 AM, F250 said:

The life of Charles Goodnight would be fascinating.

51e12ZNkT4L._AC_SY780_.jpg

I knew one of Goodnight's grandsons in Caldwell.  They had (still have) some acreage west of Caldwell that has never been broken by plow of intentionally improved or touched chemically.  I think it was like 2 or 3 acres.  Pretty fascinating fellow to talk with.

CSB time.  I grew up knowing a retired school teacher who gave me a couple of trunks of books.  Found out later her grandfather was D.R. Fant.  Most haven't heard of him.  I have several books of his with his signature in them.  He was pretty well read.  But then reading was all they could do.  

San Antonio Light
January 16, 1908

PIONEER CATTLEMAN JOINS GREAT MAJORITY

Colonel Dillard R. Fant, pioneer stockman, one of the old timers who has ridden the cattle trail from the mouth of the Rio Grande to the plains of Wyoming and Montana, and even to the markets of the east, driving thousands of cattle, is dead, and in his death Texas loses another of its sterling and picturesque characters, a frontiersman who helped blaze the way for civilization and progress.
Colonel Fant, who had resided in San Antonio for the last 15 or 20 years, died last night at 11 o'clock at his old home in Goliad, where he went some days ago to attend the funeral of his daughter. He was taken suddenly ill the day following the funeral and the illness ended in death. He will be buried at Goliad.
Colonel Fant is survived by his widow, two sons and three daughters. His sons are Dillard R. Fant, Jr., and Sutherland Fant, and his daughters are Mrs. Aggie Ramsey, of Dallas, Mrs. Collins of Hidalgo county and Miss Lucile Fant. He was a member of the Odd Fellows who will have charge of the funeral services.
Colonel Fant was born in Anderson district, South Carolina, July 27, 1841, his parents being W. N. and Mary Fant, who came to Texas in 1852 and settled in Goliad. His father engaged in the mercantile business and also took an active part in public and political affairs. Early in life Dillard Fant entered into the cattle trade and for years was one of the leading cattlemen of Texas, his interest extending into the Indian Territory, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Dakota and Idaho. When 14 years old he was freighting with Ox teams between San Antonio and Goliad. At the opening of the civil war he entered the Confederate army as a member of Captain Kinney's company of the Twenty-first Texas cavalry, Carter's brigade, serving in the Trans-Mississippi department. After the war, returning to Goliad, he engaged in farming for a time but in 1866 he turned to the cattle business. He drove many herds numbering in the aggregate hundreds of thousands of heads, over the historic Chisum trail to northern ranges and markets. For years he had contracts for supplying the government at Yankton, Standing Rock, Fort Reno, Fort Sill and other agencies with beef.
In 1884 Colonel Fant took over the old trail the largest herd of cattle ever taken along that route so far as the records are known. The herd contained 42,000 head and was driven to Wyoming. The cattle cost from $12 to $20 a head and it required 200 men and 1200 cow ponies to handle them.
He moved to San Antonio to make his home in 1901 and purchased a residence at King William and Sheridan streets. He was married at Goliad October 15, 1865 to Miss Lucy Hodges, daughter of Colonel Jack Hodges, well known as one of the most historic characters in Texas who won distinction in the war with Mexico. Of this union eight children were born, of whom the five named above survive.

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Hook 'Em 1

The channel is Timeline - World History Documentaries.  Dan Jones is also the presenter.  The Plantagenet series is 4 parts and is called Britain's Bloodiest Dynasty.  The War of the Roses series is also 4 parts and is called Britain's Bloody Crown.  Jones does a really good job of bringing the people to life and his explanations of their motivations and descriptions of their personalities are amazingly good considering it all happened 800 years ago.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2