ERCOT Urging For Energy Conservation

Vic Mackey

On 4/18/2024 at 2:10 PM, BeardIP said:

I have a buddy who bought an astro turf business franchise where you buy the regional area, a few years ago.

He paid $900k a few years ago and now makes $6 million bucks a year. It's a business that is just him, his wife and his brother. Think: astro turfing peoples backyards who are sick of yard work, custom golf stuff like backyard putting greens (and even a par 3 single hole for rich people).

I think it's still early innings for that type of business-- especially if regulations ever happen that even come close to what you described...

Not early innings. I’ve had this for 11 years, and live in a pretty regulated town. 

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

Not early innings. I’ve had this for 11 years, and live in a pretty regulated town. 

Have you considered that you are an early adopter and that the TAM has only grown in the last 11 years as regulations will only grow moving forward, though?

I had a conversation with my buddy literally yesterday and he broke down the market for the last year as follows (for what it's worth):

- Residential -- getting super competitive

- Putting greens- about the same YoY

- Commercial business- booming

YMMV

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

In Texas, ex-oil and gas workers champion geothermal energy as a replacement for fossil-fueled power plants (click2houston.com)

Interesting.

Can't comment on the economics.

But interesting nonetheless.

Do places like Bozeman, Montana which happens to have a lot geothermal activity have any geothermal electrical generation?

seems to be mostly in Cali and Nev

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_geothermal_power_stations_in_the_United_States

2 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Have you considered that you are an early adopter and that the TAM has only grown in the last 11 years as regulations will only grow moving forward, though?

I had a conversation with my buddy literally yesterday and he broke down the market for the last year as follows (for what it's worth):

- Residential -- getting super competitive

- Putting greens- about the same YoY

- Commercial business- booming

YMMV

Regulations won’t grow, and if they do it’ll be to restrict the use of this. Artificial turf is extremely prevalent in Dallas area, in both residential and commercial buildings. It’s been around for decades and is highly fragmented and competitive. I’m not an early adopter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Regulations won’t grow, and if they do it’ll be to restrict the use of this. Artificial turf is extremely prevalent in Dallas area, in both residential and commercial buildings. It’s been around for decades and is highly fragmented and competitive. I’m not an early adopter. 

Good to know then and thanks for the input.

On 4/18/2024 at 10:58 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Do you have dogs?  I would entertain turf, because my backyard is shaded 85% of the time, but the dogs have to piss and shit somewhere.

On 4/19/2024 at 12:19 AM, fattyflattie said:

When we were considering it, they said you just hose it down (after you pick it up).  Can’t verify, decided to go in another direction. 

we had two small areas after we installed our pool that were troublesome, bc of too much shade, no grass would grow, would get muddy, etc.

we also had dogs, mostly big, sometimes two at once... turf was a great alternative. poop picked up easily and yeah, we'd just hose it down, usually once a week. dogs tended to go in the same spot regardless lol.

I don't know about how hot it gets, but for our purposes around a pool it was a great option, no regrets.