2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

Post should've said Candrea...not Can Dream....but autocorrect had other ideas.

Candrea is a great softball mind. He coaches the game the way I feel it should be coached. He teaches is players a theory and allows them to find the technique. Too many coaches now days screw with kids swings and try and take a cookie cutter approach to coaching. The problem with Candrea is, as I mentioned before, he no longer enjoys the grind of endless recruiting. I think he has 2-3 good years left in the tank and then they will put a statue up of him at the stadium. No reason to take on the task and pressures that the Texas job currently offers.

7 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

Post should've said Candrea...not Can Dream....but autocorrect had other ideas.

Candrea is a great softball mind. He coaches the game the way I feel it should be coached. He teaches is players a theory and allows them to find the technique. Too many coaches now days screw with kids swings and try and take a cookie cutter approach to coaching. The problem with Candrea is, as I mentioned before, he no longer enjoys the grind of endless recruiting. I think he has 2-3 good years left in the tank and then they will put a statue up of him at the stadium. No reason to take on the task and pressures that the Texas job currently offers.

Sometimes a change even at his age can rejuvenate a career and 62 is not that old if he is in good health.

Floreal 51

pierce 55

Aston 53

herman 43

smart 41

capitani late 40s

joffe 47

murphy early 40s

o’Neill late 40s

the recent hires skew younger than 60. I kind of think CDC is looking for coaches he doesn’t have to replace often due to age and the game hasn’t passed them by 

Lawson is mid-40s

Walton is 45

White is about 50

On 6/12/2018 at 2:57 PM, midwesthorn said:

IMO, Power 5 winning coaches are going to be a stretch to hire at this point.   Next in line would be mid major college coaches that have had success.  Has anybody thought about/mentioned Kristi Bredbenner, Wichita State? I hope she applied.  Mizzou was afraid to play them this year.  Shockers beat Texas.  

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article210172709.html

A lot of schools beat us this year!

• Haha 1

That is a tremendous hire for UAB. They opened a new facility a couple of years ago, Jimmy is very familiar with the Alabama softball scene, and should do well there. Crazy that UAB was able to pull this one off, as I thought he might be in line for a much bigger job.

Maybe he knows Mike White is coming to Texas and struck while the iron was hot.

CDC's first fail...so far. Let's see what happens this week. 

I sat next to a TCU volleyball coach from Dallas to Austin last week. He spoke so highly of CDC and what a dynamic man he is. The coach was positive CDC would make a great hire for Texas softball.

I disagree at this point. The lack of urgency to announce a coach leads me to believe that CDC underestimated the stability and loyalty many softball coaches have towards their programs, players, AD's, and universities.    Additionally,  CDC doesn't understand the importance of recruiting in the months of June/July. If he did, someone would be in place by now. 

CDC hires a track coach immediately after the season is over. Track coach recruits by looking at a time sheet. You run fast. You jump high. Come to my great school.  Softball coaches have to watch game after game...at bat after at bat...defense inning after inning. They  invite kids to campus for camps...its a process that Texas is not part of this summer. Time is of the essence!

• Fuck You 5

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Wow, he’s a big fail already?

imma let him announce it. Remember how long it took to hire Pierce?

And there were a lot of fans that thought the hire was failure. In part because we didn't go Jimbo Fisher on it and part because we didn't make the hire immediately.

The timing may not be optimal, but it is what it is.

ughhhh....I just heard from a VERY good source....someone close to the coach himself, that Texas has zeroed in on Ken Eriksen with Cat as the Pitching coach. Please lord don't let this be true. Has ANYONE else heard this very disheartening rumor?

For what it is worth, Eriksen's coaching prowess was on full display this weekend, with the National team, in Texas.....they lost by the way.

If we truly struck out on everyone and ended up approaching Ken Ericksen, I'd rather just hire Cat has HC and see what happens. I know what we'd be getting with KE and I'd rather see if we strike gold with an assistant instead.

There are several assistants out there who would be worth the gamble over Eriksen. 

Just  hope my source is more wrong than the one who told me it was Walton. We know there was mutual interest with walton because of the 10 year extension 

Edited by FloridaHorn

10 minutes ago, midwesthorn said:

Does disaster = fail? 🤔

Ericksen would be a fail, yes.

Though I refuse to call anything a failure until Texas announces the hire. Maybe FloridaHorn's source (are you TennHorn on UCS?) is wrong.

Hopefully, for once in his miserable existence, Kurt Bowels is right and we get something this week and it is not KE.

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I only read on UCS....my sources are not message board sources. UCS is a great place for fastpitch discussion though.

Oh I wasn't saying that was your source. I just noticed some similarities between your posting and TennHorn on there. Including referring to JK at UAB as "tremendous."

I also just read it. That board gets stupider than this one with the trolls. Too many Sooners as well.  We get it, OU is good at softball, they're pretty annoying.

I don't follow softball broadly, I just keep up with our team. 

How high are expectations of G5-level coaches in softball? It seems like other women's sports like volleyball and basketball are pretty much dominated by P5 teams. A quick look through the last 10 WCWS and I only see Hawaii and ULL as the only G5 teams to break the barrier during that period. Lotief at ULL looks like a non-starter. It doesn't look like Ericksen is dominating his conference, so that isn't a great sign, but are there any G5-level coaches that stand out after Lotief?

ULL is really the G5 gold standard. Hofstra/USF have won some big games, but not consistently, and really that was because of 2 great pitchers (Galati at Hofstra and Nevins at USF).  Kind of how Rupp was what made Texas State good, but not great enough, to compete against the P5 big girls like UCLA. G5 programs just want to make a regional. Sometimes they host, but not often.  The last 5 years:

2018 - no G5 hosts

2017 - no G5 hosts

2016 - ULL, JMU

2015 - JMU, ULL

2014 - ULL

2013 - South Alabama

Other than that, softball is dominated by P5 teams - and specifically the P5 teams of the Pac 12, SEC + OU/FSU/Michigan.  College softball is basically 15-18 teams per season who have a chance to make Oklahoma City.

You might find a diamond in the rough G5 coach like Trish Ford (Fresno) or Walton (Wichita State). But really, not really.

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, Js1 said:

Perhaps Ericksen was a target and did not interview well in ref to Bohl's tweet.

Cat is a "must" on the staff imo.   Not only for pitching expertise/recruiting, but  to garner fan support.   As someone who regularly attends games,  fan support has significantly decreased.   The crowds seen on TV are mostly youth teams, their families, and coaches which is great.    But they are there on a one game promotion and not regular fans.

Clark resigned 23 May.  The opening was not posted until 5 June a delay of 12 days maybe in deference to the WCWS and to show respect to Walton or one of the other coaches.  Hopefully,  candidates were informally contacted/vetted soon after 23 May.     But it does appear the search is not going well though the earliest an announcement could have been made was the 15th (correct ?) 

Can't wait for the press conference.   "Coach ___ was at the top of our list,  yada, yada, yada"    😊

3 minutes ago, torre said:

Perhaps Ericksen was a target and did not interview well in ref to Bohl's tweet.

Cat is a "must" on the staff imo.   Not only for pitching expertise/recruiting, but  to garner fan support.   As someone who regularly attends games,  fan support has significantly decreased.   The crowds seen on TV are mostly youth teams, their families, and coaches which is great.    But they are there on a one game promotion and not regular fans.

Clark resigned 23 May.  The opening was not posted until 5 June a delay of 12 days maybe in deference to the WCWS and to show respect to Walton or one of the other coaches.  Hopefully,  candidates were informally contacted/vetted soon after 23 May.     But it does appear the search is not going well though the earliest an announcement could have been made was the 15th (correct ?) 

Can't wait for the press conference.   "Coach ___ was at the top of our list,  yada, yada, yada"    😊

10 business days.  Which is Wednesday.  CDC clearly waited until the WCWS was over. People harp on how "fast" it took to hire Floreal after the NCAAs finished, but that job has been "open" since February. No doubt in my mind CDC had already reached out to several coaches between February and June. His tip to Eugene for the NCAA Championships may have been to do the formal interview with Floreal and some other candidates.

I believe Kolaitis was outstanding for a couple of reasons. Firstly, he had a lot of success at South Alabama as an assistant, so he knows the turf well. Secondly, he recruited my kid, while he was at South Alabama, and he was a real stand up guy. Honest on all fronts and very easy to talk to.

If CDC is going to sit there at Floreal's press conference, I think he'd be at the one for the softball coach. Texas Baseball is playing tomorrow and, should they win, Thursday night again. Then Friday and possibly Saturday.

Fuck it, CDC should announce it tomorrow afternoon.  He's either flying home because we're done in Omaha or he can fly home, have the PC on Wednesday, and then fly back to Omaha for Thursday's game.

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

ULL is really the G5 gold standard. Hofstra/USF have won some big games, but not consistently, and really that was because of 2 great pitchers (Galati at Hofstra and Nevins at USF).  Kind of how Rupp was what made Texas State good, but not great enough, to compete against the P5 big girls like UCLA. G5 programs just want to make a regional. Sometimes they host, but not often.  The last 5 years:

2018 - no G5 hosts

2017 - no G5 hosts

2016 - ULL, JMU

2015 - JMU, ULL

2014 - ULL

2013 - South Alabama

Other than that, softball is dominated by P5 teams - and specifically the P5 teams of the Pac 12, SEC + OU/FSU/Michigan.  College softball is basically 15-18 teams per season who have a chance to make Oklahoma City.

You might find a diamond in the rough G5 coach like Trish Ford (Fresno) or Walton (Wichita State). But really, not really.

Thanks. It seems what little talent there is has been so concentrated at the top, it wouldn't be too hard to tell who the "diamonds in the rough" are just by looking at conference records. Do Ford and Walton consistently win their conferences? That would at least suggest a higher baseline in coaching than someone like Ericksen who doesn't seem to regularly win his conference, much less always reside in title contention.

Like you said, if a coach's one streak of greatness coincided with a single player, I would be hard pressed to see that as a positive when looking for future returns. Especially if the rest of the record is middle of the pack or worse. David Pierce didn't really excite the fanbase coming from being a coach in some crappy conferences, but he won his conference 4 of the 5 years he was HC and was 3rd place in the other year. That consistency suggests a diamond in the rough.

Walton was 123-64 at Wichita State and finished 3rd, 5th, 2nd and made 1 regional in his final season. He also had been at OU as an assistant from 92-00 and they won the title in 2000.

Ford was 142-71-1 at Fresno State and won her conference 2 times and 2 regional appearances. And was a long-time assistant at Stanford before she took the head job as Fresno.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

If CDC is going to sit there at Floreal's press conference, I think he'd be at the one for the softball coach. Texas Baseball is playing tomorrow and, should they win, Thursday night again. Then Friday and possibly Saturday.

Fuck it, CDC should announce it tomorrow afternoon.  He's either flying home because we're done in Omaha or he can fly home, have the PC on Wednesday, and then fly back to Omaha for Thursday's game.

I'm pretty sure the hire has already been made or Bohls wouldn't say "news on that front next week." Just waiting for the official announcement. 

I buy that theory. I think it could come tomorrow. It makes the most sense if CDC is going to do the press conference this week. But also, you put the beat reporters in a shitty position because they are all in Omaha.

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Hopefully, for once in his miserable existence, Kurt Bowels is right and we get something this week and it is not KE.

Bohls sucks but that's primarily because of his hot takes and dumb shit like voting Reggie Bush over VY for the Heisman. When it comes to specific stuff about coaching hires, Bohls is normally right. Not like that's some big accomplishment or anything......he just has someone in the athletic department feeding him information. 

Bohls might be wrong here but this isn't a guess on his part. Somebody in the athletic department is telling him it isn't Ericksen. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

I believe Kolaitis was outstanding for a couple of reasons. Firstly, he had a lot of success at South Alabama as an assistant, so he knows the turf well. Secondly, he recruited my kid, while he was at South Alabama, and he was a real stand up guy. Honest on all fronts and very easy to talk to.

Here's what is real sad, he didn't even get a sniff.  In fact, he uses the same agent as Coach Pierce and the agent couldn't get his name in front of the right people.  Koalitis would have been a tremendous hire...at this point I have zero clue who we are targeting but I can't imagine them being better than Koalitis would have been.  He will be very successful at UAB and mark my words, he will be at an SEC school sooner rather than later and will be wildly successful there too.  Pretty disappointed in this one. 

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm pretty sure the hire has already been made or Bohls wouldn't say "news on that front next week." Just waiting for the official announcement. 

If this is the case, it won't be Lawson, White, Deifel or Ford as they were all out recruiting for their current teams as of yesterday.  If it were a done deal, as Bohls eludes to, it's not them.  So if it's not them, and it's not Kolaitis, I'm really worried we are scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.  Oh, and Cat is out of town on vacation in Greece, so...

Edited by texashorn13
  • Like 1

Maybe Eriksen will miss his flight home from Japan.

It is crazy how lowkey this search has been kept. I have some really good contacts in the travel ball world. They are usually out front, and on point with their intel. However, these rumors have been all over the place. I have heard it's Eriksen, and I have heard from another source that it is absolutely not Eriksen. I have heard it was Walton, and I believe there was some truth to that, although he chose to stay at Florida. I have heard Mike White, Torina, Lawson and others. No one really seems to have a clue as to WTF is going on here. I hope CDC has his mind made up and is just letting it stew until the time is right.