2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

3 hours ago, Trent Whaley said:

Good luck to Coach Clark. I think she would be a really good coach at a smaller D1 program on the west coast where she had her success as a player. As far as the Texas job, I think they need to go out and hire a proven head coach not someone like Cat. The sec is where I would be looking. And if you can’t get a big time coach to leave their program then you look at top assistant Coaches like Lisa Fernandez.

What about Gerry Glasco?   His resume is impressive. Nobody has mentioned this candidate. 

28 minutes ago, midwesthorn said:

What about Gerry Glasco?   His resume is impressive. Nobody has mentioned this candidate. 

I personally think that would be a good hire. I’m for any Coach with Head coaching experience or an experienced AC with a ton of coaching experience. I just hope it isn’t Cat Osterman.

if you are looking for a Glasco type candidate, then Pete D’amour of Kennesaw State would make sense. My personal top 5 would be

1. Tim Walton- probably ain’t leaving Florida

2. Glenn Moore- a good coach and knows the state

3. Trish Ford - has been good at all stops

4. Jimmy Kolaitis- Oregon asst is a tireless recruiter

5. Pete D’amour - young up and comer who has built Kennesaw State really quickly.

5b- Clint Myers - former Auburn coach left amid controversy, Del Conte would have to make sure he doesn’t bring his sons with him.

Edited by FloridaHorn

fuck myers he had issues at ASU and did not learn from them he is not worth the risk especially with all the sexual harassment stuff going on now in every aspect of everything

while what his son did was not on the sandusky level bringing him in "without the sons" is like bringing in paterno without sandusky

myers knew his son liked to boink players and still brought him to Auburn and fuck if you can get in trouble and get fired from Auburn I want you nowhere near Texas

no parent is going to think "oh well Texas said his sons are not there" they are going to think "what other shit bag player boinker is this guy going to hire instead" and they would be right for thinking that

plus Texas has had enough issues with coaches boinking people and the ramifications of that and it would certainly not help a certain lawsuit to bring in an old fat white guy with a two time history of player boinking issues on his staff to coach a womens team

Gerry Glascoe would be a great hire, BUT, there is NO way he should be looking at this job.  It would be his fourth school in less than a calendar year and that is a really bad look, even if it is a step up.  I'm pretty sure he is hoping to end up back at aTm when Evans retires, and I don't think he's willing to take Texas for that reason.

38 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

What cory Myers did at Auburn was bad, but an adult man banging an adult female while his old man looked the other way, is in no way close to Paterno’s sick ass covering up for a child molester for 30 years.

of course, but the example was "well bring in the head coach not the guy that actually did something"

and if the argument is "well paterno knew and covered it up" (which all signs say he did) well myers knew his son did stuff at ASU and he still brought him in to Auburn so he looked the other way and it happened again

I fully agree on the differences of the incidents, but the point is myers looked the other way already one time why would a place like Texas give him yet another chance even if he was not the one that actually did anything.....other than looking the other way of course and allowing another incident after ASU to happen at Auburn

11 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

of course, but the example was "well bring in the head coach not the guy that actually did something"

and if the argument is "well paterno knew and covered it up" (which all signs say he did) well myers knew his son did stuff at ASU and he still brought him in to Auburn so he looked the other way and it happened again

I fully agree on the differences of the incidents, but the point is myers looked the other way already one time why would a place like Texas give him yet another chance even if he was not the one that actually did anything.....other than looking the other way of course and allowing another incident after ASU to happen at Auburn

Corey was not at ASU with Clint. Corey was working in Alabama with the Birmingham Thunderbolts travel ball organization. Clint came  Auburn because they allowed him to hire his kids

51 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Corey was not at ASU with Clint. Corey was working in Alabama with the Birmingham Thunderbolts travel ball organization. Clint came  Auburn because they allowed him to hire his kids

well it was not an issue with him as a coach, but there were still issues

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/20939454/clint-myers-former-auburn-softball-coach-reprimanded-arizona-state-son-corey-myers

the guy has baggage that Texas does not need

Has Osterman done a good job with the Bobcat staff? Being a great player doesn't mean you're a decent coach, in fact many times the greatest players are terrible coaches because they can't comprehend why the people they're coaching don't just do it right because it was natural to them.

If Osterman has done a good job coaching then absolutely bring her in as a pitching assistant for all the obvious reasons. But being a great player for us means nothing when it comes to being a coach for us unless it's backed up by coaching success.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Has Osterman done a good job with the Bobcat staff? Being a great player doesn't mean you're a decent coach, in fact many times the greatest players are terrible coaches because they can't comprehend why the people they're coaching don't just do it right because it was natural to them.

If Osterman has done a good job coaching then absolutely bring her in as a pitching assistant for all the obvious reasons. But being a great player for us means nothing when it comes to being a coach for us unless it's backed up by coaching success.

Check out her time at DePaul as pitching coach and her time at St. Edward’s, as well as Texas State.  She has worked hard with her pitchers and has been successful, trying to dispel the great athlete/not great coach perception. After 10 years in coaching, she has developed into a good coach. However, my opinion is a bit biased. Check out the success of her past pitchers.

21 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

rumor on a couple of other sites states that Tim Walton has been offered 1 million per season to coach Texas. I doubt if we will no anything for sure until after the WCWS.

Wow. Rumor I hear is Jenn Rocha is going to Mizzou.  This is interesting. 

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Cat's bio.  https://txstatebobcats.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1048&path=softball

She's done pretty well at TSU and DePaul was winning too.  Agreed that she's not quite head-coach-qualified yet.  And she has a master's in sports psychology.

College sports are 80% recruiting and 20% coaching. 

Biggest reason I would want Cat as the pitching coach is I have no doubt she would land big name recruits in Austin. 

36 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

College sports are 80% recruiting and 20% coaching. 

Biggest reason I would want Cat as the pitching coach is I have no doubt she would land big name recruits in Austin. 

80% recruiting and 20% coaching???? Damn, guess we shouldn't have fired Mack or Charlie Strong after all....and Shaka's great classes have certainly led to tremendous success on the courts. Clint Myers showed up to a cesspool at Auburn and had them in the WCWS in year 2. He did it mostly with Tina Deese's bad recruits. Mickey Dean won at JMU with kids no one else wanted. Coaching makes a huge difference....and winning means that recruits want to play for you. I think you got your numbers backwards.

14 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

80% recruiting and 20% coaching???? Damn, guess we shouldn't have fired Mack or Charlie Strong after all....and Shaka's great classes have certainly led to tremendous success on the courts. 

Go see who normally wins national titles. It's almost always the teams with top rated recruiting classes. This is from 2016 but certainly worth a listen. 

https://art19.com/shows/college-football-recruiting-podcast/episodes/1251d5e3-28dd-40fe-b845-fc6c34f4a6c9

Mack won a national title because he recruited at an elite level. Very meh coach but still won a national title because recruiting matters. I'll take an elite recruiter any day over a good coach. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

80% recruiting and 20% coaching???? Damn, guess we shouldn't have fired Mack or Charlie Strong after all....and Shaka's great classes have certainly led to tremendous success on the courts. Clint Myers showed up to a cesspool at Auburn and had them in the WCWS in year 2. He did it mostly with Tina Deese's bad recruits. Mickey Dean won at JMU with kids no one else wanted. Coaching makes a huge difference....and winning means that recruits want to play for you. I think you got your numbers backwards.

I wouldn’t say it’s that percentage but I certainly think that recruiting is more important at the college level than coaching. There’s not that many different ways to teach a player how to hit or throw a ball.

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Go see who normally wins national titles. It's almost always the teams with top rated recruiting classes. This is from 2016 but certainly worth a listen. 

https://art19.com/shows/college-football-recruiting-podcast/episodes/1251d5e3-28dd-40fe-b845-fc6c34f4a6c9

Mack won a national title because he recruited at an elite level. Very meh coach but still won a national title because recruiting matters. I'll take an elite recruiter any day over a good coach. 

Absolutely agree.

19 minutes ago, Trent Whaley said:

I wouldn’t say it’s that percentage but I certainly think that recruiting is more important at the college level than coaching. There’s not that many different ways to teach a player how to hit or throw a ball.

Recruit like OU has been recruiting and it won't matter who the coach is. 

We will likely win big. 

How did MacKay succeed at OU and then struggle at Texas as the hitting coach? It's pretty simple. Talent. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 minutes ago, Trent Whaley said:

With that being said, I still think their are better potential AC and pitching coaches that would be better than Cat.

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Recruit like OU has been recruiting and it won't matter who the coach is. 

We will likely win big. 

How did McKay succeed at OU and then struggle at Texas as the hitting coach? It's pretty simple. Talent. 

Agree 

Edited by Trent Whaley

29 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Go see who wins national titles in Softball....It's the same people that we are all saying are the best coaches. Walton, Gasso, Candrea, Myers, and Murphy. Yes they recruit well, but a lot of that good recruiting is because kids want to play for the best teams. I am not saying that recruiting is not important, but you guys are kidding yourself if you think a great in game manager doesn't make a tremendous amount of difference in the bat and ball sports....and there are a million different ways to teach a kid to hit a ball....That's why there are good hitting coaches and bad hitting coaches. Do you honestly think that all of those kids at LSU just forgot how to hit when they got to school? They didn't, but the coaching they are getting is not working, which is why they have to win every game by one run.

Edited by FloridaHorn

I mean yeah, having a good coach and elite recruiter is the goal. Both matter. 

You are drastically undervaluing the importance of recruiting though. Recruiting at an elite level is the main ingredient to the type success we want. There's all types of data in college football that prove this very point. 

The podcast I posted above from Bud Elliott does a great job of breaking down why recruiting is so important. Elliott even came up with a "blue-chip ratio" where he can pretty much predict who wins a national title in football based on recruiting rankings. Bottom line is talent normally wins. There's obviously outliers, but go get a lot of talent and that's the key to winning big. 

"Walton, Gasso, Candrea, Myers, and Murphy". I'm too lazy to look this stuff up, but I'm willing to bet these coaches all consistently land top 10 recruiting classes. At worst. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Football recruiting and softball recruiting are two different animals. Recruiting in softball is very important, but winning games is what will make the kids want to come here. I will do the work for you, here is a look at the 2017 top ten classes....I think you will see a couple of familiar faces on there, that just aren't winning at the same pace as the others.

1 UCLA 996 6 #'s: 1, 7, 19, 26, 31, 126
2 Auburn 912 7 #'s: 5, 24, 32, 66, 83, 131, 154
3 Florida 849 6 #'s: 10, 13, 22, 64, 78, 170
4 Mississippi State 803 6 #'s: 4, 33, 34, 60, 129, 143
5 Alabama 783 5 #'s: 15, 27, 39, 56, 85
6 Arizona 781 6 #'s: 44, 48, 53, 77, 79, 124
7 Texas 722 5 #'s: 20, 25, 36, 65, 137
8 Oregon 711 4 #'s: 12, 18, 23, 40
9 Missouri 704 7 #'s: 11, 38, 45, 98, 148, 178, 185
10 Michigan 672 4

#'s: 6, 8, 57, 61

Auburn, new coach, great recruits....mediocre season.

Mississippi State, same old crappy coach, great recruits....mediocre season

Texas, see Mississippi State

Missouri, See Auburn

Oklahoma had a down year recruiting, but were very strong in 2016.

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

Football recruiting and softball recruiting are two different animals. Recruiting in softball is very important, but winning games is what will make the kids want to come here.

I don't understand your point? I agree winning plays a role in recruiting. Just like it does in football for Ohio State, Alabama, and USC. They win so it helps attract recruits. That doesn't deny the importance of talent when it comes to winning. 

The above data doesn't tell me much because 1) there's always going to be outliers and 2) a single recruiting class of FR isn't reflective of the overall talent level of a team (see OU).  

Find the last 5 softball national champions and I'm willing to bet the average of the 4 recruiting classes for each national champion is ranked in the top 8. 

Edited by texasstrong12

It’s a chicken and egg argument. You think recruiting leads to winning and makes the coach look good, and I believe winning and a good coach lead to better players. The one place we greatly differ on is the importance a coach actually plays on the winning side of things. 

Tier 1 Candidates (aka, throw money at them, see what happens):

Tim Walton (Florida) - rumor is Texas is the only job he'd leave Florida for
Pat Murphy (Alabama) - almost left Alabama once
Kelly Inouye-Perez (UCLA) - PAC-12 coaches make shit money
Mike White (Oregon) - bidding war that would requite a lot of promises since they just opened a brand new stadium he worked for
Loni Alameda (FSU) - ACC is not a great conference

Tier 2 Candidates (P5 or top G-5 coaches who could stand to move up)

Beth Torina (LSU)
Rachel Lawson (Kentucky) - time to move up in the softball world, but would also probably need some assurances since she helped open the new park
Trisha Ford (ASU)
Glenn Moore (Baylor) - might be hard to pull a conference rival coach
Gerry Glasco (ULL) - has only been there a season
Courtney Deifel (Arkansas) - building something

Tier 3 Candidates (top dog assistants)

Melyssa Lombardi (OU) - does she want to face her mentor 3-4 times a year?
Jen Rocha (Florida)
Jimmy Kolaitis (Oregon)
Tony Baldwin (Georgia)

I love Cat, want her here in some capacity, but wouldn't be opposed to her taking a top job at a Sun Belt or MWC school to build herself some HC cred first before she eventually ends up here if the next coach doesn't work out.

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Mike White (Oregon) - bidding war that would requite a lot of promises since they just opened a brand new stadium he worked for

Beth Torina (LSU)
Rachel Lawson (Kentucky) - time to move up in the softball world, but would also probably need some assurances since she helped open the new park
Trisha Ford (ASU)

Jen Rocha (Florida)
Jimmy Kolaitis (Oregon)
Tony Baldwin (Georgia)

I love Cat, want her here in some capacity, but wouldn't be opposed to her taking a top job at a Sun Belt or MWC school to build herself some HC cred first before she eventually ends up here if the next coach doesn't work out.

Where do I send my $9.95?

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Beth Torina (LSU)
Trisha Ford (ASU)

Jen Rocha (Florida)
Jimmy Kolaitis (Oregon)
Tony Baldwin (Georgia)

Walton - for sure
Murphy - Alabama seems to underachieve at times. Needs super special pitchers to win... sounds familiar
Inouye-Perez - might be tough to get her to leave her Alma-mater. Lisa Fernandez might, but she has no head coaching experience
Mike White - We ain't out bidding Knight
Alameda - meh. agree on conf strength. Let's see how they do in the tourney.

Torina - weird personality. They underachieve at times imo.
Lawson - After watching KY last night against OR, she might be my #2. If she can get that quality of players at KY imagine what she could do here.
Ford - Hard to tell because ASU gets good players no matter who is coaching
Moore - probably a long shot
Glasco - let him be at ULL for a few years
Deifel - my #3

Totally agree on Cat. It would be an emotional hire and not a smart hire. Maybe we could get an Cat/Megan combo...

That aggy pitcher wanted nothing to do with that inning. Amazing what nerves can do in pressure situations. When the aggy coach came out for a mound visit after the lead off walk the pitcher was almost in tears. 

I would have made a change after the lead off walk. It was clear she was rattled. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Is Show hurt?

Good question !    

Looking at the stats,  she pitched the first regional game against Prairie View but has only pinch hit since.   Actually,  the other two pitchers have better era,  but unless she is injured not a good decision.     The losing pitcher,  Harrington, started the game,  was relieved,  and then put back in for the 7th.    That scenario does not work very much, if at all. 

Maybe Show will transfer to Texas.☺️

Edited by torre