2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

17 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Just noticed the tournament so far has been 100% chalk. All 16 regional hosts made it to supers, and all 8 super regional hosts won their super regional. #1-#8 are all in the world series

Points to a sport that is not very competitive.  Women's basketball is always much closer to chalk than men's as well.  There just is not nearly the depth of athletic talent among women.

18 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

She is the polar opposite of Earleywhine and that was the main criteria for Mizzou.  Safe hire.

Yep. Totally agree.

Back to Texas...I don't think anyone would be announcing any coaching changes till after the holiday weekend. 

32 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Points to a sport that is not very competitive.  Women's basketball is always much closer to chalk than men's as well.  There just is not nearly the depth of athletic talent among women.

Exactly. So back to those posts on recruiting. Softball recruiting...especially from FLO SOFTBALL... is NOT the same as  top 100 football and basketball lists that some of these prior posts have referenced.  If folks on this blog think FLO softball is the equivalent ranking system as football and basketball, then they are misled. FLO Softball rankings and recruiting is highly controlled by club coaches/directors. It's subjective and based on recommendations.  Class of 2017 #20 at Texas did not contribute this year. #40 at Oregon is NOT on Oregon's roster for the WSCS. Certain coaches and clubs build these kids resumes, submit to flo softball probs cause Flo softball is broadcasting and selling viewing rights to their tournaments.  College coaches buy into this process...its all they got! It's not football where camps note every prospect's 40 time and you can see Florida's best play against Georgia's best!  And paid journalists and football scouts cover every inch of the 50 states.  "5 star" softball recruits fail at a significantly higher percentage than in football.  How a sb recruit plays in one or two games can determine an offer.

In addition, male athletes have a reason to keep getting better to get to the next level. It is called the NBA and NFL. If you haven't noticed, those contracts are much more lucrative than a NPF contract. Lol. Maybe some of these top rated high school softball players just fizzle out when they get to the next level. 

Recruiting matters a bunch.  Maybe as much as basketball and football.  But it is much harder to do it right in softball.

• Like 2

“But it is much harder to do it right in softball.”

esp if you are resting on your laurels and/or feelibg no real pressure for years in your position   There’s such a thing as outworking your competition, even given a high level of uncertainty in the data you are working with

I doubt it's McKay. It's been a week and half since our season ended. If McKay was the choice he would have likely already been promoted. 

It seems pretty clear to me that we are targeting a coach that's still playing. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

I will be shocked at this point, if Tim Walton is not the first offer. We will see how high, salary wise, CDC is willing to go. All those who think Walton would never leave Florida are wrong. If CDC puts Patty Gasso type money on the table, Tim will have a hard time saying no. Tim Walton’s ego will not let him turn down a chance to be the savior of UT softball and the highest paid coach in the country. 

If Im CDC, I offer something like $600K per year, with performance bonuses that could push it to a million if they win an NC.

Edited by FloridaHorn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

I will be shocked at this point, if Tim Walton is not the first offer. We will see how high, salary wise, CDC is willing to go. All those who think Walton would never leave Florida are wrong. If CDC puts Patty Gasso type money on the table, Tim will have a hard time saying no. Tim Walton’s ego will not let him turn down a chance to be the savior of UT softball and the highest paid coach in the country. 

If Im CDC, I offer something like $600K per year, with performance bonuses that could push it to a million if they win an NC.

"Ok, you've got a deal on one condition: I never have to speak to Plonsky."

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:32 PM, FloridaHorn said:

if you are looking for a Glasco type candidate, then Pete D’amour of Kennesaw State would make sense. My personal top 5 would be

1. Tim Walton- probably ain’t leaving Florida

2. Glenn Moore- a good coach and knows the state

3. Trish Ford - has been good at all stops

4. Jimmy Kolaitis- Oregon asst is a tireless recruiter

5. Pete D’amour - young up and comer who has built Kennesaw State really quickly.

5b- Clint Myers - former Auburn coach left amid controversy, Del Conte would have to make sure he doesn’t bring his sons with him.

D'amour to Virginia Tech. Cross him off.

I sure hope Texas lands Tim Walton, because Pete D'amour is one of the young rising stars in this sport....great coach, great recruiter, and the girls love to play for him. Va Tech got a good one, and Missouri and NC State both missed out on a potential HR hire. Rumor has it that NC State is looking at Kolaitis, and that would be a great hire as well.

Sooner Schooner derailed in OKC to UW, 2-0. First loss in their last 13 games in OKC and Paige Parker's first postseason loss in OKC. Have to play out to the loser's bracket (not impossible for OU with that offense, but you never want to because it's very difficult and taxing on your pitching staff).

This game was a total 180 from the first game 11-6 slugfest that was Oregon and ASU.  UW had some awesome defense, especially at short stop. OU's bunt defense was pretty garbage.

• Like 1

Great game by UW !    They played perfect.   No walks/no errors/great D.   Manufactured 2 runs with small ball and timely hits.   Everyone try to catch the replay.

Super coaching staff with Heather Tarr and two very experienced assistants.

• Like 1

Sooners will face ASU in the loser's bracket. G. Juarez got roughed up today by Oregon, but they are also very familiar with her from conference play.  Will be another tough pitcher for OU to face tomorrow, staring at elimination in the face.  0.91 ERA before today and almost 300 strikeouts to 38 walks.

Devils beat up Breanna Macha earlier this season, but haven't seen Juarez yet.  ASU got their licks against Oregon's excellent pitching staff, so they won't be afraid of good pitching (6 runs off Oregon).

Edited by Js1

19 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

I sure hope Texas lands Tim Walton, because Pete D'amour is one of the young rising stars in this sport....great coach, great recruiter, and the girls love to play for him. Va Tech got a good one, and Missouri and NC State both missed out on a potential HR hire. Rumor has it that NC State is looking at Kolaitis, and that would be a great hire as well.

Tim is a pipe dream and isn't happening...he will use UT for a pay raise.  He is getting a brand new, state of the art facility that will one-up what aTm just built.  They've already torn down the entire complex in Gainesville.  Plus his son is playing JUCO baseball in the Gainesville area.  The only thing that may work in our favor with getting Walton is that his wife does not like living in the area.

Pete D'Amour is a young star, you are correct there.  And an excellent guy.  Would have been a great hire for us on the field, but he is a very low key guy and would not have liked being the HC at Texas.  He is the anti glitz, glamour and fame that is demanded from coaches at Texas.

Kolaitis isn't going to NC State...book it.

1 hour ago, texashorn13 said:

Tim is a pipe dream and isn't happening...he will use UT for a pay raise.  He is getting a brand new, state of the art facility that will one-up what aTm just built.  They've already torn down the entire complex in Gainesville.  Plus his son is playing JUCO baseball in the Gainesville area.  The only thing that may work in our favor with getting Walton is that his wife does not like living in the area.

Pete D'Amour is a young star, you are correct there.  And an excellent guy.  Would have been a great hire for us on the field, but he is a very low key guy and would not have liked being the HC at Texas.  He is the anti glitz, glamour and fame that is demanded from coaches at Texas.

Kolaitis isn't going to NC State...book it.

I'm sure CDC will reach out regardless. I'm 99% sure a P5 coach like Walton, Lawson, Torina, Ford, Murphy, etc. aren't going going to listen seriously unless CDC promises facility upgrades. He's a master fundraiser, so it is in his wheelhouse. And to be fair - DKR got some upgrades and new locker rooms, brand new tennis center, BB is getting a new arena in the next 5 years due to the med school, upgrades at DFF -- CDC is going to have to commit money to softball.  You can't leave it out when making a coaching change. A big-name hire could jolt some fundraising in that regard.

You know damn well UT had to make some facility promises when hiring Herman, Smart, Joffe and Pierce. It comes with the pitch. McCombs Field can't get left out. Also, fuck me running, you know Plonsky is already pushing to get something at McCombs Field named after Clark.  The visiting locker room toilets would be fitting, since she tanked the program she built.

Still think our best bet is Lawson. She really maximizes what she can get out of recruiting at Kentucky. Give her Texas + facilities and she should absolutely be able to compete.  She's the kind of coach that will keep in-state talent away from Baylor/A&M.  No offense to the aggys (actually, a lot, you stupid chokers), but Jo Evans has maxed out what she'll accomplish at A&M.  She's a lot like Clark - she can make OKC every so often, but she ain't going to win it, even with really good talent (Gibson & Scarborough).

Please God, someone explain why everyone is mentioning Beth Torina for this job? She is a great pitching coach, but her teams don't hit, and her on the field decisions leave a lot to be desired. Pat Murphy has won exactly one NC in 20 plus years with Alabama....and he has done that with far more talent than Connie had at Texas. Tim Walton is from the West Coast, played baseball at OU, and would most certainly listen if Texas calls. Many people in Florida will tell you that Texas is, in fact, the only school he would leave Florida for. I know about the new facilities in Gainesville, but even then, UF cannot offer the total package to him that Texas can. Florida travel ball is not very good right now, Gainesville is a dreadful place to live, and he only makes 400K per year.

2 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

He is the anti glitz, glamour and fame that is demanded from coaches at Texas.

Solid post, but I always question this statement when it’s thrown out there, usually whenever new coaching coaching hires are discussed. Almost to a person, the grads and fans I talk to couldn’t care less about glitz, etc. Just win baby.

Granted you and I and CDC probably travel in different circles 

51 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Please God, someone explain why everyone is mentioning Beth Torina for this job? She is a great pitching coach, but her teams don't hit, and her on the field decisions leave a lot to be desired. Pat Murphy has won exactly one NC in 20 plus years with Alabama....and he has done that with far more talent than Connie had at Texas. Tim Walton is from the West Coast, played baseball at OU, and would most certainly listen if Texas calls. Many people in Florida will tell you that Texas is, in fact, the only school he would leave Florida for. I know about the new facilities in Gainesville, but even then, UF cannot offer the total package to him that Texas can. Florida travel ball is not very good right now, Gainesville is a dreadful place to live, and he only makes 400K per year.

Torina - maybe bc in her 7 years, LSU has made 5 super regionals and 4 WCWS. That's kinda good.  Sticking with Howard Dobson has been her downfall for sure. She'd have to leave him in Baton Rouge.

Say what you want about Patrick Murphy only having 1 title in 20 years with Alabama, but he has made every super regional since the format started; never had a team go less than .600 (his first Alabama team went .600) and 12/20 years with 50+ wins and 11 WCWS in 20 years.  Coaches who are making it to OKC over HALF the time they make the postseason is pretty dang good.  He was also the first to lead the SEC to a national title and did so with an almost all-home grown roster.  I mean, other coaches who have long tenures:

Patrick Murphy - 11 in 20 seasons (55%)

Carole Hutchins - 13 in 31 seasons (42%)

Mike Candrea - 22 in 32 years (69%) but a huge chunk of this was pre-super regional era, they haven't made is back since 2010

Diane Ninemire - 12 in 30 years (40%)

Jo Evans - 3 in 21 years at A&M (14%)

Patty Gasso - 11 in 23 years (52%)

Connie Clark - 5 in 23 seasons (22%)

I hesitate to even include Patty Gasso because what a luxury to get to play in your backyard every time you make the WCWS..... there's a reason they are 4/11 in winning the big game.

I've already told you what is probably the tier of coaches we are going after. My personal:

1. Throw money, incentives and facility upgrade promises at Tim Walton and see what happens.

2. Go hard at Rachel Lawson if Walton says no.

3. See if you can lure Pat Murphy from Alabama since he almost left once or dangle money at Diefel from Arkansas.

4. Gerry Glasco because the dude can recruit and coach. 

• Like 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

How much glitz, fame and glamour does a softball coach have to put up with? Even at Texas it doesn't seem like it's really comparable to the major sports. 

Zero. Zilch. Nada.

I'd argue he has to put up with it far more at Florida than at Texas. Because of what he has built.

Look at the expectations at Texas - making a super regional is considered an accomplishment right now. If the new coach does that in his first 2 seasons, he's getting an extension. That's how far down we've fallen in the expectations game thanks to Clark.  Shit, if he makes the WCWS in his first couple seasons, give him a 10 year extension because we're thirsty for postseason play longer than 3 games.

For fucking fucks sake, if the new coach can take a game off OU in the 3 game series, he's getting extended. Because we hasn't done that in a long time.

Lot of knowledgeable softball posters on this thread,  much more than I.

So  tell me,   isn't it very seldom a P5 softball head coach voluntarily transfers programs ?      Allison did leave Minn for Stanford, her alma mater,  Myers went to Auburn but there may have been issues at ASU.     Seems most programs go with an experienced, respected assistant or a successful mid-major coach.  

@FloridaHorn -   with all due respect,  they also said Texas was the only program O'Sullivan would leave for which he parlayed into a new facility and I think a new contract ?

With names mentioned,   it seems Glasco with Cat as pitching coach may be realistic ?

50 minutes ago, torre said:

Lot of knowledgeable softball posters on this thread,  much more than I.

So  tell me,   isn't it very seldom a P5 softball head coach voluntarily transfers programs ?      Allison did leave Minn for Stanford, her alma mater,  Myers went to Auburn but there may have been issues at ASU.     Seems most programs go with an experienced, respected assistant or a successful mid-major coach.  

@FloridaHorn -   with all due respect,  they also said Texas was the only program O'Sullivan would leave for which he parlayed into a new facility and I think a new contract ?

With names mentioned,   it seems Glasco with Cat as pitching coach may be realistic ?

The higher-up programs seem to stick with coaches for a long time. Clark, Candrea, Gasso, Murphy, Ninemire, Hutchins, Evans, Lu Harris Champer, Donna Papa, the Weeklys, Glenn Moore - these coaches have been there for 15-20+ years.  That's unheard of in coaching outside of lifers like Bowden, Mack, Augie, Reese, Russ Rose, JoePa, Mark Marquess, etc.  For softball, it's even worse!  If you're even a slightly above-average coach at a top 30 program, you're set for LIFE unless you retire or fuck up and piss off your higher ups.  These jobs don't ever open up until once in a blue moon, it seems.

Think about what I just said --

Michigan
Washington
Texas
Texas A&M
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
Arizona
UCLA
OU
Cal
Florida (this program is only 21 years old, and Walton has been the coach for 12)
Baylor

These jobs haven't been open in 15-30 years!  Even someone like JoAnn Graff at FSU was there for 30 years before she finally gave way to Alameda.

No AD cares enough about softball to kick out an average performer as long as they get to supers/OKC every once in a while.  Too bad for Clark she was below-average for her tenure and the players that ran through this program (Megan, Cat, Luna, Hoagland, Lexy Bennett, Amy Hooks, Christa Williams, etc.)

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

My above post was my way of saying a truly BIG TIME job has opened up voluntarily - it will most likely have domino effects on the rest of the college softball. Those coaches listed above, for some of them, when they took their jobs, it was a lot like Clark's situation (Murphy was the 2nd coach ever at Alabama 3 years after the program started), or the program was new-ish but not established (Florida) or the program was falling on hard times (OU...LSU...). 

Very rarely do you get a good situation like Kelly Inouye-Perez just stepping up from assistant to HC when Enquist retired.

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Thank god for CDC because like I said - expansion and upgrades have to be promised to lure a great coach to Texas.  It's an arm's race and Texas fell behind in coaching, recruiting and facilities.

CDC must be wanting to do great things for softball cause they already spent money on facility this fall...Like a million dollars in upgrades. 

Personally  I think McCombs Field currently ranks right up there in the NCAA for facilities as it stands. Its one of the nicer ones that I have been to. 

But if he is trying to entice a big time coach...he probs wants a big time plan to show the candidate(s)!  The suspense builds....

Woof woof. 

Huskies into the semis after shutting out the two time defending champs and knocking off #1 seed 6-2. 

Hard to beat a team 4 times. Huskies play terrific defense (minus that 7th inning). Oregon is such a postseason OKC choker, wouldn’t be surprised to see them not make it to Sunday. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

Torina - maybe bc in her 7 years, LSU has made 5 super regionals and 4 WCWS. That's kinda good.  Sticking with Howard Dobson has been her downfall for sure. She'd have to leave him in Baton Rouge.

Say what you want about Patrick Murphy only having 1 title in 20 years with Alabama, but he has made every super regional since the format started; never had a team go less than .600 (his first Alabama team went .600) and 12/20 years with 50+ wins and 11 WCWS in 20 years.  Coaches who are making it to OKC over HALF the time they make the postseason is pretty dang good.  He was also the first to lead the SEC to a national title and did so with an almost all-home grown roster.  I mean, other coaches who have long tenures:

Patrick Murphy - 11 in 20 seasons (55%)

Carole Hutchins - 13 in 31 seasons (42%)

Mike Candrea - 22 in 32 years (69%) but a huge chunk of this was pre-super regional era, they haven't made is back since 2010

Diane Ninemire - 12 in 30 years (40%)

Jo Evans - 3 in 21 years at A&M (14%)

Patty Gasso - 11 in 23 years (52%)

Connie Clark - 5 in 23 seasons (22%)

I hesitate to even include Patty Gasso because what a luxury to get to play in your backyard every time you make the WCWS..... there's a reason they are 4/11 in winning the big game.

This is a well written post, but the facts are wrong. Just for starters, Murphy did not win with a homegrown squad. He had 5 Alabama kids on that team. Most of them were bit players, and the team was led by a generational type pitcher in Jackie Traina, who is from naples Florida. Murphy was pretty good as long as Auburn had Tina Deese coaching, but once they hired Myers, Auburn immediately became the best program in the state. You can state Torina’s record at LSU all you want, but I personally know several kids who have played for her at FIU and LSU and none of them have a decent thing to say about her.

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Can somebody explain the format in OKC?  Four games on Day 1 and the winners all play on Day 2 and the losers on Day 3?  Fucking weird.

Losers get a day off to rest their staff because they need to win 4 times in 2 days to advance to the champ series. For every win you get, you cut down on the number of wins you need to advance to the series. Pro tip: win your games or have a deep staff 

5 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

This is a well written post, but the facts are wrong. Just for starters, Murphy did not win with a homegrown squad. He had 5 Alabama kids on that team. Most of them were bit players, and the team was led by a generational type pitcher in Jackie Traina, who is from naples Florida. Murphy was pretty good as long as Auburn had Tina Deese coaching, but once they hired Myers, Auburn immediately became the best program in the state. You can state Torina’s record at LSU all you want, but I personally know several kids who have played for her at FIU and LSU and none of them have a decent thing to say about her.

My comment on the Bama roster was something about how it was mostly players from the south. Think they had 1 west coast kid (Braud). Not a single player from the softball Mecca of California and won the title was something extraordinary at the time. 

3 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Why not use the format that Omaha does?  Because that makes too much sense and these are women???

The bracket play in Omaha is 8 days long. Bracket play in OKC is 4. Everyone plays the first day, then they go from there. In Omaha, you only play every other day. 

Function of baseball games being longer and you can’t have the staffs play 2 games per day.