2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

2 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

Link?

It was PM'ed to me on Twitter but I deleted it. It was posted last Thursday by Chip Brown I believe but it's probably behind a paywall. 

Edit: Yeah, it's behind a paywall. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Board/21/Contents/Eyes-of-Texas-Longhorns-Time-for-a-coaching-change-for-UT-Softball-head-coach-Connie-Clark-Cat-Osterman-potential-candidate-118294724

Edited by texasstrong12

Love Cat but this is 100% true. Need a change but Cat shouldn't be the head coach. 

Also of note, one of Tim Walton's most recent follows on Twitter is Chris Del Conte. Certainly interesting as that was a name thrown out there by Chip Brown. 

Edited by texasstrong12

this is all I need to know right here

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-softball-recruiting-ones-got-away/

Clark said Texas doesn’t actively recruit players that have already committed elsewhere.

“To me, that’s as good as signing a letter of intent,” Clark said. “It’s an integrity thing. I’ve had that happen to me, where a player committed and then another school came in and snagged her out from under me, and it’s not a good feeling.”

get the fuck out of here with that bullshit It's Division I football! It's the Big 12! It ain't intramurals

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

this is all I need to know right here

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-softball-recruiting-ones-got-away/

Clark said Texas doesn’t actively recruit players that have already committed elsewhere.

“To me, that’s as good as signing a letter of intent,” Clark said. “It’s an integrity thing. I’ve had that happen to me, where a player committed and then another school came in and snagged her out from under me, and it’s not a good feeling.”

get the fuck out of here with that bullshit It's Division I football! It's the Big 12! It ain't intramurals

Holy shit that's Mack level bullshit

2 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

It's worse than Mack level....Softball players routinely verbally commit by the time they are 14 years old. That means that Connie is recruiting kids that no one else wanted.

Not any more...

https://nfca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7784:it-passed-softball-recruiting-contact-date-set-at-september-1-junior-year&catid=284&Itemid=149

5 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

It's worse than Mack level....Softball players routinely verbally commit by the time they are 14 years old. That means that Connie is recruiting kids that no one else wanted.

It shows. That's why blaming Mckay for the hitting struggles is laughable. We have a roster out there that should be starting for a non-P5 school. 

Edited by texasstrong12

yea reading that recruiting quote did make me thing of Mack just no killer instinct and trying to set some type of imaginary rules to be "above it all" while ignoring the fact that no one else out there anywhere plays by that same stupid rule.....because it is stupid and they are actually trying to win every year and keep their job

I mean what else could she say "I did not go after those 3 runs in the bottom of the 8th because when you are up 5-2 you do not want to be a bad sport and run up the score" or "people already have a grudge against Texas because of all the resources so I try and not make that worse by going after all the top players"

shit like what is going on here is the signature of the chris plodski era at Texas which can be summed up with something like......."just go out there with the kids and have fun and play hard and do the best you can to be competitive" or "you can't win a championship every year" (or most years....or at all)

Several TCU fans told me that when CDC was hired he wouldn't make coaching changes until he had his next choice already lined up. 

If Clark is fired, I'm betting it doesn't happen until CDC pretty much has his next option ready to hire. 

If the coaches CDC is interested in are still playing, I wouldn't expect a Clark firing anytime soon. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Thing is, CDC hasn't had to meet with a softball coach in a long time, maybe ever? (IDK where he was before TCU but TCU doesn't have softball)

Perhaps he's still "learning" about the program and the sport in general. 

He was at Rice, which also doesn't have a softball team. But he was at Arizona, one of the old powerhouses of softball, as an assistant director.

Edited by Aleemay

20 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

He was at Rice, which also doesn't have a softball team. But he was at Arizona, one of the old powerhouses of softball, as an assistant director.

I have no clue how true this is but I've seen several people say "CDC is a softball guy". Based on what I've read online, CDC is apparently good friends with Mike Candrea.

Having a softball program at a school like TCU might not be an option for several reasons. 

I'm under the impression softball is actually kind of in his wheelhouse. 

Edited by texasstrong12

The longer this shit drags out, the more I become worried that nothing will happen. Over the next month, recruiting heats up in a big way, and we need to have a coach on staff ready to hit the ground running. Not to mention, this is transfer season. Many good players have their releases in hand and are looking for a new opportunity. A stud pitcher, and a good bat in the middle of the order would fix a lot of issues with this team.

• Like 1

Oh hey.

Bye Felicia. It was time to pass the baton 4 years ago, but thanks so much for finally "deciding" it was time. Sorry to see your pussy pal Plonsky wasn't quoted in the official release. Your protection failed you and you were a dead woman walking as soon as CDC got hired.giphy.gif

• Like 1

Good luck to Coach Clark. I think she would be a really good coach at a smaller D1 program on the west coast where she had her success as a player. As far as the Texas job, I think they need to go out and hire a proven head coach not someone like Cat. The sec is where I would be looking. And if you can’t get a big time coach to leave their program then you look at top assistant Coaches like Lisa Fernandez.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I never buy the “stepping down” business. She was given an ultimatum of stepping down or getting fired so of course she chose to step down

That would be my guess as well.  If you can't compete against the best,  and recruit the best players, you just can't win the big games.  She apparently knew this.  I appreciate her being here and the good ole days, but she obviously knew it was time.  Good luck.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

That would be my guess as well.  If you can't compete against the best,  and recruit the best players, you just can't win the big games.  She apparently knew this.  I appreciate her being here and the good ole days, but she obviously knew it was time.  Good luck.

Like hell she knew it was time.  If she were allowed to return, she would have.  She had a cushy job with, until now, very low expectations.

Fuck her lazy ass and good riddance.

34 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

41 minutes ago, Trent Whaley said:

Good luck to Coach Clark. I think she would be a really good coach at a smaller D1 program on the west coast where she had her success as a player. As far as the Texas job, I think they need to go out and hire a proven head coach not someone like Cat. The sec is where I would be looking. And if you can’t get a big time coach to leave their program then you look at top assistant Coaches like Lisa Fernandez.

Well said !

It was past time for her to go for numerous reasons but all coaches have trouble knowing when the time is up.

19 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Edited by torre

8 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So.....wonder who CDC will consider?  I'm thinking there's a good chance he already has someone in mind.   Good chance he may be in OKC scouting.

It is going to be very interesting. Because with all the praise that CDC has received this will presumably be his first Coaching hire at Texas. I guess we’ll see how good of an AD he really is.

Edited by Trent Whaley

3 minutes ago, Trent Whaley said:

It is going to be very interesting. Because with all the praise that CDC has received this will presumably be his first Coaching hire at Texas. I guess we’ll see how good of an AD he really is.

Because it all hinges on this one hire?  Hardly.

6 minutes ago, Trent Whaley said:

CDC is a  wise person.      I am sure he will consult with his AD friends and other appropriate people.   TexasStrong mentioned that CDC knew Mike Candrea, Arizona coach,  from his time at Arizona as asst AD.    Good place to start for advice.

The more I think about this situation, my guess (and wild guess only) is that they may have wanted to terminate CC last year,  but she asked for and was granted permission to serve the final year without an extension.    It's not normal for Texas to let a coach serve final year without an extension or retirement announcement.    Meaning that they have long been reviewing candidates. 

18 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Because it all hinges on this one hire?  Hardly.

Did I say that? The bottom line is that this will be his first hire. Can he influence big time head coaches and convince them to come to Texas? Does he even view the job as being a potentially elite program? 

This hire IMO will tell a lot about CDC and whether or not Texas is serious about being great in softball. You could add the track and field coach but it’s pretty obvious that Coach Bailey will have the interim tag removed and will be named head coach, and rightfully so. 

9 minutes ago, Trent Whaley said:

Did I say that? The bottom line is that this will be his first hire. Can he influence big time head coaches and convince them to come to Texas? Does he even view the job as being a potentially elite program? 

This hire IMO will tell a lot about CDC and whether or not Texas is serious about being great in softball. You could add the track and field coach but it’s pretty obvious that Coach Bailey will have the interim tag removed and will be named head coach, and rightfully so. 

It will be interesting to watch.  I have the feeling that he will do a great job selling potential candidates on Texas.

54 minutes ago, torre said:

CDC is a  wise person.      I am sure he will consult with his AD friends and other appropriate people.   TexasStrong mentioned that CDC knew Mike Candrea, Arizona coach,  from his time at Arizona as asst AD.    Good place to start for advice.

The more I think about this situation, my guess (and wild guess only) is that they may have wanted to terminate CC last year,  but she asked for and was granted permission to serve the final year without an extension.    It's not normal for Texas to let a coach serve final year without an extension or retirement announcement.    Meaning that they have long been reviewing candidates. 

That is an interesting and facially valid point.  May have held off to complete the CDC hire, which likely was in the works about this time last year, so he has probably been on it from day 1.

1 hour ago, torre said:

Interesting thought...could be why Wright decided to forego her last year.