2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Tony Soprano said:

Seeing us hire a bigtime coach so easily just makes you more mad at Plonsky and how she screwed the fans over. All to protect her buddy. Sad that this kind of stuff was allowed at UT for so long, and in so many sports. White will come in here and make us what we should have been all along. This is Texas.

Former President Powers was comfortable with the mediocrity. The upgrading of athletic facilities is also something that should have occurred long ago. It’s nice to see that has also changed.

• Like 1

This probably falls in the category of CSB. Back in the dark ages, before Title IX, high school girls who wanted to play competitive softball had to go through local sports associations. My older sister played on a team coached by my mom and they were really good. After high school, she and two of the other really good players wanted to play in college, but aggy was the only SWC school with a team. My dad approached the UT AD (DKR) and offered to fund a Texas team. He was turned down and UT wouldn’t get a softball oldie another 25 years.

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Bama has no incentive to just let her out of her NLI. 

They have no incentive to let her out of her NLI but schools normally just release them. It happens all the time in college football and basketball but under different circumstances. Coach takes another job, school refuses to release signee, media goes crazy, and then the school eventually releases the signee from their NLI. 

It's not worth the headache even for elite players/signees. Once a player or signee wants to leave it's not worth taking the PR hit by restricting college athletes. 

I'm not saying Fouts is a realistic option but Alabama releasing her from the NLI wouldn't end up being that big of problem I'm guessing. Alabama would probably push back and eventually release her. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Yeah but what’s her valid reason? Murphy didn’t leave. She’s not a Texan. AFAIK she didn’t give Oregon a look. Would be very odd. Probably a coincidence. 

I wouldn’t bet on Fouts. I’d wait to see if Balint wants out at Oregon and looks to follow White. Show is an option. I still think what we have on campus is serviceable. White knows how to develop freshman pitchers. 

Edited by Js1

The important things I took away from the press conference were 

1) White wants more power in the lineup. I'm sure he's trying to find a few bats in recruiting/transfer market that can hit for power. 

2) Something I didn't think about but White brought up in the press conference is the fact being a former pitcher should help our hitters. Nice asset to have a coach who can throw batting practice with quality stuff. 

3) White made it sound like assistants all over the country are interested. White said his phone was ringing constantly after Kolaits was hired and after he was hired at Texas. 

4) Recruiting is going to be national. There's clearly more talent in Texas than Oregon but it's obvious White will look for talent all over. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Don't forget that DJ Sanders transferred from ULL to Oregon after Lotief was fired. I don't follow softball closely but from what I've read it sounds like there's some type of relationship between White and Lotief. 

Would people be upset if we hired Lotief as an assistant? 

Because damn.......White as the pitching coach and Lotief as the hitting coach would be as good as anyone in the country.

https://www.iberianet.com/sports/ragin-cajuns-softball-star-sanders-transfers-to-oregon/article_e90b176a-d390-11e7-94bd-8b9e5319f53a.html

Edited by texasstrong12

The roster is now up as "Preliminary Fall 2018 Roster." I don't think I've ever seen it called "preliminary."

White is going to add as many bodies as he can.

Something I didn't think about but White brought up in the press conference is the fact being a former pitcher should help our hitters. Nice asset to have a coach who can throw batting practice with quality stuff. 

This is why Oregon has been so good.  He can simulate just about every type of pitch for batters. 

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The roster is now up as "Preliminary Fall 2018 Roster." I don't think I've ever seen it called "preliminary."

White is going to add as many bodies as he can.

This is why Oregon has been so good.  He can simulate just about every type of pitch for batters. 

Most every staff in the country has a coach that can throw live BP. I think maybe he helps them more from the mental side of things...Pitch selection, and pitch recognition.

3 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Most every staff in the country has a coach that can throw live BP. I think maybe he helps them more from the mental side of things...Pitch selection, and pitch recognition.

Yes, but, they aren't being thrown live BP by probably the best fastpitch pitcher in men's softball history.

What about Lisle as the hitting coach? He had great success at South Carolina last year in the SEC. White said he was also interested in bringing his Oregon asst to Texas, but I think she mainly works with defense.

I think the first hire has got to be hitting coach/recruiting coordinator.

Does anyone think that Oregon will circle back around to Jimmy Kolaitis as Head Coach? And, would he leave UAB without ever coaching a game?

That would be a bad look for him. I know it didn't affect Chris Beard when he went from UNLV to Tech like 3 weeks after taking the job, but still.  Don't be surprised if Oregon looks for someone already as a HC - Lawson maybe?

Chelsea Spencer is his defensive coach for sure.  He will go out and hire a hitting coach/recruiting coordinator.  Who? No clue.

I think it depends on what, exactly, White was looking for versus what Lawson would be looking for.

By all accounts, White got a HUGE bump. 237k to a rumored 750-800k or more. He's one of the top 3 coaches in America, he does deserve that much money.

I like Lawson, but throwing 350-400k at her is way more in line with her results and reputation.  If Oregon countered with that for White, I'm not surprised he laughed in their face and left.

Just looking at some of the top hitting teams in D-1 last year (p5 only):

#2 UCLA hit .335 - Fernandez and Walker are both UCLA alum, not going to get either of them
#3 Georgia hit .333 - Tony Baldwin
#7 Oregon hit .322 - Kolatis is at UAB, so forget it
#8 Baylor hit .322 - Mark Lumley but he's been with Moore since his LSU days
#9 OU hit .321 - that's JT and Patty combined (it was never McKay, it's a Gasso thing)
#10 Illinois hit .318 – Laura Trout is the hitting coach, but she’s very young (only 6 years out of college)
#15 Ok State hit .314 – Kenny G handles hitting

Baldwin was really good at UNC too.  If he can recruit, that might be a dynamic type of hire.

9 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Houston has a phenomenal softball pool of talent.  I know a number of former D1 players who coach in and around and when they talk about aspirations for their kids, Texas is never in the conversation.  Hopefully this will change.

Man I'm just sick of elite players within 3-4 hours of Austin going elsewhere.  Just look at the Texas Gatorade POYs and where they went:

2018 - Makinzy Herzog - FSU

2017 - Casey Dixon - ULL

2016 - Maddie McGrandle - A&M

2015 - Sam Show - A&M

2014 - Randi Rupp - Texas State

2012- Heather Sterns - Baylor

2011 - Paige McDuffee - UCLA

2009 and 2010 - Rachel Fox - Texas, transferred to A&M

2008 - Whitney Canion - Baylor

2007 - Brittany Barnhill - Texas, transferred to Ole Miss

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Mike White is going to do exactly what Tom Herman and Karen Aston came to Texas and did. Close the borders, keep the best players in-state, and get them to Texas.

while HS football (especially in Texas) is much different that Softball I am not solely interested in the idea of "keep the best Texas players in Texas" I am interested in recruit the best players from anywhere in the USA or the world especially if they happen to be from Texas

again I realize that HS football is a totally different animal especially how it is set up in Texas, but just focusing on Texas HS players in any sport is not paying off for Texas The University Of

6 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

while HS football (especially in Texas) is much different that Softball I am not solely interested in the idea of "keep the best Texas players in Texas" I am interested in recruit the best players from anywhere in the USA or the world especially if they happen to be from Texas

again I realize that HS football is a totally different animal especially how it is set up in Texas, but just focusing on Texas HS players in any sport is not paying off for Texas The University Of

If you can keep the best 7-8  in-state players in Texas and get them to Texas, recruit California for another 4-5 players to go with it and then cherry-pick elite 2-3 from across the country, you're golden.

Texas has good high school softball players that other programs are coming in and stealing. They just don't want to play for Connie Clark, and for good reason.

7 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I don't think JS was implying we stop recruiting outside of Texas, as even CC was able to get several players from outside of Texas. We keep doing what we're doing outside of Texas but ALSO lock down the states best players, which is something we have not been doing over the past decade

No we can't just recruit from Texas.  Let me put it this way, you take half of these players below (some of the best Texas players who didn't go to Texas), combine them with what we did get (Washington, Adams, Ellsworth, Wright) and go get a few from California (O'Leary, Romero, Leahy) and cherry-pick from the rest of the country (Hathaway - Kansas; Tedder - Alabama) and you've got an OKC ready roster with a Mike White coaching them.

Randi Rupp - Texas State
Lexi Smith - A&M
Goose McGlaun - Baylor
Kyla Walker - Baylor
Tori Vidales - A&M
Demi Turner - Bama
Kristen Cuyos - A&M
Morgan Klaevmann - FSU
Madi Sue Montgomery - Okie State
Amber Serrett - LSU

18 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I don't think JS was implying we stop recruiting outside of Texas, as even CC was able to get several players from outside of Texas. We keep doing what we're doing outside of Texas but ALSO lock down the states best players, which is something we have not been doing over the past decade

Yep.  Connie Clark has let entirely too much ELITE Texas players go elsewhere, while she's picking up the 2nd and 3rd tier in-state players and trying to fill in holes from California.  Mike White needs to lock down the state and then go cherry-picking in California, the Midwest and the Southeast.

I just have some concerns with a nationally known coach thinking they immediately need to get out there in Texas and get it done in Texas

while Connie and the "don't recruit against other programs and go after recruits they have talked to" was not getting it done at all I think there is room for the idea that you can land the best from Texas by first showing that you can land the best from a lot of places besides Texas

just like in football Ohio, the Florida schools, Georgia, LSU and others with a lot of talent in their state still come into Texas as hard or harder than their own state and the fact that they have success pulling players from Texas sells to top recruits in their state

I just want to see a national brand coach show that he can recruit nationally even if a few Texas players go elsewhere at first because I feel it is much harder to keep the out of state ties they have now than it will be to develop the Texas ties in the future especially if national recruiting is a success

Both Mike and CDC talked about the in-state talent in Texas. They know it starts at home.  You can say that for most of the elite teams in Texas Athletics that centered on in-state players.  There's something about elite in-state players when they play at Texas.

It's going to take Mike a little time, as the 2019 and 2020 recruits are committed and he's going to have to flip some.  He's done well at Oregon using transfers and he'll have to patch some roles in our roster using the same methods.  Pitching won't be a problem in the short-term; hitting will struggle without transfers.  Half our lineup should have been playing at TAMU-CC or Texas State.

Edited by Js1

I'm so ignorant of softball that I didn't even know men played fastpitch at competitive levels.  My interest in fastpitch softball comes from youth baseball.  The two sports are so close that it's hard to be a fan of baseball without appreciating and liking softball.  I love watching a good softball game.  I'm not a fan of the tiny infield though.    

19 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I'm so ignorant of softball that I didn't even know men played fastpitch at competitive levels.  My interest in fastpitch softball comes from youth baseball.  The two sports are so close that it's hard to be a fan of baseball without appreciating and liking softball.  I love watching a good softball game.  I'm not a fan of the tiny infield though.    

One of the past alums Marlee Galbaldon- her brother played fast pitch and was once the volunteer assistant coach for the team

I think the commentator (either Scarborough or Hooks) said she was shocked to see a young guy pitching

On 6/26/2018 at 6:06 PM, Trent Whaley said:

Former President Powers was comfortable with the mediocrity. The upgrading of athletic facilities is also something that should have occurred long ago. It’s nice to see that has also changed.

Yes and I think Fenves and CDC have created an environment that is much more conducive to home run hires than the end of the Dodds administration and its aftermath.

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So how’s his fastball?

maybe the key is his hitters see 80 in practice, so 65 is slow and easy. 

No clue, but you're also right in that regard. Also that he can throw literally any pitch they will see, and throw it at an elite-level.  Because when you go play OU, Florida, UCLA, etc., you're seeing those pitches at an elite-level already.

I think I'm most excited to see how the highly touted freshman develop under him.  Romero and O'Leary have the accolades.  I look at what he did with Jessica Moore, Kleist, Hawkins, etc.  He turns pitchers into studs.