2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

You throw Kelly Martinez into this roster and suddenly you have a lot of fucking talent.   You need to figure out how to put Ellsworth / Burke / Martinez all in your lineup.  Someone better be able to play 1st base so you can put all 3 in at C/1B/DP.

Alumni Weekend was a BIG softball visit weekend.  Besides Elish, Martinez and Burke being in town, you had:

2019 P commit Grace Greene (the Oregon commit who flipped from Birdville)
2019 UTIL Camille Corona (Dripping Springs)
2019 P Haley Hudson (College Station)
2019 P Alana Vawter (Kansas City, MO) - she was a Connie commit but is now between us and Stanford
2019 C/3B London Marder (Humble Atascocita) - she did make her commitment official

Mike's roster management should be v interesting. 

We only graduate Hayter, Alcozer, and Bollinger.  With Elish coming in as a JR via transfer in the spring, Bollinger graduating and, a minimum, Greene coming in, we will have 5 pitchers for the 2020 season - 1 Senior (Elish), 2 junior (Romero/Adams), 1 sophomore (O'Leary) and 1 freshman (Greene).  If we take Vawter or Hudson, I have to wonder if one of Romero/Adams moves on.  6 pitchers on your roster of 18-20 is A LOT.

Another Mike White kid at Oregon is on her way out.  Hmmmmm.

C Mary Iakopo - NFCA Freshman of the Year Top 25 List; Second Team All-Pac 12; Pac-12 All Freshman, former #8 recruit

.306 average, 10 doubles, 8 HR, 37 RBI, 18 walks, .980 fielding percentage, 5 runners thrown out in 9 attempts

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, Js1 said:

We always take SO LONG to release our schedule.  Still trying to piece it together:

2/8/-2/10 Texas Classic (Boston College, Northwestern State, Boise State)
2/14-16 ESPN tournament in Clearwater (Cal, FAU, LSU, Kentucky)
2/22-24 home tournament ft. Tulsa, SHSU, Ole Miss (Texas Invitational)
3/1-3/3 ASU Tournament in Tempe (ASU, Wisconsin, Princeton)
3/22-24 Iowa State
3/27 @ Baylor
4/24 Prairie View A&M
5/3-4 Baylor

UPDATED!

We are going to Tempe, AZ for the ASU Tournament the first weekend of March.  We play Wisconsin 3/1 and 3/2 and ASU on 3/1 and 3/3.  I would imagine we play Princeton on 3/2 or 3/3.

Our Texas Classic is BC, Northwestern State and Boise State opening weekend.

Still waiting on dates for OSU, Tech, OU and Kansas.

1 hour ago, texashorn13 said:

Two more Ducks are incoming.  This team is about to be REAL good.

Iakopo and....?

Sure seems like maybe we backed off Martinez because Iakopo wants in and she may end up at Oklahoma instead.  And I'm 100% okay with that, Iakopo is really good.

Edited by Js1

Fall Season completed with a 5-0 victory over Texas State.  This was Texas State's first loss of the Fall playing against area D1 teams UTSA, A&MCC, SHSU, Incarnate Word,  and DII A&M International and Temple. 

1-0 game until bottom of 6th.   Texas State changed pitchers every 2 innings.   Bohlinger went 5.1 with O'Leary and Adams in relief.

Now the wait to see the roster after classes start in January.    Personally,  I hate to see anyone be forced to leave unless it is mutual.  But with the new transfer rules it likely becomes the norm.

AUSTIN, Texas – On Friday night at Red & Charline McCombs Field, three Texas pitchers combined on a four-hit shutout as the Longhorns completed a perfect fall campaign with a 5-0 blanking of I-35 rival Texas State.

Senior hurler Brooke Bolinger started in the circle, striking out seven Bobcats over 5.1 innings of one-hit effort. Freshman Shea O'Leary allowed three hits over a single frame of relief, while sophomore Ariana Adams closed things out by working the final two-thirds of an inning.

At the plate for the Burnt Orange & White, junior outfielder Tuesday DerMargosian continued her impressive fall by going 2-for-3 with a steal and a RBI. Junior catcher Taylor Ellsworth was 1-for-2 with a walk, a sacrifice fly and three RBIs, while junior outfielder Kaitlyn Washington was 2-for-3. Senior outfielder Bekah Alcozer, freshman infielder Janna Roberts, redshirt junior center fielder Reagan Hathaway and sophomore second baseman Janae Jefferson all registered a hit in the victory.

With Bolinger in control from the circle over the opening three frames, the Longhorns jumped to a 1-0 lead during the bottom of the third. After DerMargosian and Jefferson reached on a base hit and an error, respectively, the speedy duo pulled off a double steal to reach scoring position. That set the stage for Ellsworth as the Georgetown, Texas, product drove a sac fly to deep right to plate UT's first run of the contest.

Looking for more on the scoreboard, Texas' offense exploded for fourth runs in the bottom of the sixth to blow things open. Roberts opened the frame by reaching on a Texas State miscue before Washington singled through the left side. Following a Malory Schattle sacrifice bunt, Roberts scampered home on a wild pitch to make it 2-0. From there, a DerMargosian RBI single down the left field line and a two-RBI Ellsworth hit finalized the offensive output at five tallies.

TXST threatened in the top of the seventh, putting two on with one out on consecutive singles. Adams entered the contest in relief, however, and got the Longhorns out of the jam with no damage as Texas prevailed, 5-0.

https://texassports.com/news/2018/11/9/softball-wraps-up-a-perfect-fall-with-a-5-0-shutout-of-texas-state.aspx

Alana Vawter 2019 pitcher out of Kansas City re-opened her commitment and is now going to Stanford.  But at least we have Grace Green coming in.

I swear to God, if Texas is up against Stanford for any recruit in any sport, just shut it down.  We always lose out.  The prestige of a Stanford degree will beat us out every time.   Honestly, when was the last time a recruit got accepted into Stanford and still picked Texas?

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

I swear to God, if Texas is up against Stanford for any recruit in any sport, just shut it down.  We always lose out.  The prestige of a Stanford degree will beat us out every time.   Honestly, when was the last time a recruit got accepted into Stanford and still picked Texas?

The class of 2001

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Gisele but she goes by G

lol

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Alana Vawter 2019 pitcher out of Kansas City re-opened her commitment and is now going to Stanford.  But at least we have Grace Green coming in.

Going to Stanford is not for everyone, it is a weird place to fit in as a student-athlete. Most of their targets are either very academic with a unique personality and feel the trees are worthy of their intellect or a parent gets involved because they are enamored with the idea of having a kid be a Stanford student(Little, Bragg...). Most times it is the parent leading the way which is fine but it'll happen a lot less once we put a few winning season together.

• Like 1

We have a schedule!

https://texassports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=406

Texas Classic: 2x Northwestern State, 2x Boston College, Boise State

St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational: Cal, FAU, LSU, Kentucky

Texas Invitational: Sam, 2x Ole Miss, 2x Tulsa

Arizona State Tournament: 2x Wisconsin, 2x ASU*, Princeton

Longhorn Invitational: 2x Texas Southern, 3x Minnesota

Tennessee Tournament: 2x Tennessee, 2x BYU

Midweek games: HBU (home), Longwood (home), TAMUCC (home), Lipscomb (home), TX State (home), UH (home), UTA (road), PVA&M, Incarnate Word

ISU

Baylor @ Waco

@ OSU

@ Tech

OU

@ KU

Baylor (2 at home)

Salty.  I love the 3 home tournaments, 2 road tournaments, 1 neutral tournament idea.  Good job Mike.

Re: Rhodes and Pinto, both outfielders, which is where I think we have the most talent (offensively) in our starting 3 - Hathaway, DeMargosian and Washington.  But if you get Rhodes, someone has to go sit on the bench or move to the infield. 

I don't know where they all fit and who is going to be nudged off the roster after 2019, but I'm not the Kiwi being paid $450k to figure it out.

However, if our roster in 2019 consists of Elish, Rhodes, Iakopo, Burke, Washington, Jefferson, Hathaway, Bollinger..........................

We're going to be really good.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, texashorn13 said:

Rhodes and Iakopo may be on campus this weekend for a visit.

I heard this happened.  Hoping for an official announcement this week on these 2 headed to Austin for the spring.  Mike White took our roster from 3rd in the Big 12 to conference contending in an offseason with the additions of Burke, Elish and possibly Rhodes and Iakopo.

52 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I heard this happened.  Hoping for an official announcement this week on these 2 headed to Austin for the spring.  Mike White took our roster from 3rd in the Big 12 to conference contending in an offseason with the additions of Burke, Elish and possibly Rhodes and Iakopo.

Pretty sure we'll know something tonight or tomorrow regarding these two.

• Like 1

College softball is not going to be unrecognizable next year.  The new transfer rule is leading to chaos!

ASU - ace pitcher gone (to OU) + stud IF gone (to Arkansas)

Oregon - co-ace gone (to Texas) + stud catcher gone + stud freshman player gone + stud outfielder gone

Minnesota - stud catcher gone (which is fine for us, since we play them)

A&M - lost 3 or 4 players (to OSU and ULL)

Tennessee - big time pitcher gone (to Oklahoma State)

Btw - on our schedule:

ASU - def more beatable now without G. Juarez (2 games)
Minnesota - def a less scary offense with Lindamen gone (3 games)
Tenn - will still be tough with Moss and Arnold, even with Sprang gone (2 games)
OU is going to be way tougher with Saile and G. Juarez.  That series is going to epic.  And baseball is on the road that weekend, so it better be PACKED at McCombs (I may make the trip)
OSU now has Sprang. Baylor has 3 good transfers in (from Miss St, LSU and JUCO Sidney Holman - probably the top JUCO pitcher).

Edited by Js1

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Are we due for a Mary Christmas anytime soon?

I'm hearing yes, but nothing confirmed.  I'll reach out today to some sources and find out.  Last I heard it was between us, OU and Florida.  But when Lindaman left Minnesota I was told that she was going to Florida, done deal.  Now I'm hearing that's not so sure, that she may be Oregon bound.  Lots of moving pieces here for sure.

On 11/14/2018 at 8:14 AM, Js1 said:

Re: Rhodes and Pinto, both outfielders, which is where I think we have the most talent (offensively) in our starting 3 - Hathaway, DeMargosian and Washington.  But if you get Rhodes, someone has to go sit on the bench or move to the infield. 

.....or to 1st base.

• 2 weeks later...