2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

34 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I wasn't implying that he was.  I was saying I don't want a Saban or a Mulkey on our campus, no matter how much they win.

I think Mulkey is differentiable from Saban in at least one way:  He isn't a cunt to everyone outside the program within shouting distance.  Yeah, he's kind of surly in public and that's fine.  On the other hand, I don't think Mulkey is particularly ethically compromised, if Saban is.  She's just a flamboyant bitch, and a helluva coach.

Don't think I'd want either associated with Texas, if Saban is as truly compromised as is speculated (and I don't like his recruiting practices, which may reflect deeper issues, or may just be 'Bama).

If White is hard on his players and competitive, reasonably courteous to the press and other coaches and players, and isn't some type of cheater that actively undermines student athletes, that's all good with me.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think Mulkey is differentiable from Saban in at least one way:  He isn't a cunt to everyone outside the program within shouting distance.  Yeah, he's kind of surly in public and that's fine.  On the other hand, I don't think Mulkey is particularly ethically compromised, if Saban is.  She's just a flamboyant bitch, and a helluva coach.

Don't think I'd want either associated with Texas, if Saban is as truly compromised as is speculated (and I don't like his recruiting practices, which may reflect deeper issues, or may just be 'Bama).

Agreed on all counts.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

If White is hard on his players and competitive, reasonably courteous to the press and other coaches and players, and isn't some type of cheater that actively undermines student athletes, that's all good with me.

Well said !

Mike will be challenged early with the comparative  dearth of talent.    In his intro press conf,   he mentioned weight room.    Not sure there has been a bonafide strength coach since Lance Sewell was tasked with both baseball and softball in 2014-2015.    For unknown reason,  Lance went to Tennessee and is now at WVU due to regime change at Tennessee.   Hopefully,  that area can be improved.

Edited by torre

I expect our pitching to be better than our hitting, since Mike will have better talent in Bollinger, Romero and O'Leary to work with.

The hitting isn't AWFUL, but we still won't be a power team. Jefferson, Washington, Hathaway, Alcozer and Ellsworth is decent enough talent to start with.  Even Tedder, who had the third most walks on the team and hit some homers - I expect her to be better as a sophomore with better coaching.  Schattle and Slack were the weak links, though Schattle draws walks really well.

Literally, we can't get any worse offensively. .268 team average, .342 OBP and .376 slugging, 25 HR (we return 20 of them), 141 walks to 251 strikeouts.  Man we were dreadful.  3.4 runs per game and gave up 2.7.  Recipe for being a barely above .500 team.

On 7/9/2018 at 3:42 PM, Js1 said:

I'll take a fired up hardass who wins over passive Connie Clark who just claps and stays in the 3rd base coaching box and loses.

this. also, please tell me White doesn't have a clipboard that he takes to the circle

Some rumblings that Florida's pitching coach Rocha is "going home" to Norman.  While I see the going back to your alma mater appeal, I don't think Florida would be unwilling to match, considering they ponied up to keep Walton.  Rocha is probably heir apparent at Florida if/when Walton retires.  It's pretty clear that Patty is going to hand the program over to her son JT when all is said and done.

Though good news for OU, CAN WE HIRE A HITTING COACH? Hopefully this means White is doing his due diligence and vetting candidates. I'm sure he has a decent list from his initial assessment of replacing Kolatis. Though I'm sure we are competing with Oregon/Lombardi for similar candidates. 

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

Some rumblings that Florida's pitching coach Rocha is "going home" to Norman.  While I see the going back to your alma mater appeal, I don't think Florida would be unwilling to match, considering they ponied up to keep Walton.  Rocha is probably heir apparent at Florida if/when Walton retires.  It's pretty clear that Patty is going to hand the program over to her son JT when all is said and done.

Though good news for OU, CAN WE HIRE A HITTING COACH? Hopefully this means White is doing his due diligence and vetting candidates. I'm sure he has a decent list from his initial assessment of replacing Kolatis. Though I'm sure we are competing with Oregon/Lombardi for similar candidates. 

I suppose this could certainly happen, but that would be a strange move. Rocha has turned down numerous HC positions, so really weird if she bolts for an assistant spot. Tim Walton will have to dig deep to replace her, and his coaching tree is not overflowing....especially with pitching coaches. A name to watch, if this goes down, is Mandy Schuerman. She is a Gator alum, and former assistant, and is now the HC at Manatee State College.

Mike is the pitching coach.  Only being allowed 2 full-time assistants forces a lot of head coaches to handle offense or pitching.  Usually a dedicated assistant for the one the HC doesn't do and a coach who does defense.

Big 12 Incoming Transfers:

Baylor
-Sidney Holman (P) from Abilene Christian via Temple College (1.85 ERA in 207.2 IP)

Kansas
-Kirsten Pruett (P) from ULL (8.40 ERA in 1.2 IP)
-Hannah Todd (P) from UNC (18.67 ERA in 3 IP)

Oklahoma
-Shannon Saile (P) from FIU (1.93 ERA in 181 IP)

Oklahoma State
-Gabby Sprang (P) from Tennessee (3.40 ERA in 35 IP)
-Samantha Show (P/UT) from Texas A&M (2.24 ERA in 103.1 IP; .290 BA with 4 HR and 36 RBI)
-Sydney Springfield (IF) from LSU (.250 BA with 2 HR and 12 RBI)

Texas (how did I miss this?)
-Macy Smith (IF/P) from Seminole State College (4.04 ERA in 8.2 IP; .401 BA with 16 HR and 60 RBI in JUCO)

Texas Tech
-Missy Zoch (P) from DePaul (2.11 ERA in 139.2 IP)
-Shelby Henderson (C) from Lamar (.327 BA with 8 HR and 44 RBI)
-Trenity Edwards (C) from Missouri (.245 BA with 5 HR and 27 RBI)

Here is what we are getting in a hitting coach, by the numbers:

2018  (18-19 record)

Batting Average:  .295

Homeruns:  29

Strikeouts:  166

Walks:  70

2017  (20-35 record)

Batting Average:  .268

Homeruns:  21

Strikeouts:  238

Walks:  99

2016  (17-33 record)

Batting Average:  .277

Homeruns:  41

Strikeouts:  255

Walks:  91

Additionally, none of the three coaches have any ties to Texas in any capacity (for recruiting purposes), and none of the three are strong recruiters.  Kolaitis did 99% of the recruiting at Oregon.

Just now, Js1 said:

Only 3 teams in 2018 had a team BA of .295.  None of them had an 18-19 record.  Either your stats are wrong or you made it up.  Why would a team only play 37 games? Most play 50+ per year.

According to the NCAA stats, we are getting our hitting coach from Hofstra, Colorado St. or Texas Southern...but I guess it can't be Southern because that would be some Texas ties. As you say none of them had an 18-19 record.

Or maybe it's Winthrop, UMass, or Wright St based on the 2017 stats?

Or maybe it's actually no one...as no team had a BA of .277 in 2016.

the new hire is listed on the Texas softball twitter page. Kerry Shaw...from some place called the University of Mary....Uninspiring to say the least.

and on the same day that OU makes a HUGE hire in Jen Rocha. She will be a problem for Texas, as she is a great pitching coach, and outstanding recruiter.

Edited by FloridaHorn

3 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Not gonna lie. Pretty underwhelmed by our hire.

OU gets Rocha...

The part that leaves us all wanting more, is that White said that his phone was literally blowing up with people interested in coaching for Texas, and we end up with a DII guy who was previously on the staff of a really bad SEMO team. I hope this team hits, early and often, or this guy will get skewered.

7 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

Additionally, none of the three coaches have any ties to Texas in any capacity (for recruiting purposes), and none of the three are strong recruiters.  Kolaitis did 99% of the recruiting at Oregon.

This is an issue.    We need a strong Softball Director of Operations and Volunteer Assistant with knowledge of the select travel teams/coaches.   A successful high school coach from the Houston area would be ideal.    Though they can't recruit,   the name on staff would be a plus.

Another concern/question is how many coaches were offered but declined.    MW seems to be respected among his peers for his success but is there an issue on being a staff member ?   I share perfectchaos' concern about friends without D1 experience.

Hitting coaches seem to have individual methods/approach to instructing.   It will be a challenge for the players with their 3rd hitting coach in 3 years.  

18 hours ago, torre said:

This is an issue.    We need a strong Softball Director of Operations and Volunteer Assistant with knowledge of the select travel teams/coaches.   A successful high school coach from the Houston area would be ideal.    Though they can't recruit,   the name on staff would be a plus.

Another concern/question is how many coaches were offered but declined.    MW seems to be respected among his peers for his success but is there an issue on being a staff member ?   I share perfectchaos' concern about friends without D1 experience.

Hitting coaches seem to have individual methods/approach to instructing.   It will be a challenge for the players with their 3rd hitting coach in 3 years.  

Volunteer Asst. is coming from Oregon, was a former player and has been with the staff ever since.  Not sure about D Ops.

I don't know of any that declined the job, but I do know of one coach who declined to interview both at Oregon (while MW was still there) and at Texas.

I don't have a problem with friends hiring friends in this business, because honestly that's kind of how it works.  But in a situation like this one where the comfort hire was made over the smart one, that's a different story.

As someone mentioned above, the level of talent of your players is more important than the hitting coach, and I agree.  And I think that's where the shortcomings in this staff will be, getting talent.  There is no denying that MW is the best in the business with pitchers, and Spencer is near the top if not at it when it comes to developing defensive players.  But MW needed this hire to be an ace recruiter, and he didn't get that.  Pretty simple.

5 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

And the sting is worsened by the fact that Patty reached out and got a top flight coach who happens to be an ace recruiter. I live in Florida, trust me, kids love her and Walton will have a hard time replacing her.

It's SUPER nice when you have an alumni to bring back who went off and was successful for a baker's dozen of years under another head coach.  Such a luxury that comes from coaching for so long at one program, like Patty has.   She had other options too - Michelle Gascoigne is pitching coach at Northwestern. 

I don't know if Mike had any player on a similar career path as Rocha he could have hired. And Texas doesn't have any alumni in major coaching positions except Cat.

On 7/17/2018 at 7:51 AM, Js1 said:

Going home to Norman would be like McCain "going home" to Vietnam.... But I may be biased

On 7/18/2018 at 1:02 PM, Js1 said:

Meh34.  Mike is going to have a short leash if this guy doesn't pan out.

lol. What in Mike's resume makes us think he does not know what the fk he's doing? Does any item in Mikes resume lead us to think that he will not demand results and is Ok with being average?

This last day has turned this thread into peak fb offseason posting.

Impressive stats.     I like the walks stat.   Teach hitters to be patient.

Finished her career as Oregon's best run producing bat...Is the Ducks' all-time leader in home runs (46) and RBIs (180)...The first player ever at Oregon with more than 40 career home runs...Second in UO history with 100 career walks as well...Tied the program's single-game record with seven RBIs (grand slam, three-run homer) in the Ducks' run-rule win over No. 1 UCLA on April 4...Her 231 career games played is tied for eighth most in UO history...Just outside the top-10 with 31 career doubles and 630 total at-bats.

https://goducks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1641&path=softball

WEB_Coach_Kailee_Cuico_18.jpg?width=300

Edited by torre

• 2 weeks later...