2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Thats gonna happen based on the personality differences between CC and Mike. Mike expects a lot out of his players and if a player isn't up to that challenge then Texas suddenly isn't a good fit for that recruit.

I read he already flipped one of his 2019 pitching commits to Texas 

NAME AND TITLE ANNUAL SALARY
Current staff  
Head coach Mike White $505,000
Asst. coach Chelsea Spencer $130,000
Asst. coach Kerry Shaw $120,000
Total $755,000

Former staff  
Head coach Connie Clark $210,000
Asst. coach Tripp McKay $96,900
Asst. coach Jennifer McFalls $82,200
Total $389,100

Personally, I am not worried about Mike getting players, and I am extremely hopeful that he will do a great job coaching up the kids he gets. Over the next few years, he will prove that he is worth every penny of that 500K salary. I think we see big improvements this year on the field, and by this time next year we are talking about competing for Big XII championships.

20 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Personally, I am not worried about Mike getting players, and I am extremely hopeful that he will do a great job coaching up the kids he gets. Over the next few years, he will prove that he is worth every penny of that 500K salary. I think we see big improvements this year on the field, and by this time next year we are talking about competing for Big XII championships.

Oh he will get players, no doubt.

I think the biggest improvement will be pitching, since he has a pretty good lefty in Bollinger and 2 virtually unknown, but highly regarded, players in Romero and O'Leary.  The real work will be any single improvement in batting average and homeruns.  Because 2018 was a god awful offense.

On 8/13/2018 at 7:24 AM, Js1 said:

Oh he will get players, no doubt.

I would tap the brakes on this a little until his staff proves they can recruit to Texas at the level they were to Oregon.  Right now, the approach they are using is not working, at all, and they are further alienating the Texas travel ball community with their current approach.  Not hiring a Jimmy Kolaitis was a problem, only exacerbated by not having anyone on staff with any connection to Texas.

The ability to develop talent is undeniable...getting the talent is a huge question mark at this point.

• Like 1

Lol at questioning a guy's recruiting ability when 1) he was landing top 10 classes every year at Oregon and 2) has been on the job for 2 months. 

Here's an idea. Give the coach a little time to develop relationships. 

These type takes are just annoying at this point. If you think a coach is going to come in and start landing top tier recruits right off the bat you don't know how any of this works. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

I would say a yuge chunk of 2019 and 2020 recruits are already committed and have been for 1-2 years already.  He now has a big task of convincing them to flip to him.  Sure, he apparently flipped a UO 2019 pitcher, that's low hanging fruit, really.  But even the best Texas player for 2020 is already committed to Oklahoma. 

That high-profile 2020 Texas recruit did re-open her recruitment but Mike and Connie are 2 different coaches.  He may have told all the 2020s and beyond he will re-evaluate them on his own.  As any coach should do.

53 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I would say a yuge chunk of 2019 and 2020 recruits are already committed and have been for 1-2 years already.  

It's the same issue David Pierce had his first cycle. The '17 class wasn't even ranked in the top 100 because most of the top tier recruits were already signed/committed. Pierce had to take a bunch of JUCO as a stop gap solution. 

Once Pierce was able to develop relationships and actually recruit from a pool of top tier recruits things shifted. The '18 class ended up ranked #9 (might still rise dependent on other recruiting classes falling because of the draft) and the '19 class will likely end up in the top 10. 

i won't even judge White this cycle because he's going to have the same issues Pierce had. Where I will judge White this cycle is how he evaluates and finds stop gap solutions like Pierce did the '17 cycle. Pierce was able to turn that '17 class into a lot of contributors on a CWS team. 

On a side note, this is why I'm really excited about baseball. We really weren't even that talented in baseball last year and Pierce turned that team into a CWS participant. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

I would tap the brakes on this a little until his staff proves they can recruit to Texas at the level they were to Oregon.  Right now, the approach they are using is not working, at all, and they are further alienating the Texas travel ball community with their current approach.  Not hiring a Jimmy Kolaitis was a problem, only exacerbated by not having anyone on staff with any connection to Texas.

The ability to develop talent is undeniable...getting the talent is a huge question mark at this point.

Do you get the irony of telling somebody else to tap the brakes while you are quick to criticize a coach who has been on the job for two months?

• Like 2

Yeah, I couldn't find a lot on her but I did find this blurb:

Equally as impressive was the offensive and defensive prowess on display. While there were many, many high level players out there, we would like to mention several of note. 2018 hitters Kennedy Labshere and Elicia Espinosa were excellent. Sometimes players fall thru the cracks, and this is certainly the case here. Kennedy is very solid in all phases of the game, and Elicia just mashes the ball. Both will hit in the middle of their college line-up

Knew this was coming but official. 

Birdville, TX pitcher Grace Green, 2016 5A state championship pitcher, on her commitment to #HOOKEM Texas. @FridayNghtGlory @DFWfastpitch 

2016 reg season: 9-3, 1.34 ERA, 129 K, 0.440 BA, 20 RBI 

2017 season: 13-0, 145 K, 0.66 ERA, 0.413 BA, 1.256 OPS, 21 RBI

her tweet:

"Blessed to announce that I’ll be continuing my athletic career at the University of Texas next fall!! So thankful for everything Oregon has done for me in the past but ready for this new chapter of my life. Thanks to everyone who supported me during this time. Hook ‘em!"

• Like 1

I'm not saying we're going to the WCWS next year, but there's precedent for really good pitching carrying shitty offense into OKC, depending on your regional and super-regional draw.  And Mike has good stuff to work with in the circle.

Beth Torina took LSU to the WCWS her first year in Baton Rouge (40-25 record).  They hit .220 as a team with 13 HR but their pitching staff had a 1.58 ERA.  She took over a team that didn't make it out of the regional (like us), hit better, but pitched worse. 

If Mike can improve pitching enough, he has Hathaway, Jefferson, Ellsworth and Washington, which is a pretty good half of your lineup.  We won't win the Big 12, but with the right draw, we can get back to a super regional if pitching takes a step forward (2.45 ERA last year).

Edited by Js1

Ooh, didn't realize Green is a lefty.  Mike has done GOOD things with lefties - Cheridan Hawkins and Miranda Elish come to mind.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2018/08/20/birdville-softball-standout-switches-commitment-oregon-texas

Wonder if Mike can flip any of these girls in the DFW metroplex?

• Carson Armijo (P) - UCLA - probably not
  • Mayce Allen (SS) - A&M
  • Jayda Coleman (SS) - OU - probably not (#1 recruit for 2020)
  • Kasey Simpson (SS) - Iowa State - possible (#33 overall)
  • Abby Buettner  (1B/3B) - Maryland
  • Madison Hirsch (3B) - KU (#64 overall) - possible
  • Isabella Dayton (OF) - Arizona
  • Amanda Desario (OF) - Tech (#83 overall) - possible
  • Reagan Swindall (OF) - Arkansas (will also play soccer, so unlikely)
  • Laney Roos (UTIL) - LSU

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm going to give Mike and staff a chance, but damn, Oregon really went out and got a hell of a staff to go with Lombardi.

Who did they get? 

Not sure why I'm not worried about our staff but Mike strikes me as a leader who is in full control and his high demands are non-negotiable.

Edited by Goodman

On 8/21/2018 at 12:15 PM, Js1 said:

McFalls was just named HC at Kansas.  So both of Connie's coaches got HC landing spots the year she retires.

Happy for Jennifer !     Her Mom is a breast cancer survivor who attended the Pink at the Plate game each year. 

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm going to give Mike and staff a chance, but damn, Oregon really went out and got a hell of a staff to go with Lombardi.

Is Bird the only Oregon player that will transfer (not only to Texas, but anywhere) ?    If so,  that says a lot about Lombardi.

Any truth to the rumor that Lombardi was at the top of Texas' list  ?

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Who did they get? 

Not sure why I'm not worried about our staff but Mike strikes me as a leader who is in full control and his high demands are non-negotiable.

2010 National Championship pitcher Megan Lagenfeld

Former Fresno Assistant Justin Shults - they had a pretty good offense

4-time Michigan All-American Sierra Romero as volunteer assistant

On 8/22/2018 at 2:47 PM, Js1 said:

2010 National Championship pitcher Megan Lagenfeld

Former Fresno Assistant Justin Shults - they had a pretty good offense

4-time Michigan All-American Sierra Romero as volunteer assistant

You would call that a great staff?  I would call that a staff with great name recognition but for the most part inexperienced including the head coach. 

On 8/22/2018 at 8:48 PM, texashorn13 said:

Oregon isn't losing any current players to transferring...Lombardi was able to keep them all in Eugene.

Mike White originally turned the Texas job down, it was Lombardi's.  He later changed his mind, literally right before Texas was set to close the deal and announce Lombardi.

You must have quite the source in hr.  Never heard White turned Texas down. Nor that Lombardi was the forerunner for the Texas job cause why would she consider a BIG 12 team? Obviously $$$$ talks.  Did they offer Lombardi as much as White? 

https://msuspartans.com/news/2018/8/22/softball-adds-corrie-hill-to-staff.aspx

Corrie Hill gets assistant job at Michigan St.    She served as interim head coach at UT Dallas last year but was apparently not selected as permanent.

Anyone know if Marla Looper has another job after resigning at Iowa ?

(Hill,  Texas hitting coach '06 - '16;   Looper, defensive coach, '99 - '10) 

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Excited to see Mike's plan but 2019 Cait Calland (C, Katy HS) just decommitted and flipped to LSU.  I have to assume he's got 2019 kids interested enough he's letting some go.

And possible the 2019 commits are being recruited by other schools ?

Could you give us a brief summary of the new recruiting rules effective  1 Sep ?    I read a brief article but not sure of the dynamics.   Thanks !

3 minutes ago, torre said:

And possible the 2019 commits are being recruited by other schools ?

Could you give us a brief summary of the new recruiting rules effective  1 Sep ?    I read a brief article but not sure of the dynamics.   Thanks !

That too.

New rule - no contact with HS recruits before September 1 of their junior year.   And I mean NONE - parents, HS coach, club coach, anyone.  It's going to be a free for all starting 12:00 midnight on September 1 for the 2020 kids.

• September 1 junior year: Coaches can send athletes all forms of private electronic correspondence, including text messages, instant messages, direct messages and emails, as well as all recruiting materials. Coaches can also call athletes at this point. NO contact is permitted before this date between a college coach and the recruit, their parents, their current coaches or any other third party.
  • September 1 junior year: Athletes may begin taking unofficial visits and planning them with the school’s athletic department.
  • September 1 junior year: Athletes may begin taking official visits.
  • July 1 after junior year: Coaches can conduct off-campus contact with athletes at their home or school.
  • Senior year: College softball coaches can conduct off-campus communications with athletes and/or their parents no more than three times.

Edited by Js1

• 2 weeks later...

Fall schedule:

10/12 McLennan CC, 5pm, Austin, TX

10/20, LSU, 6pm, Conroe, TX

10/24 Galveston College, 4:30pm, Austin, TX

10/24 Blinn CC, 6:30pm, Austin, TX

10/27 Weatherford College, 12pm, Austin, TX

10/27 St. Edward's, 2pm, Austin, TX

11/9 Texas State, 6pm, Austin, TX

Alumni game will be 11/4 at 11am

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

White era begins.  First Fall game vs McLennan JC @ 4:30PM, Friday, LHN.     Real barometer will be the LSU and Texas State Fall games.

Ciera Schick did not return.   (transfer from Ariz St who had 1 year remaining)

Excerpts from AAS article.

Five weeks into fall camp, players have noticed the new coaches taking a meticulous approach.

“If they’re going to tell you how to field the ball, they are going to tell you why you need to field it this way,” outfielder Reagan Hathaway said. “It’s a lot easier to learn and grown when you can get behind what you’re being told to do.”

Said outfielder Kaitlyn Washington: “I think the main thing that the new coaches make us want to focus on is having intent with everything, intent and purpose. Even just putting on our cleats in the dugout, swapping our shoes out, everything has a purpose.”

Following White’s hire, only one of UT’s eligible returnees left the program. He inherits seven players who had 100 at-bats last year, and senior pitcher Brooke Bolinger threw 117 2/3 innings during an all-conference season. Additionally, the Longhorns added five freshmen and Seminole State College transfer Macy Smith.

Who will start for Texas this upcoming spring? According to White, there are only a few positions to confidently forecast. Sophomore Janae Jefferson and junior Kaitlyn Slack return to the middle of UT’s infield. Junior Taylor Ellsworth will continue to catch, and all-Big 12 honoree Washington will be one of the three starting outfielders.

“I think it would be great if we were gravitating more towards a set lineup (after the fall), but I don’t think it’s going to be finalized at all,” White said. “We don’t want it to be finalized. We want there to be competition.”

White will primarily work with a pitching staff that features Bolinger, sophomores Chloe Romero and Ariana Adams and freshman Shealyn O’Leary. The defense boasted the nation’s 12th-best fielding percentage this past season. Questions, though, linger about an offense that hit .268 and averaged 3.5 runs per game.

White described his style of play as aggressive. Upon his hire, White called out the team’s dismal power and base-running numbers. This week, working on plate discipline was on White’s to-do list. (Texas struck out 251 times while drawing 141 walks this past spring.) Since all four of UT’s coaches can throw, the Longhorns will participate in a lot of batting practice.

“The best form of defense is offense,” White said. “That prevent defense, you see that in football, right? We’ve given up chunks of yardage, so I don’t think sitting back and playing too defensively works very well.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/the-games-that-count-must-wait-but-texas-is-set-to-make-its-debut-with-new-softball-coach-mike-white/

Edited by torre

Final 5-2, Texas.     Didn't see all the game.    McClennan  was good competition,  played well.   This was their third Fall game.

-  Ariana Adams looks much improved.   Much better presence, doesn't rush,  better movement/off speed

-  Romero pitched well,  nothing remarkable.

-  Shea O'Leary needs experience at this level,  but what talent.   Great movement/off speed.    Cali lady with swag.    At 6'2" reminiscent of a right handed Cat.  Has a chance to have her mural on the wall at McCombs.

- McKenzie Parker looks like a hitter.  

LSU, 7PM. 20 Oct, Conroe.

44 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Please let Miranda Elish become a Horn! She would make this team instantly competitive against every program. She is a true shut down, ace type pitcher.

This team absolutely needs Elish and Burke.  We need an ace (I don't think Bollinger will hold up to such a heavy burden) while we work O'Leary into the collegiate game. 

Same with Burke - we need hitters.

• Like 1