2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

23 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

All worked out well for us.  That, however, if pretty shitty of UW.

We supposedly reached out to 3 of the top female coaches to gauge interest.  Tarr was one. I would imagine the other 2 were some combo of Ford/Torina/Alameda.

Only time will tell, but I think we hit a HOMERUN with the hiring of Coach Mike White as our softball coach.   He has a fire in his belly and this will lead him and Texas Softball to great success.   Just listen to his press conference, and it is easy for one to see the fire and desire this man has to move Texas Softball to greatness.

19 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

The fire has always been in his belly, but the way Oregon refused to negotiate with him, has stoked that fire even more. I expect that he now will want to win a NC soon, so he can thumb his nose at the ducks.

I LOVE listening to the Oregon fans rationalize it. "Oh he left because his reputation was he couldn't win the big one, so Oregon clearly just let him leave.  We will find someone who can win it all!"

Okay, you don't just LET a guy who:

-Made 9 straight super regionals (top 16 finish at a minimum)
-Made 5 WCWS (top 8 finish at a minimum)
-Made 2 semifinals appearances (top 4 finish at a minimum)
-Won 5 Pac 12 titles in 9 seasons (after coming in a dethroning 2 of the best programs in the country, UCLA and Arizona)
-Coached 16 individual All-Americans (for a total of 22 honors, including 10 First team All Americans!)
-Coached 4 PoY finalists
-Coached 2 FoY finalists
-Coached 1 NCAA batting champion
-Coached 10 NPF draft picks

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I LOVE listening to the Oregon fans rationalize it. "Oh he left because his reputation was he couldn't win the big one, so Oregon clearly just let him leave.  We will find someone who can win it all!"

Okay, you don't just LET a guy who:

-Made 9 straight super regionals (top 16 finish at a minimum)
-Made 5 WCWS (top 8 finish at a minimum)
-Made 2 semifinals appearances (top 4 finish at a minimum)
-Won 5 Pac 12 titles in 9 seasons (after coming in a dethroning 2 of the best programs in the country, UCLA and Arizona)
-Coached 16 individual All-Americans (for a total of 22 honors, including 10 First team All Americans!)
-Coached 4 PoY finalists
-Coached 2 FoY finalists
-Coached 1 NCAA batting champion
-Coached 10 NPF draft picks

exactly....For a month on UCS, I read post about how Texas couldn't/wouldn't land a big time coach. They said we would settle for a Mid Major hire. Then, when White's name was mentioned, all the Oregon fans made sure to post that he loved Eugene, the climate was like New Zealand, he would never leave Oregon....Then Texas hires him and now they post "he sucks and we didn't want him anyway."

I can't remember if I read it or Mike said it, but in addition to the player development center being built next summer, he mentioned them putting an overhang for shade along the seats from 1st to 3rd.

Davis Diamond (A&M) has them
Getterman (Baylor) has them
Marita Hynes (OU) does not but the new stadium will

Well in THIS IS GARBAGE news - Lefty FIU pitcher Shannon Saile has transferred to OU. Along with #1 2018 Brooke Vestal, they are still going to be a PITA.

2017 - CUSA Freshman of the Year, 1.51 AREA, .151 BAA, 8.1 k/7, 240 strikeouts total, 8 shutouts
2018 - 17-11 with a 1.93 ERA, 181 IP, 267 K to 82 BB, .171 BAA.  She had a 3-hit shutout of Florida in the regular season.

Damn them. Damn them to hell.

They graduate Arnold, Lowary, Parker, Pendley and Wodach but they bring in the #4 class (featuring #1, #4 and #9), get Sailes via transfer and still have Alo, Aviu, Knighten, Mendes and Romero.

Still going to be one of the handful of 2019 favorites, for sure.

51 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well in THIS IS GARBAGE news - Lefty FIU pitcher Shannon Saile has transferred to OU. Along with #1 2018 Brooke Vestal, they are still going to be a PITA.

2017 - CUSA Freshman of the Year, 1.51 AREA, .151 BAA, 8.1 k/7, 240 strikeouts total, 8 shutouts
2018 - 17-11 with a 1.93 ERA, 181 IP, 267 K to 82 BB, .171 BAA.  She had a 3-hit shutout of Florida in the regular season.

Damn them. Damn them to hell.

They graduate Arnold, Lowary, Parker, Pendley and Wodach but they bring in the #4 class (featuring #1, #4 and #9), get Sailes via transfer and still have Alo, Aviu, Knighten, Mendes and Romero.

Still going to be one of the handful of 2019 favorites, for sure.

Js1:  next time you post here, how about some good news!

• Like 1

Here is some good news, I have seen Sailes pitch, in person, numerous times. She is not OU good...,there is a reason she went to FIU out of HS. Kids dad is a typical daddy baller and wanted his kid on the big stage. People will point to her win over Florida this year, but Walton did not exactly roll out his best 9 for that game. 

There is is also a reason I haven’t brought her up as a possibility for Texas. She is no better than what we have.

Edited by FloridaHorn
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Here is some good news, I have seen Sailes pitch, in person, numerous times. She is not OU good...,there is a reason she went to FIU out of HS. Kids dad is a typical daddy baller and wanted his kid on the big stage. People will point to her win over Florida this year, but Walton did not exactly roll out his best 9 for that game. 

There is is also a reason I haven’t brought her up as a possibility for Texas. She is no better than what we have.

I'll allow that.

OU's pitching coach Lombardi is the hot name in the rumor mill for Oregon right now.

That would be a tremendous help for Mike White. Because a) he could probably get Chelsea Spencer to come with, b) it gets Lombardi away from OU, further cementing my personal belief that Gasso is just going to ensure her son takes over for her.

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Lombardi would be a great pick up for Oregon. Widely regarded as the top assistant in the game, and Patty's longtime coaching partner. Spencer will be nice, but I am more interested in who White brings in for hitting.

Lombardi would probably solidify all the Oregon pitchers.  They'd definitely stay to get the chance to work with her. 

Edited by Js1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Lombardi would probably solidify all the Oregon pitchers.  They'd definitely stay to get the chance to work with her. 

Our new head coach is also regarded as one of the best pitching coaches in the business. If they love playing for Mike White, I don't think Lombardi makes that much of a difference. Let's hope the difference is that OU pitching is not as strong. That would be a win for us.

51 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Our new head coach is also regarded as one of the best pitching coaches in the business. If they love playing for Mike White, I don't think Lombardi makes that much of a difference. Let's hope the difference is that OU pitching is not as strong. That would be a win for us.

Also true.

My hope was someone like Balint decided to transfer to Texas under the new rules because maybe the new coach hire is meh.  Lombardi is not meh.  I don't think it's a done deal, but the rumor mill sure sounds like she's headed to the Ducks.

In which case - OU loses one of the best assistant pitching coaches in the country (lol sorry Saile), Mike probably gets Chelsea Spencer to follow him to Oregon as assistant.

But like you said - the main thing is who ends up our hitting coach. *Crosses fingers for Tony Baldwin*

I'm sure CDC is pretending that Plonsky is the big contributor and "senior statesperson" on the AD staff until sufficient time has elapsed to put her to pasture, somewhat gracefully.

In the meantime, she's getting the Milton Waddams treatment.

Edited by TwiceHorn

IMHO, the hitting coach will define Coach White's time here. I feel like the pitching will be in his very capable hands, as will in game decisions, but our hitting must improve and show the ability to make in game adjustments. Hopefully the hire will be announced sooner rather than later, as the National tournaments are all beginning play as we speak.

2 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

show the ability to make in game adjustments. 

Astute observation !     We have lacked in that area for quite some time.

Mike White is a top 5,  nationally respected softball coach.    I hope his sometime effusive demeanor adjusts to the pressure and expectations of being a coach at Texas.   

5 minutes ago, torre said:

Astute observation !     We have lacked in that area for quite some time.

Mike White is a top 5,  nationally respected softball coach.    I hope his sometime effusive demeanor adjusts to the pressure and expectations of being a coach at Texas.   

I've seen a lot of people call him the "Kim Mulkey of softball." 

I mean, we all fucking hate Mulkey, but no denying she gets top talent, she wins and she's in the conversation for a national title nearly every year.  I've never noticed White be quite as bad as Kim - he doesn't throw his jacket or talk shit to the media about opposing schools.

Is that not what we want?

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean, we all fucking hate Mulkey, but no denying she gets top talent, she wins and she's in the conversation for a national title nearly every year.  I've never noticed White be quite as bad as Kim - he doesn't throw his jacket or talk shit to the media about opposing schools.

Is that not what we want?

You can win and be a hardass without being a miserable human being in the process.

• Like 2

Nick Saban is a dick, of the highest order, but players flock to Bama because he wins. Winning cures most of what ails ya'. If White wins, kids will want to play for Texas. If he loses, then the act will grow tired pretty quickly.

I have always wanted my kids to play for hardnosed coaches, because a little thick skin and toughness goes a long way in the real world.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

Nick Saban is a dick, of the highest order, but players flock to Bama because he wins. Winning cures most of what ails ya'. If White wins, kids will want to play for Texas. If he loses, then the act will grow tired pretty quickly.

And count me in the group that was pleased as punch when the efforts to get Saban to Texas blew up.  You can win without having your university represented by a turd with a questionable moral compass.