overnighting in St. Louis...

mchookem

road trip taking us thru on Friday, will get there early afternoon, figure a quick visit to arch (not going up), then check in...any rec for fairly nice dinner? seems like steak or bbq are the 'thing' there, right?

just interested in something besides highway food 😜

27 minutes ago, mchookem said:

seems like steak or bbq are the 'thing' there, right?

Charlie Gitto's on the Hill was damn good.    Old Italian place.  No idea if it's actually good or just famous but I remember enjoying the meal immensely 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, midtown said:

Charlie Gitto's on the Hill was damn good.    Old Italian place.  No idea if it's actually good or just famous but I remember enjoying the meal immensely 

This is my #1 rec for St. Louis.  Honestly, there are a dozen or more great Italian restaurants on The Hill, but for my money Charlie Gitto's tops all.  Try the toasted ravioli as an appetizer.  Fantastic.

I'd stay away from the BBQ, it's not great.  You can get a great steak anywhere, there's nothing special about a St. Louis steak.  Don't try the pizza, either, unless you want to blow the roof of your mouth off with superheated melted "cheese".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I've had pretty good BBQ in St Louis, but it was a Texas style joint so I don't see the point in going there for you.

Italian is where it's at in St. Louis, or any neighborhood bar with fried ravioli.  I had a damn solid meal here:  http://www.onestopizza.com/menu.html

If you're looking for a cold one near the Arch and want to avoid Anheuser Busch, 4 Hands fucking rocks.

• Hook 'Em 1

Depending on what you're in the mood for, there are good options a few different places.  Gitto's is good, and the neighborhood is fun to tool around in.  Pi Pizzeria or Dewey's are good pizza, not traditional St. Louis style (which isn't good, generally).  Pastaria is tasty, fun, and you can sit at the kitchen bar if you like watching people cook.  Broadway Oyster Bar if you want to get drinks close to the Arch and have some chargrilled oysters before dinner.  Brasserie by Niche for French cafe.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've had pretty good BBQ in St Louis, but it was a Texas style joint so I don't see the point in going there for you.

Italian is where it's at in St. Louis, or any neighborhood bar with fried ravioli.  I had a damn solid meal here:  http://www.onestopizza.com/menu.html

If you're looking for a cold one near the Arch and want to avoid Anheuser Busch, 4 Hands fucking rocks.

And this.  Also Urban Chestnut if you're closer to the Hill/Midtown/The Grove.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

want to avoid Anheuser Busch

The brewery tour is kind of bad ass IMO.  It's just mind boggling to me to see how they can mass produce that much beer.  Just miles and miles of cans and bottles.   Seeing that room full of all those vats 3 stories high is just awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, midtown said:

The brewery tour is kind of bad ass IMO.  It's just mind boggling to me to see how they can mass produce that much beer.  Just miles and miles of cans and bottles.   Seeing that room full of all those vats 3 stories high is just awesome. 

I loved the Anheuser Busch tour.  I just didn't think he had a ton of time to take that on.  I didn't intend to shit on that experience, but it's a big crowded tour that can eat up 3 hours pretty quick, out of an afternoon/evening stop.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, midtown said:

They have four tasting rooms IIRC that once the tour ends, you get two beers to sample.  After you drink your two beers, go back out thru the door you came in, and find another tasting room.  Keep track of the ones you have been in.  It is possible to get 8+ beers in you (I may have hit a tasting room twice).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only time I was in St Louis was for long weekend in 2005 for the Texas/Missou football game.  We went to the brewery, the museum under the arch, and the cathedral.  I think I'd rank them in that order.  I hate AB products but the brewery tour/tasting was bad ass.

I think we missed the last game in Busch stadium by a few days.

This is my #1 rec for St. Louis.  Honestly, there are a dozen or more great Italian restaurants on The Hill, but for my money Charlie Gitto's tops all.  Try the toasted ravioli as an appetizer.  Fantastic.
I'd stay away from the BBQ, it's not great.  You can get a great steak anywhere, there's nothing special about a St. Louis steak.  Don't try the pizza, either, unless you want to blow the roof of your mouth off with superheated melted "cheese".

I’ve only been there twice, once as an adult. I was told to go eat Italian food on The Hill by my sports editor who spent time in STL working for The Sporting News. I was also instructed to get toasted ravs. So I did. Not sure where I went but it was good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

had res at Gitto's but ended up cancelling...guys, it is Texas hot up here wtf 😝 so we were hot and sweaty and wiped out after the arch/park and decided to go more casual, ended up at Onesto's.

and it was the right choice, one of the owners friends was an alum 🤘 lol...'Jeff' flashed the horns when we walked in (my husband was wearing a UT cap) and came over to chat.

he might visit Surly, bc that was my answer when he asked 'so how the hell did y'all end up here?" 😄 (it is off the beaten path)

excellent meal, went traditional, ling w/ clams and eggplant parm. i could take or leave the toasted ravioli, fwiw...but the rest was terrific. 

so that's my rec for st. louis from now on 🤘 😊

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/11/2021 at 7:30 PM, mchookem said:

had res at Gitto's but ended up cancelling...guys, it is Texas hot up here wtf 😝 so we were hot and sweaty and wiped out after the arch/park and decided to go more casual, ended up at Onesto's.

and it was the right choice, one of the owners friends was an alum 🤘 lol...'Jeff' flashed the horns when we walked in (my husband was wearing a UT cap) and came over to chat.

he might visit Surly, bc that was my answer when he asked 'so how the hell did y'all end up here?" 😄 (it is off the beaten path)

excellent meal, went traditional, ling w/ clams and eggplant parm. i could take or leave the toasted ravioli, fwiw...but the rest was terrific. 

so that's my rec for st. louis from now on 🤘 😊

Good to hear.  I only know about it because it's walking distance from where my cousin used to live, and we went there after Soulard Mardi Gras last year (basically 2 weeks before the world went crazy).  We were fairly intoxicated, and the staff had a lot of fun with it instead of being uptight.  Food was great, so was the service.

On 6/11/2021 at 7:30 PM, mchookem said:

I've never been, but I'll put it on the list for next time in town, because

mg-5012-3_orig.jpg