TCU Replaces 'Freshman' Title With 'First Year Student' To Be Gender Inclusive

Vic Mackey

4 hours ago, Mole said:

I’ve worked at institutions that largely dropped the term freshmen for more practical reasons. Since freshman, sophomore, etc. are often established by credit hours, it gets complicated these days. An incoming “freshman” with 30+ hours is somewhat common, so some designation that this is their 1st time in college is handy. TCU doesn’t seem to be doing this for this reason, but abandoning the term freshman isn’t all that new.

Secondly, language and mores change with each generation. This isn’t even a small harbinger of some coming decline. It’s just a small change at a single institution. Your parents and grandparents thought the same way about the stupid ways you talk, as did their elders about them. You get old and complain about change. That’s life.

Third, since this touches on the culture war, I predict that if this thread gains enough interest to reach page five, it’ll be necessarily moved to the cloak room.

I agree. Though unnecessary and silly also nothing to get bent out of shape over either. Nonissue either way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, I pulled up the first UT game on my DVR.  UT-ISU, 2016.  Texas kicked off to start the game.  The only reference to any player's class in the first 19 plays (2 drives, one ISU, one Texas) was to point out that Shane Buechele was a true freshman on the switch after Texas stopped ISU and forced them to punt.

Anecdotal?  Sure.  Spot fucking on what I claimed?  Yep.  I leave it to you girls to go through the rest of that shitty game to find a sudden avalance of class references.  "Hill to die on" my ass.  Do you watch football?

For freshmen.  Specifically Freshmen, they say it all the fucking time.  Sometimes sophomores.  Sr's get a lot too as referenced by their last home, last bowl game, etc.  

On 6/12/2021 at 6:32 AM, slorch said:

My favorite part about the woke bullshit is the denial that it is woke bullshit.

I'm woke as fuck and I make no pretenses otherwise.

Hell, I understand the phrase "wrong hole" in Chinese, Japanese, Thaiwanese, Koreanese, Australianese, and Vietnamese.