TCU Replaces 'Freshman' Title With 'First Year Student' To Be Gender Inclusive

Vic Mackey

31 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Umm…yes they often refer to athletes by their ‘class’, true freshman, sophomore, redshirt Junior, senior, etc…are all common.

This issue isn’t a big deal, but that was a stupid comment.

Really?  You've heard "junior Joseph Ossai in on the tackle with junior Demarvion Overshown on the cleanup" often?

They're lucky to get the first guy right.

This is not a big fucking deal.

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Really?  You've heard "junior Joseph Ossai in on the tackle with junior Demarvion Overshown on the cleanup" often?

They're lucky to get the first guy right.

This is not a big fucking deal.

Weird hill to die on…you do you bud.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, CycleTex87 said:

I mean “Here’s the true freshman quarterback dropping back…”

”Senior linebacker XYZ in on the tackle…”

All.the.time

Kind of seems like an idiotic thing to be offended about.  Life’s going to be tough for you if this is where you’re starting out. 

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

Only all the time, dumbass

OK, I pulled up the first UT game on my DVR.  UT-ISU, 2016.  Texas kicked off to start the game.  The only reference to any player's class in the first 19 plays (2 drives, one ISU, one Texas) was to point out that Shane Buechele was a true freshman on the switch after Texas stopped ISU and forced them to punt.

Anecdotal?  Sure.  Spot fucking on what I claimed?  Yep.  I leave it to you girls to go through the rest of that shitty game to find a sudden avalance of class references.  "Hill to die on" my ass.  Do you watch football?

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

Dude...there are so many references to players’ classifications during any broadcast. While it won’t matter, because broadcasts will continue using standard classifications, it is really weird you’re arguing as hard as you are. 

I literally made an off-handed response to BabaYaga's weird parody of a play call using "first, second" year, whatever he said.  I don't even have it in me to quote what he said.  I just pointed out that it's really not common to hear that used in the context of calling a game.

Prepared commentary?  Sure.  What he said?  No.  I don't even care, I just thought it was a bizarre point to make.  

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Dude...there are so many references to players’ classifications during any broadcast. While it won’t matter, because broadcasts will continue using standard classifications, it is really weird you’re arguing as hard as you are. 

Cunty McBitchface can’t help it, he’s dim.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I literally made an off-handed response to BabaYaga's weird parody of a play call using "first, second" year, whatever he said.  I don't even have it in me to quote what he said.  I just pointed out that it's really not common to hear that used in the context of calling a game.

Prepared commentary?  Sure.  What he said?  No.  I don't even care, I just thought it was a bizarre point to make.  

It's ok, we get why you're here

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I support the name for first year students being slightly derogatory. Rookie, plebe, newhire all have slightly negative connotations within their given vernaculars.

How 'boutcha develop some self-confidence, you jackwagons?

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

I support the name for first year students being slightly derogatory. Rookie, plebe, newhire all have slightly negative connotations within their given vernaculars.

How 'boutcha develop some self-confidence, you jackwagons?

Go home, and climb in bed with mommy, and daddy cause those bad ol thunderclaps skeer you....  We're creating g a generation of children who think if they want it they get it, and your opinions just don't matter.

Go home, and climb in bed with mommy, and daddy cause those bad ol thunderclaps skeer you....  We're creating g a generation of children who think if they want it they get it, and your opinions just don't matter.
I mean generations that want it and get it and your opinions don't matter have been around forever now. It's called being rich and wealthy.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

This thread looks like the birth child of Comedy Central and Nickelodeon.

Are you suggesting there are birthing and non-birthing channels?😁

I see many chiming in from the generation that think they invented the world and are the only ones who get to have a say in it. 

“grow up”

”don’t be so sensitive”

”go cry to mommy and daddy”

image.gif.27e0f1ce1f7530f7fdda06c0e83da7e2.gif

I’ve worked at institutions that largely dropped the term freshmen for more practical reasons. Since freshman, sophomore, etc. are often established by credit hours, it gets complicated these days. An incoming “freshman” with 30+ hours is somewhat common, so some designation that this is their 1st time in college is handy. TCU doesn’t seem to be doing this for this reason, but abandoning the term freshman isn’t all that new.

Secondly, language and mores change with each generation. This isn’t even a small harbinger of some coming decline. It’s just a small change at a single institution. Your parents and grandparents thought the same way about the stupid ways you talk, as did their elders about them. You get old and complain about change. That’s life.

Third, since this touches on the culture war, I predict that if this thread gains enough interest to reach page five, it’ll be necessarily moved to the cloak room.

23 minutes ago, Mole said:

I’ve worked at institutions that largely dropped the term freshmen for more practical reasons. Since freshman, sophomore, etc. are often established by credit hours, it gets complicated these days. An incoming “freshman” with 30+ hours is somewhat common, so some designation that this is their 1st time in college is handy. TCU doesn’t seem to be doing this for this reason, but abandoning the term freshman isn’t all that new.

Secondly, language and mores change with each generation. This isn’t even a small harbinger of some coming decline. It’s just a small change at a single institution. Your parents and grandparents thought the same way about the stupid ways you talk, as did their elders about them. You get old and complain about change. That’s life.

Third, since this touches on the culture war, I predict that if this thread gains enough interest to reach page five, it’ll be necessarily moved to the cloak room.

Yeah, my freshman year spanned 1962-1964.

A5294A37-99D9-4218-AD89-AF6EC14B94CD.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1