Arsenal 2021-22: The Youth Movement

shadow_operative

I haz disappoint in yesterday's match then saw our recent results::

spacer.png

Damn good run of form. The only points we've dropped are to the two title contenders (City should have been a draw but for ref fuckery) ... and motherfucking Burnley 🤬.  

Given how we started the year, I would have taken 6th with improvement throughout. To be in the driver's seat for 4th feels like we're ahead of schedule.  To get back in the CL next year(cash, recruitment improved, the experience for the young guys)... massive is in understatement. Just need to keep taking care of business against teams below us in the table.  IIRC we have the fewest matches vs top table opposition remaining. Utd and Sh*t still have visits to Anfield, and hopefully Liverpool takes those points.  One match at a time, Villa next.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Dutch said:

Given how we started the year, I would have taken 6th with improvement throughout.

To me, it feels like this is where we are, despite our recent form and current position in the table.  I think we are in 4th more so because other clubs are under achieving.  Should we continue to earn full points from most of the clubs below us in the standings, then I will feel that we are ahead of schedule.  I have too much PTSD to believe we are back just yet.    

I'm enjoying the good run regardless.  

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

welp, we're done. at this point i will gladly take fifth in the league + another summer of big spending and call it a very successful 12 months. 

Fourth is looking a bridge to far at this point. Hope I'm wrong and we dig deep to grind out enough points. Then again...intestinal fortitude hasn't been an Arsenal strength the last decade and a half, but now would be a damn good time to find some. 

Another window like last summer (adding multiple players of quality) and we push for CL next year. A world-class No9 (or two) is a must, as is another holding MF. Probably an LB (Nuno looks lost at crucial times and, as @Ted Lange noted, Tierney unfortunately can't stay healthy) too. Arteta and Edu cleared out the dead wood (probably needed) in the squad and now need to build up the squad depth.  Arteta's system seems to revolve around Partey, and we seemingly have no one else on the roster who can do what he does to play the way Arteta wants us to play. Hopefully Kroenke and Kroenke Jr have seen how vital spending is to returning to the CL (and maybe they're still hungover from the SB win). 

Edited by Dutch

Manager of the Month is the EPL version of being on the SI cover; in only one of eight times it has been awarded this season did the "winner" see his side take three points in his next match. Bit us twice.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/apr/07/premier-league-curse-manager-of-the-month-award

Edited by Dutch