Arsenal 2021-22: The Youth Movement

shadow_operative

No doubt.

Was it ugly? Yes. 

Do we care? Absolutely not. 

At some point… Arteta has to address the red card issue. “You’re coaching it, or you’re allowing it to happen.” We have no way have the depth to deal with the constant suspensions. 

Three points, job done.  Giving up a garbage time goal...frustrating since a European place may come down to GD.  And we really need to be more clinical in the final 3rd.  It should have been 1 or even 2-nil at HT, 4 by the end.

Wolves on Thursday; @dbecks are the club flying you over for the makeup match? The postmatch show mentioned our games in hand are Liverpool (likely L), Chelsea (D possible) and Sh*t (winnable). Really need a W on Thursday.

On 2/19/2022 at 11:26 AM, Dutch said:

Wolves on Thursday; @dbecks are the club flying you over for the makeup match? The postmatch show mentioned our games in hand are Liverpool (likely L), Chelsea (D possible) and Sh*t (winnable). Really need a W on Thursday.

No... couldn't make it work this time around.  (Got refunded for the tickets, FWIW.)  I'm in education, so that winter break fixture would've been ideal -- not so much on a Thursday in February.

Maybe it was for the best?  Hope not... get a fackin' equalizer here.

• Hook 'Em 1

Arsenal have snatched it!

Alexandre Lacazette has missed a hatful of chances but he gets Arsenal ahead at the most important time as he plays a one-two with Nicolas Pepe before his shot deflects off Jose Sa's glove and into the back of the net.

Incredible noise at the Emirates and what a game! It has been like a cup final.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I know it's been a long time; didn't realize it was 5 years.

20 hours ago, idigTexas said:

There's a lot of work still to do, but to be in have CL in the conversation at this point in the season is progress.  Nice to have a late goal go in our favor for a change, even if a player on another team gets credited for it.  

18 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m just dreaming of St Totteringham 

Wolves haven't lost from a leading position since 2018 or something, IIRC. In recent years, we lost that match 1-nil.  Yesterday felt different. It feels as if we've turned the corner, finally. The fight back in the squad, the electric atmosphere in the Emirates... LFG, you Gunners!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 3:33 PM, idigTexas said:

I'm not going to count any points before they are earned, but it is nice to be in a position to control our own destiny.  

I’ve felt for a while that teams should start the season with a point for each match on their schedule. In the EPL, that would be 38 points. 

+2 for each Win
-1 for each Loss

It’s odd that in a Live Table, you don’t get 1 point for each remaining match on your schedule, because you’re technically 0-0, you’re not LOSING before even taking the field  

My method would give Arsenal +3 points at this stage in the season compared with the two clubs right behind them and +1 compared to Liverpool & Spurs and Yada-Yada-Yada.

Partey back on the scoresheet! Five on the trot, and (though Leicester was missing Vardy) solid at the back. We’re rounding into form, but a much stiffer test on Wednesday. 

4 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Y’all have been playing some nice football. I like watching Odegaard pulling the strings. 

Yep; he’s on a very good run of form lately. 

15 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Y’all have been playing some nice football. I like watching Odegaard pulling the strings. 

sell joe willock for £25m and sign Odegaard for £30. what a piece of business. the bird finally opened up the checkbook last summer and arteta and edu nailed every signing. if we get a repeat performance this summer then i feel like we'll be back at the top to stay. need to finish the job this season, but i too really enjoy watching this team play, and i think we will do the job. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Two matches in four days coming up, and then a long break. Any chance they schedule one of the make-up matches then?

Actually, we just played the first of three matches in seven days, so back-to-back "two matches in four days."  It will be interesting to see what we do with the lineup versus Liverpool.  Do we give them our best, or try to conserve some legs for Saturday's match at Villa?

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

It will be interesting to see what we do with the lineup versus Liverpool.  Do we give them our best, or try to conserve some legs for Saturday's match at Villa?

Yup. We need three points from one of these two matches, and, though a point vs Liverpool (they way they're playing) would feel like a win, Villa is probably the more important match for our season. We've taken care of business vs teams we "should" beat and really can't afford to drop points to open the door for Utd and Sh*t.

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

sell joe willock for £25m and sign Odegaard for £30. what a piece of business.

Odegaard for net £5m will go down as one of the best pieces of transfer business in EPL history.  He's clearly more comfortable with the EPL than during his loan last year.