RIP Bobby Bowden

ztejas

10 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Everyone calls Spurrier the Ole Ball Coach, but Ole Bobby was every bit that guy as well. I loved that dude.

Yeah.  Spurrier turned an underperformer into a power, Bowden turned a nobody into the preeminent power from the mid 80s to 2000.

8 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-jan-04-sp-50475-story.html

Warsaw Rules.

When Janikowski was arrested for possessing GHB in Tally - and tried to bribe his way out - he said in defense that he did not speak English well enough to even understand the cop.

English literacy is no bar to FSU gpa eligibility. Also, Deion Sanders did not attend ONE class his last semester at FSU. Not. One. Which was fine with Bobby.

Can’t all run a class act program like Florida’s last national title-winning coach.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Funny watching the few on here hating on Bowden. He was a good man and a good person. I have an uncle who was/is friends with him. Bobby’s persona per my uncle is just as we all see it in the media.

The few meaning mainly the Florida Gator fan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2021 at 6:16 AM, cmontexas said:

I bet Deion still loses sleep over what could have been had he applied himself and attended class

Next the pearl clutchers will say he got money in college.

Seriously though.  Anyone who had to watch his team play vintage FSU and Miami knows that one made you hate losing to in football, while the other you hate living in the same country. 

On 8/9/2021 at 8:16 AM, cmontexas said:

I bet Deion still loses sleep over what could have been had he applied himself and attended class

Not everyone can pass a rigorous course load at such a prestigious university as Florida State. Doing things like this, however, is a walk in the park and was clearly a huge advantage for their football program:

On May 16, 1987, while the Metro Conference baseball and track championships were being played simultaneously in Columbia, South Carolina, Sanders played in the conference semifinal baseball game against Southern Mississippi, ran a leg of a 4 × 100 relay, then returned to play in the baseball championship game against Cincinnati