2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

25 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ostekowski is pretty awful. We would have been worse without him but that’s more an indictment of our squad than a positive for osetkowski.

I wouldn't say awful, but not good enough to be a starter in the top half of the big 12.  He was asked to be too much, because of - as you say - our dumpy roster.  He would be a nice role player.  Come in give you a few buckets, bang the glass, give some fouls.  We could have used James Banks in that role but instead we invited him to transfer.

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ostekowski is pretty awful. We would have been worse without him but that’s more an indictment of our squad than a positive for osetkowski.

He went 5 of 7 from downtown against WVU. A game we had to win and were without Bamba. How many bigs have we had in the past that can do that?

42 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

He went 5 of 7 from downtown against WVU. A game we had to win and were without Bamba. How many bigs have we had in the past that can do that?

Atchley was once like 5-5 in a big win over Kansas. Goo Punch's favorite jag, Lammert, once had a 3-4 game on the road against Baylor. Boddicker, I'm sure made 5 3's in a game once.

What part of "rotation" do you not understand? We might actually have depth at guard for the first time under Shaka. Will it make a difference? We'll see, but it can't hurt.

As of right now, our starting lineup looks like this: Coleman, Long, Febres, Osetkowski, Sims. Ramey can be the first guard off the bench while we work Jones back into the rotation (very) slowly. If Cremo comes here, all the better.

Edited by Machinator

Enough to know that the guard rotation would be 3 deep. As it sits right now, Ferbes would get very little playing time if Long can come anywhere close to his shooting percentages at the Mount. If Cremo transfers here, Ferbes would ride the pine all year, and Ramey would probably get less than 15 minutes a game.

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

Coleman, Long, Febres, Ramey is a pretty decent guard rotation. If Roach comes back, Cremo commits, or if Jones can play at even 70% of his pre-injury level, that's really good.

Were going to be set at guard (although we still could have shooting questions), but our front court situation looks bleak. Even if DO and Sims both make strides forward we have no viable backups or depth. We’ll be a poor man’s version of KU, with no Graham to lead us. As of now we still don’t look like contenders to win a weakened conference. It’s rarely good to have a roster imbalance like this. One injury to either of our two actual post players and you’re looking at a potential 4-guard lineup for Texas.

Edited by Goo Punch

Also Sims looks to be a candidate to be the guy who will let all of the sunshine pumpers down. There’s always at least one and he’s being set up for the fall. Defensively and on the glass he should be a play maker, but if he still can’t score anywhere outside of a few feet then he’ll be easy to defend. He’s also a candidate to pick up a whole mess of fouls being that he’s our only true post player and looks to easily be slotted in for 30+ mpg. To hear our SP fans talk about him they seem to think he’ll be Chris Owens next year. I hope he is, but I won’t hold my breath. With DO as more of a perimeter player and Sims as our only center it’ll be a tall task for Sims to be everything everyone wants him to be next year. At another poster’s request I posted my projected stats for him next year and as I recall they looked good. But I still don’t see him developing an offensive game from scratch in one offseason.

Edited by Goo Punch

Connor Lammert made multiple threes in 12 different games his senior year. He made 3+ six times that season. He even went 5-7 from deep on the road against KU that year. And he did it shooting a much higher percentage than DO.

Edited by Goo Punch

Also keep in mind that none of these past players soot nearly as many threes under Rick as the likes of Connor and DO do under Shaka. We’ve had plenty of bigs who could shoot, DO is just the first one to have his coach say, “Hey go ahead and shoot five of these per game at 28%.”

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Cashcar said:

Sims developed nicely as the year went on. Texas will have good length with Sims, DO, Hepa, and Hayes. Having a "true post player" is not essential to fielding a quality basketball team. I like the roster development with the addition of Ramey at the expense of Jacob Young. The icing on the cake is if Snoop stays or Shaka can convince Cremo to sign with Texas. 

I'm guessing if Roach comes back, Cremo isn't coming. But if Roach goes, we have a shot at Cremo. 

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Ioannis Papapetrou. Damn camel, I’m not sure you could have posed a question with *more* correct answers.

Lol. Papapetrou? Dude was a classic Rick Barnes bust. Almost as bad a signing as Balbay. Amazing that Rick had to go all the way to Eastern Europe to find busts.

hilarious that you think DO is worth a shit and then dog on balbay.  

barnes was way too in love with balbay and he shouldn't have started over j'covan, but he was absolutely a productive player who was a net positive for the team.  can not say the same for DO at all.

1 hour ago, Cameltoe said:

Lol. Papapetrou? Dude was a classic Rick Barnes bust. Almost as bad a signing as Balbay. Amazing that Rick had to go all the way to Eastern Europe to find busts.

Balbay was an elite defender despite his inability to score the ball. Hell he made first team all defense for the big12. 

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

hilarious that you think DO is worth a shit and then dog on balbay.  

barnes was way too in love with balbay and he shouldn't have started over j'covan, but he was absolutely a productive player who was a net positive for the team.  can not say the same for DO at all.

Tom Izzo called Balbay the best perimeter defender in the country. Balbay was amazing defensively that year, as good as we’ve ever had at Texas. He shut down all kinds of stud perimeter players, from diminutive guards like Kalin Lucas to 6’6”, Big XII POY James Anderson. Doj is easily one of our most slept-on players because of how poor he was as a shooter. It’s a shame.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

Oh yeah, and Papi was such a bust that he received a million-dollar offer from a Greek pro team after one year at Texas. 6’8”, shot 36% from three, and put up respectable numbers for a freshman playing less than 25 mpg. He wasn’t a freshman standout, but he was far from a bust. As usual, you’re an uninformed idiot.

Edited by Goo Punch

11 hours ago, Cashcar said:

Sims developed nicely as the year went on. Texas will have good length with Sims, DO, Hepa, and Hayes. Having a "true post player" is not essential to fielding a quality basketball team. I like the roster development with the addition of Ramey at the expense of Jacob Young. The icing on the cake is if Snoop stays or Shaka can convince Cremo to sign with Texas. 

I absolutely love Sims. He’s going to be one of my all time favorites I’m guessing. Should he develop a legit offensive game then he has an All Conference ceiling. I’m simply of the opinion that a lot of fans, in all sports, can’t help but see a young/potential-laden player and assume/project him to be the best version of himself before he’s there, and I *think* that we’re seeing that with Sims. 

Some numbers from his freshman year:

5.0 points

3.9 rebounds

0.5 blocks

0.3 steals

0.2 assists

.426 FT%

Those are his freshman year numbers. Ioannis Papapetrou’s freshman year numbers >>> Sims’ numbers, and I’ve just been informed that Papi was a bust.

Sims scored double digit points 4 times last year

He scored 6 or fewer points a whopping 23 times last year

He got 4 or fewer rebounds a whopping 24 times last year

And now just some facts:

His offensive game was as limited as an Alexis Wangmene type player last year

He could not shoot, handle, or pass with proficiency 

He had a lot of trouble knowing where he was supposed to be on both ends of the court, although I do expect this to be much improved

Like I said, I love the guy. An explosive athlete but an understated dude- that combo always equals a fan favorite. But I personally believe that people are taking their affinity for the kid and their proclivity to pump sunshine and they are projecting way too much out of him. Every time I try to talk about our front court problems everyone is just, “Aw, shit man, Sims is a star, we’re good.” No, were not. Not in my opinion anyway. The general expectation on Sims is unrealistic from where I’m sitting. In the long run? Yeah, he’s got a high ceiling. Next year, on a team where he has no back up and no help? I don’t see this breakthrough performance that everyone else does.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Hilarious that he thinks Barnes found Papaetrou in Europe. He also wasn't a bust. He was a 3 star that made millions after 1 season at Texas.

Papi played one season here, put up mediocre stats, and left. He did exactly jack shit for the University of Texas basketball program, which makes him a bust recruit. What he did after leaving here I don't know or care about.

10 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

Papi played one season here, put up mediocre stats, and left. He did exactly jack shit for the University of Texas basketball program, which makes him a bust recruit. What he did after leaving here I don't know or care about.

He had a fine freshman season, went home to Greece (btw Greece and Turkey aren’t in Eastern Europe, and we got Papi from Florida, so...), and while he was there was unexpectedly approached by a Greek pro team who offered him a million-dollar contract. Literally nobody but you would call that guy a bust. Just drop it already.

Edited by Goo Punch

37 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

It’s ok to be wrong sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The advantage of Ramey is that there is another ball handler and that makes three with Coleman and Long.  Add another one with Roach or even better, Cremo and we are ensured of having at least two in the game at all times.  With this many ball handlers you don't need Osetkowski to be a creator on the perimeter.  I think Shaka and he felt he had to create once Jones was gone. The problem was that his range extended to having a toe on the line. If he can do some work and extend his range by 6 inches on catch and shoots, then he can be effective as a pick and pop guy.  And other times he should by posting.  Does anyone know if Ramey and Long make good entry passes? 

Febres now has incentive to work if he wants to be a part of the lineup. Any word on who they will hire as an asst?

4 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

Those mediocre stats were much better than Osetkowski's.

25 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Those mediocre stats were much better than Osetkowski's.

Lol, are you fucking kidding me? The Papi year was 2013, the year we finished 94th in Pomeroy, our worst season performance in the last 20 years. He had less points per game than Dylan as well as less rebounds per game. His stats were not better than DO's and we at least made the NCAA tournament with DO a big part of that this year.

Edited by Cameltoe

5 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Balbay was an elite defender despite his inability to score the ball. Hell he made first team all defense for the big12. 

First of all, he was not an elite defender. He was competent at defense. We had to hear about his defense constantly because it was the only way to explain Barnes's weird love for him. We didn't win games because of his defense, it was whatever. And he could've been Dikembe Mutombo on defense and it still wouldn't've made up for the complete abomination he was on offense. Defenses literally played 5 on 4 against us when he was out on the court.

• Fuck You 3

58 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

First of all, he was not an elite defender. He was competent at defense. We had to hear about his defense constantly because it was the only way to explain Barnes's weird love for him. We didn't win games because of his defense, it was whatever. And he could've been Dikembe Mutombo on defense and it still wouldn't've made up for the complete abomination he was on offense. Defenses literally played 5 on 4 against us when he was out on the court.

You somehow keep finding ways to top yourself. Wow. What’s next, Kevin Durant wasn’t a great scorer? LaSalle Thompson was a competent rebounder? Gabe Muoneke was simply “ok” at punching people? Gtfo.

Here is a pretty telling line put up by the Michigan State guards in their recent loss to Texas. A game that I'd hoped would give some good insight into Tom Izzo's squad.

Kalin Lucas had zero assists and six turnovers.

Chris Allen had zero assists and five turnovers.

Korie Lucious had two assists and four turnovers.

Durrell Summers had one assist and two turnovers.

Not a single player among the back court, that is supposedly Michigan State's strength, managed to crack an assist to turnover ratio of one.  In fact, the lowly .5 put up by Lucious and Summers looks downright sublime next to the ridiculous goose eggs put up by Lucas and Allen.

With four assists, Draymond Green put up more than the entire backcourt, which, as you can imagine, led to problems for the Spartans in their test vs. No. 2 Texas.

MSU finished the game with only 12 assists, gave up 22 turnovers, got out-rebounded, and out-shot in a game that was somehow competitive until the last five minutes.

Texas showed absolutely no respect for Lucious or Lucas, often picking them up immediately after half court, pressing them relentlessly, and daring them to drive the ball to the basket.

And yet State couldn't get by them, at least not with any consistency.

Even worse, they continually turned the ball over when being guarded by forwards—albeit athletic ones—out on the perimeter.

This led to a compete lack of coherence in their half court sets, as a pressured guard who is too short to throw over anyone and isn't capable of getting by them, is going to have trouble initiating the offense.

At times, State was running the weave a good five feet behind the three point line; apparently unable to get any closer and devoid of any inside game that might have loosened up some of the pressure.

Outmatched mostly by Damion James who put up 23 points and 13 boards, following up his monster 25 and 15 performance against Carolina, propelling Texas to another win over a top ten team.

But outmatched by Dogus Balbay and Gary Johnson as well, who had six takeaways between them and added an energy that Michigan State could not rise to.

I mean you have to be intentionally stupid to not remember the performances that the 2009 defense was putting up, led by Balbay. For the first half of the year we were statistically among the best defenses in history, again, led by Balbay.

While Texas gained notice by dropping at least 100 points on three of their last four opponents, the Longhorns take special pride in defense.

They rank first nationally in defensive field-goal percentage (33.5 percent) and ninth in scoring defense (57.4ppg).

Texas guard Dogus Balbay finished with three steals, six assists and eight points while helping limit Michigan State point guard Kalin Lucas to 3-for-11 shooting.

1 hour ago, Cameltoe said:

I hope you’re just trolling at this point.

• Like 1

Sims improved tremendously by season's end so season averages tell you nothing about the upward trend in his play, especially the last several games of the season. Coach Horn did a great job with Sims last year and Sims most likely will continue to improve a ton next season under Horn's tutelage. Having such a raw game made it easier for him to improve compared to more polished players and I expect Sims to continue to improve a lot next season. Sims already handles well for a big. With his explosive quickness and leaping ability, Sims only needs to bounce the ball once or twice to go from outside to the rim and finish. Sims is naturally ambidextrous which is a huge asset for both driving and finishing inside. 

I don't expect Sims to be an offensive star next season but do expect that he will have a good fg shooting % and would not be surprised to see him average >= 10 pts/game.

Dylan played a lot more minutes and shot a lot more than Papi so it is expected that he would score more.  Papi hit a much higher % on 3s and was a similar rebounder per minute played. Papi was also a true frosh while Dylan was in his his 4th year in college. 

Seems extremely likely that Jones will be back next year on the roster as a scholarship player since there is no way he is going to take a medical scholarship because that would be giving up on his dream to be an elite basketball player. Recovering so that he plays at the same level next season as he did before he got sick seems like it would be a miraculous and improbable thing to accomplish so soon.

Edited by Kafka

14 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I absolutely love Sims. He’s going to be one of my all time favorites I’m guessing. Should he develop a legit offensive game then he has an All Conference ceiling. I’m simply of the opinion that a lot of fans, in all sports, can’t help but see a young/potential-laden player and assume/project him to be the best version of himself before he’s there, and I *think* that we’re seeing that with Sims. 

Some numbers from his freshman year:

5.0 points

3.9 rebounds

0.5 blocks

0.3 steals

0.2 assists

.426 FT%

Those are his freshman year numbers. Ioannis Papapetrou’s freshman year numbers >>> Sims’ numbers, and I’ve just been informed that Papi was a bust.

Sims scored double digit points 4 times last year

He scored 6 or fewer points a whopping 23 times last year

He got 4 or fewer rebounds a whopping 24 times last year

And now just some facts:

His offensive game was as limited as an Alexis Wangmene type player last year

He could not shoot, handle, or pass with proficiency 

He had a lot of trouble knowing where he was supposed to be on both ends of the court, although I do expect this to be much improved

Like I said, I love the guy. An explosive athlete but an understated dude- that combo always equals a fan favorite. But I personally believe that people are taking their affinity for the kid and their proclivity to pump sunshine and they are projecting way too much out of him. Every time I try to talk about our front court problems everyone is just, “Aw, shit man, Sims is a star, we’re good.” No, were not. Not in my opinion anyway. The general expectation on Sims is unrealistic from where I’m sitting. In the long run? Yeah, he’s got a high ceiling. Next year, on a team where he has no back up and no help? I don’t see this breakthrough performance that everyone else does.

This is very disingenuous, Sims played limited minutes when Bamba was healthy.  Of course his stats were going to look shitty when he wasn't getting a lot of minutes.  His stats from the games in which Bamba was out are more of an indicator of what he will be next year.  He almost averaged a double double in those games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

This is very disingenuous, Sims played limited minutes when Bamba was healthy.  Of course his stats were going to look shitty when he wasn't getting a lot of minutes.  His stats from the games in which Bamba was out are more of an indicator of what he will be next year.  He almost averaged a double double in those games.

You just reiterated my point. You expect the absolute best version of Sims to be the guy we see next year, despite the fact that he couldn’t earn more PT on a team with no post depth, and only had a handful of good games. 

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Camel asked how many bigs we’ve had who could shoot threes, so it’s not stupid at all to mention Papi.

Papi got fewer minutes than DO on a team that lost in the 1st round of the CBI. DO played more minutes than Papi on a team that went to the NCAA. And yet the idiot "HTownHorn" wants to tell me Papi put up "way" better stats than DO. Go look at the stats. I have 16 years of per-possession stats on every NCAA player at my fingertips with my subscription to kenpom. Papi's stats are not better than DO's. You say nothing but negative shit about Shaka and his players, htownhorn, and you are a fucking joke. You should transition over to a Cougars fan instead, they've really got something going with Coach Sampson now.