Summer Transfer Window - 2018 Version

Jograves

12 hours ago, TxEx99 said:

Drinkwater made no sense then.  It makes even less sense now and will basically stall his career unless he takes a massive paycut because no one is going to fork over a fee and huge wages for a middling cm, even if he is English and can help several teams fill their quota as well.  

Stall his career? Heh. 

9 hours ago, JNip said:

Vidal to Barça. Make completely sense because he is a fucking cunt who hates Real Madrid.

What makes sense is that he is a high energy dynamo that can cover acres and acres of space to protect Piqué and his cement boots. He also is infinitely better in the final third than Mascherano was and even more of an offensive threat than Paulinho.

That being said, he's on the older side of starting to get old and he should break down more and more. But if they watch his minutes, he should help them win the league again, but his effect in the Champions League will be measured.

Also, Vidal was supposedly a shoe-in for Juventus if they wanted him, but they have been trying to pry Modric from Real and in doing so, let him slip through their fingers.

The BBC has this on its FOOTBALL page:

Willian_to_stay_at_Chelsea.png

Either Willian doesn't care about winning trophies and would rather see starters minutes than be a rotational player for Barcelona or...

Willian is a fucking idiot!!

There might be other things involved here: English girlfriend(s), kids, business interests off the field, he likes cold & rainy weather for 10 months out of the year... but...

I would be in Barcelona, living on the Mediterranean, winning trophies, dating a melange of beach bodied women, and partying on yachts over staying in London and playing in the Europa League. If he goes to Barcelona, they increase their lead as the favorites to win the Champions League and he plays in a stadium that seats about 90,000. And you would think that someone from Brazil might like warmer weather.

[I'm not going to look up where in Brazil he is from.] 

42 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

That's shitty. Turn in your transfer request. 

Look for the mysterious Coutinho Back Injury to surface.

I think that he had requested a transfer behind closed doors, but it was an open secret.

He's been waiting for things to work themselves out, but not that the clock is ticking really loudly, his transfer request has become more public.

If you are fairly certain that you aren't going to play with your current squad in the very near future, it is extremely awkward to show up and train while everyone knows that you are almost gone physically and completely gone mentally. Just look at how Neymar's exit from Barcelona went in his final week or two of training before leaving for PSG. There was definitely animosity with some of his teammates. No one wants to deal with that.

I don't think that Tbo is claiming to be injured, I think that he would rather avoid putting on a charade. If Chelsea can't get a deal done, then I'm sure that he will show up and play until a deal is done in January... and even then he might have to play out the full year. But until the window closes, he's taking a wait-and-see approach over a business-as-usual approach. I would as well.

Why is everyone so obsessed with Fekir? Will he be much of a difference maker at a big club? I honestly don’t know much about him except for his World Cup play and I wasn’t impressed. 

Edited by JNip

12 minutes ago, JNip said:

Why is everyone so obsessed with Fekir? Will he be much of a difference maker at a big club? I honestly don’t know much about him except for his World Cup play and I wasn’t impressed. 

From a Liverpool perspective, he'll fit into Klopp's system. Attacking mid with decent strength. I think that's why the knee has LFC spooked. Klopp can wear out a midfielder who is in good shape, let alone one who has a nagging injury.

No idea what others see. Perhaps it's just that he seems available, so let's throw some cash out there?

51 minutes ago, JNip said:

Here is an article from Squawka, they appear to like him outside of his knees.

Link

His Place?

If an attacking midfielder/winger who can create chances, take shots, cross the ball and dribble for fun sounds familiar to Liverpool fans it’s because it’s basically describing the departed Philippe Coutinho.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dertyberd said:

Lulz.  Somebody paid money for Joe Hart. You can find better keepers in the MLS than that poor guy.  He's mentally fucked.  

Burnley’s top 2 GKs are injured. Pretty sure Burnley just looked for a cheap, available British keeper.

Gotcha.  There had to be a reason.  He makes some incredible saves when he's on, but thats rare these days.  His confidence is shot and there is nothing worse than that for a keeper. 

I still can't believe Karius is even training with Pool.  Shocked the club hasn't at least sent him on loan somewhere for his own safety.  

18 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You serious, Clark?

That is his release clause.  After Real Madrid attempted to sign him last season, Bilboa added the elevated release clause. Looks like we are going to pay it.

Also, Bakayoko on loan to AC Milan.

Damn.  I realize they need to replace Tbo, but that's not their only need.

For once in a long time, I am almost starting to feel like Barca has their shit together in the transfer market - coherent strategy/vision and contingency plans - rather than some reactionary bull shit to whatever Perez is doing with Real.  Although, I think the 50MM + Mina + Gomes for Pogba may have been more of a needle at Mou than ambitious fishing expedition.  Maybe Valverde and Abidal know what they are doing and have been able to keep the board/Bartomeu from fucking shit up.  

7 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Damn.  I realize they need to replace Tbo, but that's not their only need. 

Going into next season with Caballero as your starter or overpay for a top young La Liga GK.

I'll take Kepa.

Also, Fuck you Tbo.

28 minutes ago, MoJames said:

That is his release clause.  After Real Madrid attempted to sign him last season, Bilboa added the elevated release clause. Looks like we are going to pay it.

Also, Bakayoko on loan to AC Milan.

Bakayoko’s loan deal reportedly has an option to buy.

Guardian on Kepa and Kovacic

Chelsea will pay a world record fee for a goalkeeper to secure Kepa Arrizabalaga from Athletic Bilbao as a replacement for Thibaut Courtois, who failed to report for training for a second day in succession and is expected to sign for Real Madrid.

Kepa, Spain’s second choice and considered one of the most promising keepers in Europe having impressed for his country through the junior age groups,, has a release clause set at €80m (£71.6m). Bilbao expect to lose the 23-year-old, who has travelled to Madrid with his agent ahead of a flight to London around 10am on Wednesday, having come close to selling him to Real for only £17.9m in January.

He passed a medical in the mid-season window only for the then Real manager, Zinedine Zidane, to dissuade the board from pursuing a deal because he was wary of disrupting the team’s rhythm by changing goalkeepers halfway through the campaign. Bilbao ended up securing him to new terms, including the buyout clause, before finishing 16th with Kepa making 30 La Liga appearances en route.

Kepa and his entourage have been led to believe Chelsea are prepared to trigger the clause in a deal which would eclipse the £66.9m Liverpool paid Roma for the Brazil No 1 Alisson last month.

The move constitutes a surprise, not least because Chelsea, too, looked into signing Alisson earlier this summer but were apparently put off by the size of the fee. They have also been considering cheaper options such as Jack Butland and Sergio Rico of Stoke and Sevilla respectively.

Their desire to add another body in midfield is close to being resolved with the signing of Real’s Mateo Kovacic on a season-long loan deal. Both deals are expected to be announced on Wednesday.

Real have offered the unsettled Croatia midfielder effectively as a sweetener to ensure their pursuit of Courtois reaches a positive conclusion. Kovacic has made clear his desire to play more regularly and will be permitted to leave for the season. Chelsea would not have an option to make the move permanent next summer, with Real considering him a long-term successor for his compatriot, Luka Modric.

Courtois, who had been due to resume training at Chelsea on Monday following an extended break after the World Cup, was absent without leave at Cobham again on Tuesday. Chelsea have written to the Belgian formally requesting him to return on Wednesdaytoday. The goalkeeper, who has entered the final 12 months of his contract, had made clear in a telephone conversation with Maurizio Sarri last week that he wants to return to Madrid, where he spent three years on loan at Atlético and his two children live with his former partner.

Kovacic, a £27m signing from Internazionale three years ago, has found opportunities limited at the Bernabéu and made only 10 La Liga starts last season. He would most likely play alongside Jorginho and N’Golo Kanté in Sarri’s favoured 4-3-3 system and his arrival could yet see Chelsea attempt to shift at least one of their fringe midfielders, Danny Drinkwater, Tiemoué Bakayoko or even Ross Barkley, ahead of Thursday’s cut-off.

Clubs have been put off to date by the loan fees that would be involved, with some prospective suitors quoted eight figure sums plus the entirety of the player’s wage to take them on for the season. Bakayoko, who starts Wednesday’s friendly against Lyon, could join Milan for the season. Ruben Loftus-Cheek remains keen to prove himself at his parent club and is reluctant to leave on another temporary deal, though that situation could yet be revisited later this month if foreign clubs declare an interest in a loan.

14 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Why does no one love keylor navas? Seems like a top 5-7 goalie in the world to me and RM are too happy to replace him. 

He has had one or two howlers last year (one against Juve in the quarters second leg, the other I can't remember), but otherwise I have no idea.  He can be an exceptional keeper, doesn't seem a malcontent and doesn't cost them the apparent going rate of top keepers.  Real doesn't need someone exceptional with the ball at their feet like Barca or Man City and it isn't like their keepers are called upon all that often.  Maybe he still has too strong of a Tico accent. 

I really think Perez just likes showing off the shiniest new toy sometimes and DeGea/Allison/Tbo were the past couple of transfer windows's sexy GK pickup.

If I were Chelsea, I would have tried to swap Tbo for Navas/Kovacic + money.

I think Tbo to Real Madrid had more to do with Tbo than Navas.

Tier 1 for Real Madrid

[COPE] Madrid and Chelsea agree on one-year loan for Kovacic. It was closed yesterday by José Ángel Sánchez in London.

[COPE] Courtois to Real Madrid done, 5 year €35M contract. Official announcement tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Why does no one love keylor navas? Seems like a top 5-7 goalie in the world to me and RM are too happy to replace him. 

1 hour ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

He has had one or two howlers last year (one against Juve in the quarters second leg, the other I can't remember), but otherwise I have no idea.  He can be an exceptional keeper, doesn't seem a malcontent and doesn't cost them the apparent going rate of top keepers.  Real doesn't need someone exceptional with the ball at their feet like Barca or Man City and it isn't like their keepers are called upon all that often.  Maybe he still has too strong of a Tico accent. 

I really think Perez just likes showing off the shiniest new toy sometimes and DeGea/Allison/Tbo were the past couple of transfer windows's sexy GK pickup.

If I were Chelsea, I would have tried to swap Tbo for Navas/Kovacic + money.

My guess has always been that he doesn't look the part. When you compare the looks of Casillas & Navas, you know which one is going to sell more posters around the world.

I think that the Mesoamerican look isn't what Perez would prefer between the pipes. Tbo is pretty dorky looking if you ask me, but he is a typical continental European looking guy (in the traditional sense) and I think that Perez wants a certain look at key positions. 

Replacing Navas THIS YEAR is hardly a priority. Real could easily have just told Tbo that they would sign him in January and not paid a transfer fee and spent their money elsewhere. I think that it's stupid, but I don't know what the numbers are and whether Tbo's transfer fee will be covered by increased revenue.

Que sé yo?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JNip said:

He played 68 minutes total across 7 matches. It's pretty dumb to judge him based on being a game-killing sub.

Not saying he doesn't have serious question marks, particularly about the long-term health of his knee, but judging him based on less than 70 minutes of game action in which he came in as France was just trying to wind down the clock is silly.

He scored 18 in 30 league matches last year, with 8 assists. He's got an insane free kick, won more fouls than anyone in the league, and is the captain of Lyon at age 24. He's a quality player.

• Like 1