Summer Transfer Window - 2018 Version

Jograves

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Malcom moves from Bordeaux to Barca.

Bordeaux doin' bidniz, but the way they went about agreeing with Roma and then saying "Wait, we aren't finished taking bids yet..." and then negotiating with Barcelona was total screw job to Roma, but it made Bordeaux 7 to 8 million Euros more. (Depending on how things go.)

It is understandable for Bordeaux to want as much money as possible, but wow, Roma has to be fucking pissed. It looked like they were going to get their Salah replacement for less than what they sold Salah to Liverpool for. Even Barcelona paid 1 million Euro less (or perhaps equal money) than Roma got for selling Salah. (Roma sold Salah for 42 million Euros.)

Salah is now worth 135 million Pounds according to Transfermarket, which is basically 152 million Euros. If Malcom becomes 2/3s of the player that Salah has become, then perhaps Roma could have doubled their money in about two years... but now Barcelona will have this Messi starter kit to play with for the next 2 to 10 years. I mention Messi, because in his videos he appeared to play the same position and cut into the middle to fire on goal with his left foot like Messi (and Arjen Robben and Mo Salah...) and I'm not sure where he'll play in the short term. (Or if he will even play.)

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Bordeaux doin' bidniz, but the way they went about agreeing with Roma and then saying "Wait, we aren't finished taking bids yet..." and then negotiating with Barcelona was total screw job to Roma, but it made Bordeaux 7 to 8 million Euros more. (Depending on how things go.)

It is understandable for Bordeaux to want as much money as possible, but wow, Roma has to be fucking pissed. It looked like they were going to get their Salah replacement for less than what they sold Salah to Liverpool for. Even Barcelona paid 1 million Euro less (or perhaps equal money) than Roma got for selling Salah. (Roma sold Salah for 42 million Euros.)

Salah is now worth 135 million Pounds according to Transfermarket, which is basically 152 million Euros. If Malcom becomes 2/3s of the player that Salah has become, then perhaps Roma could have doubled their money in about two years... but now Barcelona will have this Messi starter kit to play with for the next 2 to 10 years. I mention Messi, because in his videos he appeared to play the same position and cut into the middle to fire on goal with his left foot like Messi (and Arjen Robben and Mo Salah...) and I'm not sure where he'll play in the short term. (Or if he will even play.)

Yeah I have a hard time blaming Bordeaux given most French teams’ lack of revenue.

15 hours ago, Napoleon said:

but now Barcelona will have this Messi starter kit to play with for the next 2 to 10 years. I mention Messi, because in his videos he appeared to play the same position and cut into the middle to fire on goal with his left foot like Messi (and Arjen Robben and Mo Salah...) and I'm not sure where he'll play in the short term. (Or if he will even play.)

He'll more than likely get backup minutes as I don't think he'll start over Messi, Suarez, Dembele, or Coutinho as he plays way too much in the same spaces as the previous players. A bit of a step back for his career, imo, and I bet we'll see him move in 2 years for less than what they paid. 

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Bayern buys Alphonso Davies from Vancouver for $13m rising to $18m with add ons.

Bayern's North American moves this summer:

1) Buy Alphonso Davies, Canada's rising superstar.
2) Sign FC Dallas' Chris Richardson to a U-19 loan (Chris is from Alabama and was scooped up by the Houston Texans before FC Dallas stole him.)
3) Rumored to be signing Real Salt Lake's Academy kid Taylor Booth once the kid gets his Italian passport. (Taylor is pulling a Weston McKennie and not signing a pro contract with RSL.)

It appears that Bayern is going all in on becoming a top soccer brand in North America now that Mex-USA-Can have been awarded the 2026 World Cup and soccer fever will grow far beyond its current boundaries. 

Alphonso is the best player, by far, and so Bayern will shell out for him. Richardson is coming for a pittance and would probably only garner a $1 million fee if next summer Bayern decides to buy him.

Booth is coming for free and from what I've read, is a questionable inclusion for the U-20 Men's team, so hardly Bayern-level, but they can have him train with them for a couple of years and then sell him for profit while they increase their brand Stateside.

All in all, I think that Bayern looks at North America as a region primed for raping and their getting their groove on this summer.

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Bayern's North American moves this summer:

1) Buy Alphonso Davies, Canada's rising superstar.
2) Sign FC Dallas' Chris Richardson to a U-19 loan (Chris is from Alabama and was scooped up by the Houston Texans before FC Dallas stole him.)
3) Rumored to be signing Real Salt Lake's Academy kid Taylor Booth once the kid gets his Italian passport. (Taylor is pulling a Weston McKennie and not signing a pro contract with RSL.)

It appears that Bayern is going all in on becoming a top soccer brand in North America now that Mex-USA-Can have been awarded the 2026 World Cup and soccer fever will grow far beyond its current boundaries. 

Alphonso is the best player, by far, and so Bayern will shell out for him. Richardson is coming for a pittance and would probably only garner a $1 million fee if next summer Bayern decides to buy him.

Booth is coming for free and from what I've read, is a questionable inclusion for the U-20 Men's team, so hardly Bayern-level, but they can have him train with them for a couple of years and then sell him for profit while they increase their brand Stateside.

All in all, I think that Bayern looks at North America as a region primed for raping and their getting their groove on this summer.

I hate seeing our youth prospects go to huge clubs where the chances of breaking through to the first team are very low. It ends up being loan move after loan move. McKennie going to Schalke was actually smart given that they actually try to develop and play youth prospects.

50 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I hate seeing our youth prospects go to huge clubs where the chances of breaking through to the first team are very low. It ends up being loan move after loan move. McKennie going to Schalke was actually smart given that they actually try to develop and play youth prospects.

Replace "McKennie" & "Schalke" with "Josh Sargent" & "Werder Bremen" 

The Chris Richardson move is because:
(A) Dallas poached Chris Richardson from the Houston Texans and the MLS has designed a Red-Shirt year policy to discourage teams from poaching from other teams.
(B) FC Dallas doesn't have a USL team to store Chris at for a year so that he can get game time.
(C) FC Dallas has a training agreement with Bayern Munich, which is more attractive to young prospects than a year or two in USL while also easier for Dallas to get off the ground vs creating a USL squad.

FC Dallas should play in Downtown Dallas and have a USL squad play in Frisco, but that's for another thread.

41 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Replace "McKennie" & "Schalke" with "Josh Sargent" & "Werder Bremen" 

The Chris Richardson move is because:
(A) Dallas poached Chris Richardson from the Houston Texans and the MLS has designed a Red-Shirt year policy to discourage teams from poaching from other teams.
(B) FC Dallas doesn't have a USL team to store Chris at for a year so that he can get game time.
(C) FC Dallas has a training agreement with Bayern Munich, which is more attractive to young prospects than a year or two in USL while also easier for Dallas to get off the ground vs creating a USL squad.

FC Dallas should play in Downtown Dallas and have a USL squad play in Frisco, but that's for another thread.

Yeah, Sargent’s move was smart. I also don’t have an issue with Richards going on loan to BM to play for their youth squad. I’m more talking about Booth signing with BM or Miazga signing with Chelsea. There really isn’t a clear path to the first team and it’s unlikely there ever will be.

• Like 1