Summer Transfer Window - 2018 Version

Jograves

Higuain, meeting with Juventus concluded and talks scheduled with Milan: the latest on striker's future

I'd be ok with this, wasn't excited with him to Chelsea.

Gonzalo Higuain could depart Juventus before the transfer closes, there is concrete interest from Milan in the striker, and his current club would like to sell the Argentine. In a two hour meeting with Nicolas Higuain (brother-agent to Gonzalo), Juventus presented the situation. The offer from Milan is a loan with € 20 million fee, plus € 35m purchase option.

The offer was not wholly satisfying to the Higuain side, but next, Nicolas will meet with Leonardo in the next few hours. The Milan director will try to convince him of the move, while explaining that the formula of the deal is necessary to balance the books and that Higuain will remain a cornerstone for the Milan project into the future.

This issue is clear from the sides, but it will now be offered to Higuain's requests. The upcoming meeting between Nicolas Higuain and Leonardo will therefore be decisive for the player's future.

11 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Probably. They are so damn strong.

However, it's HARD to repeat. And Champions League/Cup games can take their toll.

But Guardiola is very experienced at failing in the Champions League with loaded teams while still winning the league... year-after-year, so...

12 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Casual fan checking in here. Is City still going to repeat? I'll hang up and listen.

City is still the best team but repeating is tough. Liverpool looks like the next best contender, and I think that Arsenal is, for the first time in 20+ years, the wild card. City are definitely the favorites though, and the only real reason i have at this time to say they won't repeat is simply that repeating is hard to do. 

23 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I think they’re going to get pantsed bad. Apparently they’ve agreed to a £15m fee for Mawson with Swansea.

Mitrovic was such a bust the first time around but he was also like 21. I'm not convinced he'll be any good, and I'm even less convinced about Schurrle, but Mawson is a pretty damn good defender.

13 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Mitrovic was such a bust the first time around but he was also like 21. I'm not convinced he'll be any good, and I'm even less convinced about Schurrle, but Mawson is a pretty damn good defender.

Mitrovic was the reason that Fulham got promoted last year with 12 goals after February 1, but The Championship (while fun and underrated) isn't the Premier League.

1 hour ago, 406W30th said:

Mitrovic’s biggest issue at Newcastle was the fact that he was a walking red card. Hopefully for Fulham he’s learned to control his emotions.

On 7/30/2018 at 12:31 PM, MoJames said:

So now Higuain is unhappy with the terms, so who knows where he will be going.

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/juve-milan-tutto-e-legato-a-higuain-la-ricostruzione-e-le-ultime

Gonzalo Higuain is not very happy with the formula and the terms of the transfer , which would involve a loan with a right of redemption.

At the moment, Leonardo is working to make him understand that this is only a formal matter (paying a sum for the loan between 18 and 20 million, Milan should then redeem it for the 36 million planned). The other node concerns the engagement , as the Argentine would like to earn more than the 7.5 million he takes to Juventus to accept the transfer to a team that does not play the Champions League. Milan is trying to convince him to accept a longer contract (4 years compared to 3 who still has Juventus), but proposing a lower salary.

Having taken Sime Vrsaljko from Atletico , Inter can now concentrate on the other market priority: the midfield. And the great dream of the Nerazzurri company is Luka Modric .Difficult operation, of course, but at this stage Inter wants to try it to the end.

There have already been some initial contacts with the agents of the Real Madrid midfielder, who would have opened some doors to this possibility. Also because at Inter, with the arrival of Vrsaljko, three Croats have become Inter players, considering the presence of Brozovic and Perisic.

With them Modric shared the World Cup experience and, just in the month lived in Russia, he spoke about this possibility with his team-mates.

This is the reason why Inter has not yet closed for Vidal , even knowing that there would be the possibility to take it from Bayern on fairly favorable terms: 18/19 million between loan and right of redemption.

Vidal is a champion, of course. But Luka Modric is certainly among the greatest midfielders in the world, not surprisingly the best player in the last World Cup in Russia. And as long as Inter can rock this dream, he will try all the way to give to Luciano Spalletti what would be a great blow for the midfield .

After having found some glimpse in the first contacts with the agents, in the next hours the Nerazzurri will try to see if there will be margins to carry on the negotiation concretely. If in the next few hours, or at most in a few days, he should understand that this is an impossible operation, then Inter will definitively close for Vidal. Otherwise, after CR7 at Juventus, it will be the Nerazzurri to try the big blow from Real Madrid.

Madrid getting rid of Ronaldo and Modric in the same window would be a disaster. Modric is getting older and this wouldn't be the worst time to sell, but Madrid would absolutely need to examine the squad and reinforce it. Kovacic hasn't proven that he's anywhere near Modric in terms of class, and Ceballos is very unproven.

Seems more and more likely that Madrid are just making this a throwaway season, which doesn't make too much sense considering how poor they were in the league and cup last season. 

I don’t see Madrid selling Modric, I just see Inter inquiring with Modric’s agent.

If Madrid isn’t buying a Galactico or even a stud Midfield, I cannot see Perez or Julen wanting to thin out the midfield of their metronome. Kroos is great but he’s not the calming twisting-turning artist that Modric is

I'm trying not to allow myself to hope that Max Meyer signs for Crystal Palace.  You talk about a huge get for them.  

A lot of squads in the middle of the table seem to have helped themselves immensely this window.  Could be a really exciting season outside of watching ManCity try to run away with the league yet again.

46 minutes ago, TxEx99 said:

I'm trying not to allow myself to hope that Max Meyer signs for Crystal Palace.  You talk about a huge get for them.  

A lot of squads in the middle of the table seem to have helped themselves immensely this window.  Could be a really exciting season outside of watching ManCity try to run away with the league yet again.

Meh, not sure Meyer is all that great. He’s a name people know because he broke through really early at Schalke. He’s never really progressed as people thought he would. He also had a bad attitude.

58 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Meh, not sure Meyer is all that great. He’s a name people know because he broke through really early at Schalke. He’s never really progressed as people thought he would. He also had a bad attitude.

Plus there's the whole he'll be managed by Uncle Woy thing.

Roy's a good club manager as evidenced by Palace's turnaround last season.  As for Meyer he can thread a pass which is what Palace needs so Zaha, Townsend and the rest can smash teams on the counter.  He's not a savior and will be overpaid but for the total invested for him he's the best player Crystal Palace could get to fill it's gaping midfielder hole.  He's also probably going to come in with a massive chip on his shoulder because all the teams he wanted to go to refused to pay him the money he thought he deserved.  He's got a lot to prove and a decent team to do it on.  Or at least that's my hope.

Interesting approach. I don't see it working, but if it does, fantastic job CFC.  Tbo wants Madrid for his family, but has said he wants to go with Eden (Eden hasn't said the same). It's also Daily Mail, but thought it was an interesting angle.

Oblak? (Spanish)

Chelsea are willing to go all out for Oblak before the imminent brand of Courtois to Real Madrid. As reported by the British newspaper 'Daily Mail', Chelsea wants to attach the Courtois substitute before letting it go. And that piece he is looking for is none other than the goalkeeper of Atlético de Madrid, Oblak.

As reported by the Daily Mail, Chelsea wants the Slovenian to be his new goalkeeper and is willing to pay the 100 million of his termination clause to Atlético de Madrid.

Chelsea have assumed that they will have to make a strong investment after the movements that have taken place in the goals. Chelsea already lost the Brazilian goalkeeper of the Rome, Alisson, who has gone to Liverpool and now does not want to repeat the story with Oblak.

14 hours ago, MoJames said:

Caldara and Higuain to AC Milan, lots of Juventus fans rather upset about it as they see the club selling the future for a trophy now with Ronaldo.

13 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Never heard a 31 year old Higuain referred to as the future. 

2) Gonzalo is only 30!

1) If they thought that they were going to win the Champions League with Gonzalo, then they didn't watch him while he was at Real Madrid or with Argentina in 2014, 2015, or 2016.

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

Drinkwater is yours for only half of what CFC bought him.

I'm sure there are other big money clubs that are more dysfunctional with their money but Chelsea seem amongst the worst.  Why on Earth any English player would ever sign for them, knowing you're there just to slot in as a home grown bench option, is beyond me.  I get it, money, but man have they churned through a ridiculous amount of players over the years.  Get out RLC while you can.

1 hour ago, TxEx99 said:

I'm sure there are other big money clubs that are more dysfunctional with their money but Chelsea seem amongst the worst.  Why on Earth any English player would ever sign for them, knowing you're there just to slot in as a home grown bench option, is beyond me.  I get it, money, but man have they churned through a ridiculous amount of players over the years.  Get out RLC while you can.

No joke.  I mean hell the list of English players that left Chelsea to go onto fantastic careers is staggering. They some how dumbed their way into keeping Lampard, Terry, Cole, Le Saux, Cahill, Moses.  And of those that managed to "get out" are just absolutely stacked like Bertrand, Bamford, McEachran, Van Aanholt with some younger guys who have yet to progress like Ake, Chalobah, Solanke.

So more or less the only players that have a chance at starting for Chelsea which "fill the home grown slot" are currently there with a good chance to contribute this season (Barkley, CHO, Tammy, Ampadu) or are retired/close to it.

And Drinkwater is simply a dumb purchase.

• Like 1

Drinkwater made no sense then.  It makes even less sense now and will basically stall his career unless he takes a massive paycut because no one is going to fork over a fee and huge wages for a middling cm, even if he is English and can help several teams fill their quota as well.