The Lethalist Weapon  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Lethal Weapon

• 1 - Gary Busey was the antagonist
    • 2 -Diplomatic immunity
    • 3 - bad guy had moustache
    • 4 - Jet Li

17 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

“When I was nineteen, I did a guy in Laos from a thousand yards out. A rifle shot in high wind. Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could’ve made that shot. It’s the only thing I was was ever good at. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

And yet there were a lot of scenes where he couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How did the general manage to sneak up on Riggs in the desert? And how, with Mr. Joshua having a huge head start, did they manage to get to Murtaugh’s house ahead of him and leave him a note? And why was it necessary to drive a police car through the wall? And where did Riggs get the gun that he used to shoot Mr. Joshua after their fight?

Still a classic but one that you sort of need to turn your brain off and not think too much about.

There are so many things in all that don’t make sense.  Like how about calling for back up?  In part 3, Riggs basically leaves Lorna in the burning house. 

the young black kid that recognized Riggs special forces tattoo?   

Murtaugh being on the can for 20 hours?   Had to have smelled awful

11 hours ago, Nivek said:

So I just googled it because I don’t recall that one. At least one of the Asian jokes was written by one of the Asian actors in the movie.

The director didn’t think there was a problem, and apologized for hurting people’s feelings. He also claimed that none of the Asian actors involved said anything.

I’ll bet they didn’t.  Asians generally play along and this was 20 years ago?

10 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

The Jet Li scenes were awesome in 4. The Chris Rock scenes were god-awful. The rest of the movie was them just going through the motions. 

Exactly. Hey was a bad ass.  Rocks shit was way too forced but the ghey thing was sort of funny

10 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I'm in the minority here but I think 1 is the best.   Riggs "devil may care"/suicide mission attitude does it for me.   

Go watch the scene where he gets the jumper down.   "Do you really want to jump?   Do you wanna?"   The look on Gibson's face and his tone are just insane. 

And fortunately they had a big Hollywood stunt man air bag for them to jump into. 

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

“You’re gonna fu-uck Dixie! You’re gonna fu-uck Dixie!”

KABOOM!!!

Still sounds like “fuck Dixie” to me. Maybe saying it was “bust Dixie” is revisionist history because “fuck Dixie” was politically incorrect. But Dixie was a prostitute living in the neighborhood. Riggs and Murtaugh were in plain clothes. What happened more often? Guys in street clothes coming to fuck the local prostitute or undercover cops coming out to bust her? How could the kids know they were undercover cops and why would they taunt them with jeers that they were going to bust her? If they thought they were Johns coming to fuck the neighborhood whore then it would make sense to taunt them that they were there to fuck Dixie. Identifying them as plainclothes cops there to bust her and taunting them about that makes no sense at all. 

29 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Still sounds like “fuck Dixie” to me. Maybe saying it was “bust Dixie” is revisionist history because “fuck Dixie” was politically incorrect. But Dixie was a prostitute living in the neighborhood. Riggs and Murtaugh were in plain clothes. What happened more often? Guys in street clothes coming to fuck the local prostitute or undercover cops coming out to bust her? How could the kids know they were undercover cops and why would they taunt them with jeers that they were going to bust her? If they thought they were Johns coming to fuck the neighborhood whore then it would make sense to taunt them that they were there to fuck Dixie. Identifying them as plainclothes cops there to bust her and taunting them about that makes no sense at all. 

God you are fucking stupid.  Riggs finishes putting the smiley face on the target, cut to the street with the kids.  First words in new scene "uh oh policemen are here"

They even say "Hello Policemen" and Murtaugh sticks his hands up.

Go be a shitty poster on a Buckeyes board.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

God you are fucking stupid.  Riggs finishes putting the smiley face on the target, cut to the street with the kids.  First words in new scene "uh oh policemen are here"

They even say "Hello Policemen" and Murtaugh sticks his hands up.

Go be a shitty poster on a Buckeyes board.

You probably also think Tony was killed in the final episode of The Sopranos. 

16 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I’ll bet they didn’t.  Asians generally play along and this was 20 years ago?

The director of the movie, who apologized and seemed genuinely surprised by the criticism, said that one line about "flied lice" uttered by Mel Gibson was written by one of the actors, I forgot which one in the article.  It named the specific joke and the actor.  

Why would you bet this was not true?  I mean the man apologized immediately after the backlash.   You seem like those who want everyone who doesn't pass your purity exam to suffer.   

13 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You may need to get your hearing checked as they clearly are saying "bust". 

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

The director of the movie, who apologized and seemed genuinely surprised by the criticism, said that one line about "flied lice" uttered by Mel Gibson was written by one of the actors, I forgot which one in the article.  It named the specific joke and the actor.  

Why would you bet this was not true?  I mean the man apologized immediately after the backlash.   You seem like those who want everyone who doesn't pass your purity exam to suffer.   

What?  No I mean the Asian cast probably didn’t raise an objection.  20 years ago those jokes were ok.  Hell it’s probably still ok to target Asians with jokes like that.   Idk what you’re talking about regarding the puritans but I’ll write it off as a communication lapse 

They looked like cops so thats why they said “bust”

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How did the kids know they were cops? Why would they shout that as a taunt?

‘Ha ha! You’re doing your job!’

Because the kids probably saw cops come to Dixie's house before. 

I mean you're really going out of your way to complicate a scene that's pretty straight forward.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4d412f6a-d524-4a4f-8461-5b7d8f69b3f9

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/39b056a9-0b15-48a2-9da8-c2f61f0650ca

Here's a transcript from the movie

Uh-oh! The policemen are here!

KlD 1 : Yeah, you're right. Hello, policemen!

RIGGS: Hi.

MURTAUGH: Hi.

MURTAUGH: How you doing? KlDS: Fine.

Are you going to bust Dixie?

We're just going over there for a cup of coffee.

MURTAUGH: We're going over here to have breakfast.

KlDS: You're gonna bust Dixie!

You're gonna bust Dixie!

-Like I said, thin. -Probably nothing.

https://movies.fandom.com/wiki/Lethal_Weapon/Transcript

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Because the kids probably saw cops come to Dixie's house before. 

I mean you're really going out of your way to complicate a scene that's pretty straight forward.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4d412f6a-d524-4a4f-8461-5b7d8f69b3f9

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/39b056a9-0b15-48a2-9da8-c2f61f0650ca

Here's a transcript from the movie

Uh-oh! The policemen are here!

KlD 1 : Yeah, you're right. Hello, policemen!

RIGGS: Hi.

MURTAUGH: Hi.

MURTAUGH: How you doing? KlDS: Fine.

Are you going to bust Dixie?

We're just going over there for a cup of coffee.

MURTAUGH: We're going over here to have breakfast.

KlDS: You're gonna bust Dixie!

You're gonna bust Dixie!

-Like I said, thin. -Probably nothing.

https://movies.fandom.com/wiki/Lethal_Weapon/Transcript

It’s too bad because “bust” makes it a worse movie. They’d already established that Riggs was unrecognizable as a cop when he was buying drugs from the dealers in the Christmas tree lot. And it makes no sense at all. 

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

What?  No I mean the Asian cast probably didn’t raise an objection.  20 years ago those jokes were ok.  Hell it’s probably still ok to target Asians with jokes like that.   Idk what you’re talking about regarding the puritans but I’ll write it off as a communication lapse 

Ah, gotcha.  I am sorry I misinterpreted your post completely.   I thought you were talking about how the Asians working in the industry were probably not willing to speak up then.  I really got it all wrong.   

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Ah, gotcha.  I am sorry I misinterpreted your post completely.   I thought you were talking about how the Asians working in the industry were probably not willing to speak up then.  I really got it all wrong.   

All good.  But idk though, Asians are a silent minority.  They have a saying that's "the tallest nail gets hammered."  Plus I think quite a few were just happy to have a role, hoping to be discovered.  It's admittedly pretty cringey at times, but that's the way it was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...