Y'all Gonna Watch the Fox Nation Patriot Awards Tonight? Sponsored by Golden Corral

S&A up near Anderson/Burnet, wife loved their salad and Hawaiian chicken with rice pilaf.  

Usually would hit up GC for breakfast only, do remember their fried chicken being sneaky good and those rolls…. Those.  Rolls. 

First date with my wife was at that Steak & Ale. She wanted Chili’s but I talked her up. Low bar, I know.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

First date with my wife was at that Steak & Ale. She wanted Chili’s but I talked her up. Low bar, I know.

Looking at their Wikipedia, apparently Bennigans tried to relaunch Steak & Ale in Mexico, but they haven't found any locations in the US.  Or probably haven't found anybody with money wanting to setup a franchise.

Which is surprising, because I keep seeing more and more restaurants around Austin having to vacate over rent increases, and then they just sit empty.  Shit, there's a Burger King over around 38th street (just west of the Randalls on Shoal Creek that closed) and close to Kerbey Lane, that closed and that spot would almost be about the right fit, and the neighborhood would probably keep it busy (you'd be surprised how many people live within 10-15 blocks of Kerbey Lane Cafe and don't realize it's there).

3 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Kerbey lane on kerbey lane closed?

Haven’t been there in ages so I guess I was part of the problem if so

No, sorry, mean the Burger King closed on 35th and Jefferson around the corner from there (as did Randalls).

Kerbey Lane Cafe seems to be doing okay, but it seems like a lot of people that live near there don't realize it's there.

32 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I’m surprised that Burger King lasted as long as it did

Kind of surprised Burger King period has lasted as long as it has. It doesn't really have some signature dish like McD's fries or egg McMuffin or JITB tacos or any real brand loyalty at all, really. Just seems like total inertia at this point.

Looking at their Wikipedia, apparently Bennigans tried to relaunch Steak & Ale in Mexico, but they haven't found any locations in the US.  Or probably haven't found anybody with money wanting to setup a franchise.
Which is surprising, because I keep seeing more and more restaurants around Austin having to vacate over rent increases, and then they just sit empty.  Shit, there's a Burger King over around 38th street (just west of the Randalls on Shoal Creek that closed) and close to Kerbey Lane, that closed and that spot would almost be about the right fit, and the neighborhood would probably keep it busy (you'd be surprised how many people live within 10-15 blocks of Kerbey Lane Cafe and don't realize it's there).

The old Frisco on Burnet would be ideal. It needs to have that 70s aesthetic though. Dark wood and brass, deep high walled booths with dim hazy lighting. Only a selection of Michelobs on tap.
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The old Frisco on Burnet would be ideal. It needs to have that 70s aesthetic though. Dark wood and brass, deep high walled booths with dim hazy lighting. Only a selection of Michelobs on tap.

And lots of ferns. Apparently they were a Boomer aphrodisiac.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Kind of a "Larry McGuire decided to reboot the Regal Beagle" vibe going on.  Dig it.

Bartender Jim & Bartender Mike will be handling the Craft Cocktail Program.  Thursday night is Lana's Night.

Edited by Lobo

On 11/19/2021 at 9:39 AM, Hmbre97 said:

I will add this: Pancho's is just as glorious as it's even been. I had to run to Arlington last month to Summit Racing and was delighted to see a Pancho's a couple miles down the road. Felt like going back in a time machine for me. Eveything was exactly as I remembered it since I last ate Pancho's 20+ years ago.

The one I remember going to in Arlington was close to Six Flags. Was that it? It’s been a lotta years ago.