MLS 2022

Captain Ron

Just now, Captain Ron said:

ESPN+ does have the Spanish feed. 

I just flipped it on (flying), good stuff from what I’m seeing. 

Yeah this has been a quality match. 

I may flip on the Spanish feed. I need to work on my Spanish - interact with a lot of ESL folks at my job. Want to get close to fluent. 

Orlando is doing a lot of whining and bitching for calls. Not gonna win a domestic cup that way. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Dang. Missed the end when my kiddo decided Netflix > daddy watching soccer. Oh well. Sacramento made a great run. Too bad they couldn’t close the deal. 

Having a kid trumps watching the end of that. OFC asserted themselves at the end and put 3 in. 

• 1 month later...

FC Dallas vs Minnesota 

FS1 . . . Starting shortly. (8:30pm?)

I think that these are all single elimination matchups. Gonzalo “Pipita” Higuaín was crying on the field because he had stated that he would be retiring at the end of the season. 

He will never blow another final in his career, but his run of blowing goal opportunities in international finals in three straight years will likely never be matched. 

2014 World Cup (vs Germany), 2015 Copa America (vs Chile), 2016 Copa America Centenario (vs Chile)

Jesus Christ. Is that the FS1 Studio? Or is that the Fox broom closet? They look like they are stuffed in that set.

18 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

what does GERGG see in Ferreira? His style of 9 is nothing like what we are trying to do at the international level.

I could be wrong, I don't watch Dallas at all, but isn't he more of a 10/second striker for these guys?

EDIT - the fact that he is the one taking corners tells you all you need to know.

Edited by Captain Ron

11 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Jesus Christ. Is that the FS1 Studio? Or is that the Fox broom closet? They look like they are stuffed in that set.

I could be wrong, I don't watch Dallas at all, but isn't he more of a 10/second striker for these guys?

EDIT - the fact that he is the one taking corners tells you all you need to know.

Yeah that’s what I mean. GERGG wants him as a target man but he’s a 4’10” poor man’s Zardes

A small note on that Wrexham vs MLS thing:

Decision Day in the MLS only saw 2 games broadcast nationally: RSL vs Portland on ESPN2 and Orlando City vs Columbus on FS1. Both of these games were the East and West 7 vs 8 matchups for the team that would make the playoffs. Their TV ratings were:

East FS1 - Orlando City vs Columbus - 54K viewers
West ESPN2 - RSL vs Portland - 103K viewers

ESPN2's first Wrexham game drew 89K viewers.

None of these numbers include streaming numbers.

But it really goes to the point that was made in post #169 above. Reynolds and McElhenny are telling a story with Wrexham and they have drawn genuine interest in the club, the players and the people in the city. That's huge. The MLS should have already seen this with Drive to Survive (F1) and realize it is an avenue to build interest in the league and clubs. 

WSJ podcast on Drive to Survive - Formula One Gets Fuel From Netflix

• 2 weeks later...

Clusterfuck City at Exposition Park tomorrow.  LAFC hosting MLS Cup at 1, SC hosting Cal at 7:30.  BUT, SC controls ALL of the parking around the coliseum, and have told MLS that NO soccer parking will be allowed.  So everyone going to the MLS game has to arrive by public transport or ride share.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Clusterfuck City at Exposition Park tomorrow.  LAFC hosting MLS Cup at 1, SC hosting Cal at 7:30.  BUT, SC controls ALL of the parking around the coliseum, and have told MLS that NO soccer parking will be allowed.  So everyone going to the MLS game has to arrive by public transport or ride share.  

I live near an Expo line stop so that's how I always get to games, but yeah, a pain in the ass for a lot of people.

3 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

I live near an Expo line stop so that's how I always get to games, but yeah, a pain in the ass for a lot of people.

And it's a great way for people to get there, but EVERYONE?  They also have a shuttle from Dodger Stadium, but that's a pretty long haul through super shitty traffic on the 110.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

to late to move it to sofi? would be dope

There was talk of it last week but I'm honestly glad they're keeping it at our home field. Would feel much more like a neutral venue if they'd moved it and I'd be really annoyed if I couldn't sit in our usual seats.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/4/2022 at 10:11 AM, Sbbruin said:

This kind of demonstrates the clown show the MLS is. Not having a dedicated championship location means they can’t command the area around the stadium. And they don’t have the size/pull of MLB or NBA to dictate terms on the roaming location.