Eanes ISD school board races in west Austin

JimmyJames

So I’ve been seeing a whole shitload of signs in the neighborhood for this election today. Since it’s inevitable it will turn political I’m posting this here.

So what do y’all think about it? Are Jim and Jay trump supporters in disguise? The only thing I really know about them is that the Jim guy’s campaign drives a trailer around with him in a cardboard cutout pointing up to the sky like he’s Jesus or something clogging up parking lots like at the HEB on 360, and Jay claims to be an Eanes grad in ads for his campaign when he’s not. 

Any consensus out there? 

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Jay claims to be an Eanes grad in ads for his campaign when he’s not. 

That's not what his campaign says:

Jay is a husband, father, leader and entrepreneur. He went to elementary and middle school in Eanes and graduated from St. Stephens where he was class president his freshman, sophomore years and school president his senior year. He graduated Cum Laude from Rice University while member of the 1995 Southwest Conference Co-Championship Football Team. Jay and Kelley are proud Eanes parents, with children at Westlake High School and Bridgepoint Elementary. 

https://www.jlamyforeanes.com/

It seems these two guys are just saying the same things as the two crazies two years ago that lost in much more subtle ways.  Good strategy.  Maybe I’m wrong.

That said, not thrilled with a >20 year incumbent on a school board no matter how well meaning.   

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

Jay Lamy's brother Joe was a RB at Westlake in the early 90s and went to, I think, Rice. That's all I've got. Hope it helps. 

There was definitely a Joe Lamy that played on the 1991 semi finals Westlake Team that lost to Consolidated my senior year (1991-1992). He would have been an underclass man that year.  I also thought he went to Rice and never did much football wise. 

Now that my mom sold her house in Eanes, IDGAF. 

6 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Yep.  He's got to be referencing the 1994-95 academic year.  That fall, Rice beat Texas and there were five co-championship teams, including Rice and Texas, all tied at 4-3, with aggy ineligible due to cheating.

That Rice game sucked. Rain. Sunday. Loss. 

Just awful.

• Hook 'Em 1

The West Lake Hills Mayor race is today too. Complete with late filings, challenges to qualifications and Texas Supreme Court Mandamus. Small town serious business. Full disclosure: Team Anthony.

Spoiler

West Lake Hills residents who want to vote for the city’s next mayor this spring will have to take a trip to City Hall and cast a standalone paper ballot. 

The city’s election this May is being held separately from other local municipal elections, such as the Eanes school board races, for the first time in years because of a legal back-and-forth over the mayor's race. 

In a normal year, most cities, school districts and other entities within Travis County pay the county to run their elections to save money. Smaller municipalities split the cost of the county’s election operation and voters cast one ballot to vote in all the races they are eligible for at one time. 

However, this year it was not clear if West Lake Hills would have any contested races until after the county ballots were programmed on March 14. Both City Council races in West Lake Hills this spring are uncontested and the mayor's race was tied up in court until March 18. 

Mayor Linda Anthony is running for reelection against challenger Jeff Taylor. After the deadline to submit candidate paperwork had passed, Taylor filed a formal challenge to Anthony’s candidacy on the grounds that the form was incomplete because she had left the “occupation” box blank.

Anthony is retired and said she did not have an occupation to include in the box. The city secretary agreed with Taylor’s challenge, though the paperwork had previously been accepted, and took Anthony out of the running to reclaim her seat, which would have left Taylor as the only candidate. 

Anthony took the issue to the Texas Supreme Court, which ruled in her favor and allowed her to formally enter the race. Before that decision came down, the city canceled its election with the county on March 11. By the time the Supreme Court ruled on March 18, the county ballots were already programmed.

West Lake Hills City Secretary Stephanie Mills said that Travis County officials are advising the city on how to operate a solo election. The city will be responsible for hiring and paying election judges and poll workers, and counting ballots, all tasks that are usually contracted out to the county.

Yeah I supported Linda.  Taylor is a weirdo and really showed no interest except in disqualifying Linda.

I blank slated the Eanes ISD election.  Sheffield and Balthazar have been non-entities, Withers is GQP and Lamy is weird as fuck to me.

In Richardson ISD (Lake Highlands, etc.) it looks like one of the two anti-CRT types were beaten back.  I thought both of the scaremongers would win so I'm feeling okay today.

"I've got to find a way to get through to these 6 year old kids and make them understand that if they are white they carry blood on their hands."

80474252.jpg

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, in other news, in the nawf Texas version, the  incumbents defeated their Trumpkin, anti-CRT opponents in the HPISD Board race.

The one that was more strident was defeated more soundly than the other.

Those two guys were absolute creeps. Beeson in particular lies at a Donald Trump level.