2022 Longhorns Countdown to kickoff

Longboard Horn

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Bud McFadin 

mcfadin_bud_021506_300.jpg

Good find Longboard.

I've always felt Bud McFadin is kind of an under appreciated  Horn.  He's in the NFL Hall of Hame,  All-American at UT.  

Great college and pro player. 

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Good find Longboard.

I've always felt Bud McFadin is kind of an under appreciated  Horn.  He's in the NFL Hall of Hame,  All-American at UT.  

Great college and pro player. 

Thanks Laga. I always try to make sure to post Bud every year. He's honestly the best #61 Texas has had(in my opinion).

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Jeff Leiding 

Jeff_Leiding.jpg

jeff+leiding+2.jpg

Sept 1, 1980; ABC Special Monday College Football, 8pm, #6 ARK @ #10 UT

Opening kickoff - Freshman Leiding flies down the field and launches himself head first into the returner, knocking returner out cold.

Leiding, under his own power jogs, slumped over, off the field.  He would miss the rest of the game and most of that season.

One of the most devastating hits I have ever witnessed; he led some of the fiercest defenses ever in Horn history 81-84.

Jeff was the football definition of Pipe Hitting Motherfucker.

Also, was weird going to first day of classes the next day.  Don't remember another time we played before semester started.

RIP and HOOK'EM

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Also, was weird going to first day of classes the next day.  Don't remember another time we played before semester started.

Yeah, back in the days when TV didn't dictate everything and the conference only cared when you scheduled SWC games, the Horns used to always open their season later than most teams. My freshman year (1985) we didn't play our first game until September 21st...

1 hour ago, SaucyJack said:

Opening kickoff - Freshman Leiding flies down the field and launches himself head first into the returner, knocking returner out cold.

Leiding, under his own power jogs, slumped over, off the field.  He would miss the rest of the game and most of that season.

One of the most devastating hits I have ever witnessed; he led some of the fiercest defenses ever in Horn history 81-84.

Jeff was the football definition of Pipe Hitting Motherfucker.

RIP and HOOK'EM

I was at this game also.  That hit definitely set the tone for the rest of the game.  I clearly heard the impact all the way on the other side of the field, and the sound the crowd made was like nothing I'd heard before, or since.  Initial ecstasy at seeing Leiding fly as he launched himself at the ball carrier, then the hit, but almost instantly changed as we weren't sure if we just watched somebody die.  The mood lifted upon seeing Leiding jog off the field, and the rest of the game was pretty dominant.  ABC had moved this game from the usual spot after the OU weekend because they wanted the Tex/Ark game to be the first televised college football game of the 80s.  It was a great start to what turned into an inexplicably crappy season.  RIP Jeff.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/5/2022 at 12:23 PM, SaucyJack said:

It always drives me crazy that there is no copy of this game or any clips from it on YouTube.

• Rage+1 1

I always love this thread. Makes the offseason and summer go by fast and takes me down memory lane of players I enjoy watching now and back then, players I had forgotten about and players I never knew about.

Huge shout out to @Longboard Horn for starting the thread and to @Tylerocks, @LTtxfan and everyone else contributing!

Edited by GhostofDanJones
I'll contribute if I can
  • Hook 'Em 2

So true GoDJ! Yesterday had Britt Hager. He was my “idol” back then! He was awesome in my eyes!

When I was in HS and BH was playing for the Horns, I was at the UIL State Track meet and sitting with my parents. He came up our aisle near the finish line and sat close by. I was able to briefly tell him how much I appreciated his play with the Horns. He was very cool, approachable, and nice to a teenager.

My Senior year, I wanted to grow a mustache like his, but my HC (and Dad) said NO.

Hook’em!

• Like 1