Questions about HS football

Our younger son is going to enter HS this fall.  He has played soccer forever, and also runs track.  He's currently taking a summer strength/speed camp at the high school, and the coaches are asking him to try out for the football team.

He has never played football beyond i9 flag leagues.  He knows none of the terminology, none of the skills, nada.  He's just quick.  How hard is it for a novice to pick up whatever nuance might be involved in freshman football?  My gut tells me it wouldn't be that hard to catch up, but I never played, so I don't really know.  Thoughts?

Similar but different thing happened to me.  Went to a small private school for 7th/8th (had only played organized baseball and soccer).  Joined HS in 9th and played basketball.  When the season was finished, the secondary coach grabbed me and told me that I was going to be his JV free safety.  Learned the position that Spring/Summer and started in the Fall.  I was only 5' 11" and 175 at the time, but ran a 4.7 40 meter.  Good luck to your son and tell him to keep his GD head up when hitting people!

Edited by AnonymousInternetPoster
40 meter

I get it, thanks.  Just wanted to make sure kids come in green from other sports with some chance of success.  He's a busy kid but reducing XBox opportunities further wouldn't suck.

I'm curious to see how he reacts to hitting and getting hit.  He's a pretty mellow dude.

11 hours ago, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

Similar but different thing happened to me.  Went to a small private school for 7th/8th (had only played organized baseball and soccer).  Joined HS in 9th and played basketball.  When the season was finished, the secondary coach grabbed me and told me that I was going to be his JV free safety.  Learned the position that Spring/Summer and started in the Fall.  I was only 5' 11" and 175 at the time, but ran a 4.7 40 meter.  Good luck to your son and tell him to keep his GD head up when hitting people!

40 meter dash?  You played football in Europe?

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm curious to see how he reacts to hitting and getting hit.  He's a pretty mellow dude.

This is the operative question.  He will either enjoy the aggression or decide within the first season (probably early) that it's not for him.  Nothing wrong with either answer. Good luck to him!!

Edited by orange dream

If the coaches didn't think he could pick it up and be an asset in their system they wouldn't be wasting their time on him.

Their motives are selfish in that they aren't just trying to stoke his ego, and they think he can help them.

If he wants to do it, why not?  

Edit - for a definitive answer you might want to send his measurable over to that nut-case Karen that stalks Jimbo.  She's a expert in her own mind.

Edited by Reagan1k

Well, the coaches arguably don't give a damn about him.  It's not like there are scholarship limitations at play.  

One of my son's biggest concerns is that he won't like it or won't be good at it and will not want to continue . . . and how that will reflect on him in other sports.

I'd like to believe plenty of kids try football and tell coaches "nah, that's not for me" without any repercussions, but coaches can be dicks.

Honestly, my bigger concern has nothing to do with his lack of experience, it's more about injury.  Regardless, I'm willing to let him try.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, the coaches arguably don't give a damn about him.  It's not like there are scholarship limitations at play.  

One of my son's biggest concerns is that he won't like it or won't be good at it and will not want to continue . . . and how that will reflect on him in other sports.

I'd like to believe plenty of kids try football and tell coaches "nah, that's not for me" without any repercussions, but coaches can be dicks.

Honestly, my bigger concern has nothing to do with his lack of experience, it's more about injury.  Regardless, I'm willing to let him try.

I would think if he already has a history of being nimble/quick that most of his concerns about injury should be alleviated with that fact. If he's cut and sprinted for short distances before then he knows his knees/joints can take it, that's pretty much most of the injury risk at that age. Depending on the level of play (huge school that plays other huge schools with big kids?) his injury risk could be higher, but I'm not sure that high school varsity football players are coming close to the concussion rates of NCAA or NFL players. Even less so for Defensive Backs I'd assume. Plenty of DB's in high school can get away with being athletic/quick/explosive and still start while clearly being scared to hit on the field.

Good information, thanks.  Yes, he's a sprinter (100m, 200m and long jump in particular) and has always been extremely quick for soccer.  No history of knee or ankle injury.

It's his decision, I just told him not to rush into it.  This camp runs until August.  Ultimately, it won't hurt him to get grown up a bit (two-a-days).

If he doesn’t want to play, then don’t let the coaches talk him into it. It’s a heck of a game, but it’s definitely rough. I suffered a head and back injury while playing it and the back injury eventually was too much to deal with. However I would do it all over again if I had the opportunity. Football is one of my fondest childhood memories.

Similar to your son, the defensive back coach also was the baseball coach and consistently harassed me to try my hand in baseball. Year after year I always declined, but I always spent at least $20 on the dunking booth if he was in it.. Nothing was ever held against me.

If he plays, just make sure he learns how to play safely (e.g not tackling either he crown of the helmet).

He agreed to wait until the end of this summer camp before making a decision.  To his credit, he said he was concerned about overloading his schedule, and then said something about switching from regular History to AP History (trust me, this kid is not a motivated academic), so I'm glad to see he's developing a better big picture.  This may just fall by the wayside.

I appreciate all the input.

I think a lot of it depends on his personality. If he is an alpha then it shouldn't be too bad for him. I would say playing with all the gear on and dealing with the coaches will be the 2 biggest hurdles.

With his soccer background he should try out for kicker. He will feel more comfortable with less chance of injury.

Definitely NOT an alpha, and while his shot is getting better in soccer, he is far more effective on defense (left/right fullback) and as a wing in the open field.  Good with the ball on his feet but not the most adept shotmaker.  Extremely quick and very focused with great stamina, but there are holes in his game.

To be fair, when I say he is not an alpha I am speaking socially.  He does take initiative on the field.  Right now he's liking the camp and even the weight training so it's all good.