22-23 Fantasy League

Baboontyme

IMG_3649.thumb.jpeg.7782e956813dcb4968f07844f4d6749d.jpeg

draft time is currently set for this sunset at 7:30 cdt.

and yeah, i've pretty much exhausted my options for extra people who may want to join, so i'd love it if one or two of our former players could come back, or if we could at least find some new shaggy blood. let's go on the hunt for the next day or so, but if we can't get two more then we'll have to just stick with the 8 and get the draft order done so people have time to prepare.

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

We need people from Surly that have played in the past to re up.

@BigOrange1

@RexWilson

Come the fuck on let's get a league going. @Baboontyme will cover your hundo if you donate $1 to his Hawaii charity. 

sorry i can't do it this year.  my wife is extremely pregnant and could go into labor at any point between now and tuesday (when she's scheduled to go in and be induced) so i can't commit to anything over the next few days.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

I have never played fantasy NBA before, but I joined my coworkers league this week. I'm still not exactly sure how it works, but I plan to read up on it tonight. If you guys need one more to fill, I can join if you like. I have League Pass and will keep up with things this year. 

i'd love to have you. you definitely know your stuff as far as the nba goes, so really it's just learning the ins and outs of fantasy. if you want to play then you would make it nine teams, and i feel pretty confident that we can find a 10th if that's the case. so count yourself in! 🤘🏼 

if we can't find a 10th member from shaggy then i'll get one of my homeboys to join. that said lets try and find one more from shaggy, and i'll get my mom to KO the draft order asap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i'd love to have you. you definitely know your stuff as far as the nba goes, so really it's just learning the ins and outs of fantasy. if you want to play then you would make it nine teams, and i feel pretty confident that we can find a 10th if that's the case. so count yourself in! 🤘🏼 

if we can't find a 10th member from shaggy then i'll get one of my homeboys to join. that said lets try and find one more from shaggy, and i'll get my mom to KO the draft order asap. 

Alright cool, how do I join? PM Derka?

On 10/13/2023 at 10:35 AM, ztejas said:

Hey guys - we need to get this thing going. I am fine with running things this season. I'm pming Derka and he is down along with 2 of his buddies who don't post.

People who are in/assuming they are in:

ztejas

Derka

Derka friend 1

Derka friend 2

@Capn81

@BallamaticBevo

Need a yes from:

@Baboontyme

@RexWilson

@BigOrange1

That's 8 I'm fairly confident that we have and 9 if @BigOrange1 wants back in (think he took last year off?). Please help me out with who I'm missing.

I am NOT playing with 8 again. If we can only get 8 I am okay to draft and keep the league/keepers alive but I'm not buying in to an 8 person league. We need 10.

Season tips on the 24th. Can we find a time to draft next weekend?

Also - if any Surly posters reading are interested in joining just post here with an "interested" or whatever. I'm fine with having 10-12 teams just want at least 10.

ztejas

derka

durdy

timmy

capn

ballamatic

baboon

baboon jr

rex

dutch

that's 10. i wish we had more time to find two more, but the draft is sunday, so i'm going to have mom knock out the draft order post haste. hold tight.

Edited by shadow_operative

draft order is done, and after countless years of my mom doing the draft order for this league and the shaggy baseball league, it's finally happened. i finally got the first pick lol. video incoming.

10- @Dutchrudder

9- @RexWilson

8- @Capn81

7- Timmy

6- @Baboontyme

5- Baboon Jr

4- @BallamaticBevo

3- Durdy

2- @ztejas

1- @shadow_operative

draft is sunday night at 7:30 cdt, good luck everybody!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

you can keep between 0-2 players from your team, so long as they were drafted after the second round. picks from the top two rounds are off limits. you can hold onto your keepers as long as you want, you just have to draft them one round earlier each year. there was some discussion last season about altering this rule, but i'm not sure we'll have time to hash that out with a majority vote in the next couple of days. we'll see. 

@RexWilson i believe it was you who set up the draft with all of the keepers in their place, is that correct?

team derka is keeping walker kessler and chet holmgren.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

@RexWilson i believe it was you who set up the draft with all of the keepers in their place, is that correct?

team derka is keeping walker kessler and chet holmgren.

Yes last year I figured it out somewhere where I could edit each teams keepers and I think their round before the draft.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Got it. My bad. So then no keepers for the two new teams correct?

hmm, never dealt with this before. i would be fine with finding a way to generate some keepers for these two teams if it makes sense and the league doesn't disagree. seems fair to me. maybe we say they can keep any two players ranked outside the top 55-60 players or something? i don't know, just spitballing here. 

Alrighty, I updated my team to be Ants Having a Good Time, and I'm dedicating my season to the one and only Dirtbike! I figured a Surly league deserves Surly references for teams. I also created a logo of an ant having a birthday party with an AI image gen, which actually came out pretty awesome!  Check this out:
_bd80ce35-f6d2-48e8-bb52-2ff136e9daeb.thumb.jpg.eccfebebdbd5ce56f7bb2ba06efb2ac4.jpg

Jimmy/Dirtbike thread for reference:

I still don't understand how the scoring works for this league. Is there a quick breakdown of how how much each stat is worth? The Scoring tab in the league doesn't explain it, because it doesn't have point values assigned to the categories. I saw some standard point values in other guides, but this league doesn't have it displayed. Maybe those values haven't been set yet?

Having a few keepers to start would be nice, and I'm happy to choose 1-2 of the lesser guys that may be useful to snag with later picks. I did some mock drafts on yahoo, and people were picking all over the place. It seems this sport has much less groupthink than Fantasy Football, which should be a lot more fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Alrighty, I updated my team to be Ants Having a Good Time, and I'm dedicating my season to the one and only Dirtbike! I figured a Surly league deserves Surly references for teams. I also created a logo of an ant having a birthday party with an AI image gen, which actually came out pretty awesome!  Check this out:
_bd80ce35-f6d2-48e8-bb52-2ff136e9daeb.thumb.jpg.eccfebebdbd5ce56f7bb2ba06efb2ac4.jpg

Jimmy/Dirtbike thread for reference:

I still don't understand how the scoring works for this league. Is there a quick breakdown of how how much each stat is worth? The Scoring tab in the league doesn't explain it, because it doesn't have point values assigned to the categories. I saw some standard point values in other guides, but this league doesn't have it displayed. Maybe those values haven't been set yet?

Having a few keepers to start would be nice, and I'm happy to choose 1-2 of the lesser guys that may be useful to snag with later picks. I did some mock drafts on yahoo, and people were picking all over the place. It seems this sport has much less groupthink than Fantasy Football, which should be a lot more fun. 

each week you have a 6x6 stat category matchup with an opponent. stat categories are FG%, FTM, 3PM, OReb, DReb, AST, STL, BLK, TO, DD, TD, and PTS. each week you'll match up with your opponent my and try to win as many categories as possible. 

and yeah, i'm sure that by the end of today we'll figure out a way to get you guys some keepers. none of those players in the screenshots a i've are even in the top 10 preseason rankings for their position, so it seems pretty fair to let yall choose one or two of those guys to start off with. 

Oh ok then, so totaling all the stats for each category, then giving a point for each category you win.  12 stat types in all, so there could be a situation where both teams have 6 each, right?  Is there a tiebreaker?

Having Triple Doubles as a category is just unfair with Jokic... lol  

If you are going by totals each week, does that mean the roster locks at some point? Or do you have to continually swap guys through the week to get max games played, and ensure the roster spot plays 6-7 games a week for max total stats?

If you guys do keepers for new guys, we should probably submit our picks via DM, in case there is overlap. Or you can pull names out of the sorting hat for a 1-2 snake draft, and we can post it here. Just let us know what round of picks we would have to give up for whoever is eligible and it should be easy. I know who I would target in there :D 

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

hmm, never dealt with this before. i would be fine with finding a way to generate some keepers for these two teams if it makes sense and the league doesn't disagree. seems fair to me. maybe we say they can keep any two players ranked outside the top 55-60 players or something? i don't know, just spitballing here. 

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_3744.thumb.jpeg.3c3cb604f511cff9092576c18d12e9e3.jpegIMG_3745.thumb.jpeg.5261cd9ce9f3cbcc4367a59af283a37e.jpeg

does that seem fair?

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

maybe we say the two new teams can either keep two players from different ranking tiers (so one player ranked in the 60's and ine ranked in the 70's), or they can take any two players they want at different positions, regardless of rankings? again, totally spitballing.

But then what round would they keep them in? It's going to be unnecessarily complicated no matter what. My first year I just drafted an entire new team because I had shit for keepers. I'm not sure why we need to help give new players an advantage in a league that rewards year over year planning and actually playing ever year. 

We also have two days to figure this out. We're still waiting on everyone's else's keepers. 

I'm fine with them not having a keeper. My kid won't know the difference. As long as Dutch is fine with it. I agree it might get a little complicated trying to figure out a way to get them keepers.

Link to last year's draft results.

https://fantasy.espn.com/basketball/league/draftrecap?seasonId=2023&leagueId=113346

Yeah that's fine if it's too much work to figure out. I'm probably going to draft players I like more than worrying about Fantasy strategy. Was hoping to get Jabari for an 7/8th, but I'll probably have the opportunity to draft him anyway. No worries, I'll be on for the draft Sunday night.

Do y'all do anything for the draft? Maybe a Discord live chat or something? 

28 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

The system won’t let me designate the keeper round until it locks one hour before the draft. As long as you mark your keepers on the espn website, I will deal with adjusting the rounds before draft starts. 

once we get @Baboontyme jr locked i can go set the draft order and it might be available then. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

do we have a way to view last years draft so that we can confirm which round our keepers were drafted in?

I linked it two posts up from yours. 

I'll work with him tonight on setting everything up. I got him to download the app last night but he will have to create an account etc. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I linked it two posts up from yours. 

I'll work with him tonight on setting everything up. I got him to download the app last night but he will have to create an account etc. 

ah, didn't see that. thank you.

and i sent the email, i just need for him to accept the invite. 👌🏼 

Edited by shadow_operative