Political Cartoons - The Politics Thread.

ROFL BOX

13 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

What do you not like about his work? 

That it's basically hot garbage peddling conspiracy theories without a shred of the underlying truths that make real political cartoons - on both sides - prescient and/or amusing.  

It's a constant shrieking dog whistle of crap wielded with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.  

Aside from that, I suppose he can draw ok.  

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

That it's basically hot garbage peddling conspiracy theories without a shred of the underlying truths that make real political cartoons - on both sides - prescient and/or amusing.  

It's a constant shrieking dog whistle of crap wielded with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.  

Aside from that, I suppose he can draw ok.  

So pretty much the current political climate. Sounds like he's spot on to me. 

16 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

It's always so complicated (imagery) and busy. The best political cartoons are simple and direct, regardless of the subject matter. I also don't like his drawing style. He's not witty, he's like blunt force trauma to the head.  He's subtle like a Mack truck.

I've always loved Gary Trudeau (regardless of who he's lampooning), and while his stuff is multi paned story lines you can often grab single panels, and they have a composition and wittiness that makes a point almost visually at times.

• Like 2

Just now, Fozzz said:

Garrison amuses me, particularly with regard to the amount of detail he crams into each cartoon.  As an outsider, you could learn so much about current right-wing mythos by just looking at a couple of them.  

This is essentially his greatest failure.  His inability to focus on any one issue leads him to just cobble a bunch of right wing boogey-men together into some sort of meaningless soup of generalized angst, signifying...nothing really.  

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So he's just echoing right-wing tropes?  What is the value of that?  Humor?  Political insight?  It isn't there. 

Don't think it's limited to right-wing tropes. We just heard about rogue assassins somehow getting into consulate to kill a journalist. 

3 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Other than it echoing most contemporary Kremlin talking points and conspiracy theories?

He’s great.

Seriously, he’s gotten so obvious you can just look at his most recent cartoon to see what the Russians are currently peddling. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Other than it echoing most contemporary Kremlin talking points and conspiracy theories?

He’s great.

Seriously, he’s gotten so obvious you can just look at his most recent cartoon to see what the Russians are currently peddling. 

DpCNEaxU4AAosj6.jpg:large