2023 Longhorns Football Offseason News and Notes

LTtxfan

IT practice notes from media viewing

Spoiler

- Maalik Murphy held out of some drills.

- Jon Brooks and Keilan Robinson both dnp.

- Ewers and Manning took reps as 1 & 2.

- Hayden Connor appears to be back-up center even though he worked first team guard.

- Vernon Broughton got some work quasi-outside, similar to Ojomo last year.

- Neto Umeozulu is back-up left guard. Malik Agbo back-up at right guard.

- Connor Stroh is third team right guard. May push Agbo.

- Connor Robertson and Cole Hutson both at practice but non-contact.

- Like the early looks of Payton Kirkland.

- Sydir Mitchell still getting into shape.

- AD Mitchell is behind Casey Cain. For now.

- DeAndre Moore behind Jordan Whittington. Johntay Cook behind Xavier Worthy.

- First two on the practice field today at 7:25am?

Worthy and Whittington. Next? Bert Auburn.

- Really like Ced Baxter and Savion Red at RB. Love Mo Blackwell in coverage.

- Saw the least of the DL. Too far away.

- Secondary is talented. Jalen Catalon and Gavin Holmes make the group MUCH more talented. True depth right now. Austin Jordan and Terrance Brooks appear ready to play more, too.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Bledsoe working out with the inside guys is interesting. Last year Bo and PK disagreed about where they should play him. PK thinks he could be a mister EDGE while Bo sees him as a disrupter in the middle as he continues to grow and put on weight. He started out going back and forth in fall camp but eventually was “moved” inside as season went on because he “got along better” with Bo and the inside room. I use quotation marks because that’s what I was told but they didn’t go into much detail about the getting along better comment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Neto and Connor is going to be the true battle this spring. If Neto knows/learns the playbook well it will be tough to for Connor to hold on to that spot. 

Guessing that they are just leaving Cam Williams as the back up at RT?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Guessing that they are just leaving Cam Williams as the back up at RT?

As of now Cam has been told he is all tackle. Neto and Campbell are going to get as much run as they can at guard this spring so that limits moving Jones to guard and Cam to first team to see how it looks. The message to Cam has been consistent tho. You’re a NFL RT and as long as you show some patience that spot is yours in the future. 

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Mr Manager Arrested Development GIF - Mr Manager Arrested Development -  Discover & Share GIFs

Monster 😂 

Spell check did not help me out on that one. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

As of now Cam has been told he is all tackle. Neto and Campbell are going to get as much run as they can at guard this spring so that limits moving Jones to guard and Cam to first team to see how it looks. The message to Cam has been consistent tho. You’re a NFL RT and as long as you show some patience that spot is yours in the future. 

Hope they get a chance to get him into  games a little more this fall.  Of course, that entails being ahead, so of course.  😉

Just odd that we are in like month 15 or 16 of Murphy recovering from the high school ankle injury. It held him out of spring ball last year and a lot of the summer/fall camp, then we didn't hear about it and it was the scooter accident that prevented him from being available the first half of the season.

At some point this dude is going to need available to participate in scrimmages/spring game/etc. We still haven't seen him throw a pass in any type of scrimmage or live setting.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just odd that we are in like month 15 or 16 of Murphy recovering from the high school ankle injury. It held him out of spring ball last year and a lot of the summer/fall camp, then we didn't hear about it and it was the scooter accident that prevented him from being available the first half of the season.

At some point this dude is going to need available to participate in scrimmages/spring game/etc. We still haven't seen him throw a pass in any type of scrimmage or live setting.

Ankle injuries can be bad - like career ending bad. But, I don't know anything about his injury.

54 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Bledsoe working out with the inside guys is interesting. Last year Bo and PK disagreed about where they should play him. PK thinks he could be a mister EDGE while Bo sees him as a disrupter in the middle as he continues to grow and put on weight. He started out going back and forth in fall camp but eventually was “moved” inside as season went on because he “got along better” with Bo and the inside room. I use quotation marks because that’s what I was told but they didn’t go into much detail about the getting along better comment. 

I think both maybe right here. Just from my quick viewing of Bledsoe, he is one of the best athletes on the DL. He is a guy that can move around, especially if he puts on the weight. His greatest upside (NFL) is as an interior disrupter, but he also has the athleticism to play on the edge (especially in college). I am just hoping to see a lot more him this season (Tapp also, for the same reasons)

• Like 1