2023 Longhorns Football Offseason News and Notes

LTtxfan

On 2/8/2023 at 7:47 AM, NoName said:

he's listed as 5'10" and 209 on the Texas Roster and he played WR last year.

he is not a between-the-tackles RB.

He had a 1400 yd season at RB in HS.  Guys this size can run between the tackles, though I agree with you on short yardage.  I think that is Baxter by default.

Brooks isn't going to be a workman between the tackles. He can run there, but he's had shoulder issues, so they're not going into next year expecting him to be carrying 80% of the running game or anything. 

Blue will be a miracle if he makes it to the season and actually performs well enough to justify carries. He's simply not a between the tackles guy.

They don't want to be dependent upon Baxter being ready to be the lead guy. It isn't fair to enter the season putting that expectation on him. They do expect him to play and be a potential difference maker early, for flashes.

The Red stuff looks like standard Nahlin/IT wishcasting. It's been a throwaway thing that someone on or near the staff tossed out to some folks.

They want a bigger back that can run between the tackles and take the beating. Want to be a portal savant for us on this board? Find the guy that's 5-9 to 6-1 and weighs 220-240 and gained 400-500 yards in big college football or had bigger numbers in one of the other levels. That guy will get a small but competitive NIL opportunity if he heads to Texas. 

You can pay my $9.95 by instead subscribing to Texas One Fund and/or Burnt Endz for that total instead. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Find the guy that's 5-9 to 6-1 and weighs 220-240 and gained 400-500 yards in big college football or had bigger numbers in one of the other levels.

Keyvonne Lee, Penn State kid. 6-0 / 225. Didn’t do anything last year but rushed for 530 yds on 108 attempts in 2021 and 438 yards on 89 attempts in 2020

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

According to on3 yes he’s in the portal and he’s supposedly available 

He's actually pretty good and would be perfect. He got hurt against Auburn and lost almost all of his reps to their standout freshmen. If he's willing to be a role player, hell, maybe they're already talking to him. 

2 hours ago, cochamps said:

He had a 1400 yd season at RB in HS.  Guys this size can run between the tackles, though I agree with you on short yardage.  I think that is Baxter by default.

idk specifically what his breakdown snap wise was but he also had 138 passing attempts and before his senior year he had 0 passing attempts and 25 total rushing attempts.

either way, i don't think that he was running between the tackles a ton and the guy that he was compared to (Debo) doesn't run between the tackles either.

can he do it? maybe.

but if he is on the field on a 4th an 1 vs OU with the conference championship on the line i am worried.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

run between the tackles and take the beating. Want to be a portal savant for us on this board? Find the guy that's 5-9 to 6-1 and weighs 220-240 and gained 400-500 yards in big college football or had bigger numbers in one of the other levels. That guy will get a small but competitive NIL opportunity if he heads to Texas. 

You can pay my $9.95 by instead subscribing to Texas One Fund and/or Burnt Endz for that total instead. 

here are links to help if anyone wants to poke around

247: https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/TransferPortal/?positiongroupkey=2&status=uncommitted

on3: https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/top/football/2023/?status=best-available&position=rb

i poked around in the uncommited RBs list from the portal and let me tell you...there is a LOT of shit there. a LOT.

i think there are literally 2 guys in the portal who come close to making your list - Keyvone Lee from PSU (438 in 2020, 530 in 2021, 6' and 225 and this guy named Kye Robichaux is (6', 215) who rushed for 496 yards at WKU in 2022 - (https://wkusports.com/sports/football/roster/kye-robichaux/4331 and https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4880638/kye-robichaux) who i THINK is committed to Boston College based on his twitter but no updates anywhere else?

the Lee guy is not listed in the portal anymore on the 247 list. he is listed as having joined it on his player page but isn't listed on the portal RBs page or in the overall portal list page for the date his player page shows he entered it @ 247. he shows as in it on On3 though, so who knows. he checks your boxes.

in what is not great news, Lee's last 3 follows are a MLB The Show streamer who went to PSU, Jeff Lebby and Brett Venables. if you go back a little further Tashard Choice is his 10th most recent follow around the Ole Miss Dir of Recruiting Strategy and some other randos.

there really isn't much dude wise in the portal that meets your height and weight list in the first place.

---

my biggest find is there is someone named Cookie Desiderio who is from New Jersey and ended up at Tusla by way of what i think is a prep school or maybe IMG? he came mid semester to Tusla in 2022 and now is in the portal.

this is what he looks like, which made me laugh.

...have you ever seen an airbrushed headshot on a football roster before? because after you click this you can.

Spoiler

Desiderio_Cookie_22_4w.jpg&width=180&hei

Hey Stewart, who finishes the highest-ranked at the end of next year: USC, Texas or Penn State? Also, who has the worst record, Florida, Colorado or Auburn? — Robert A.

I don’t know how you came up with these particular trios, but it’s a fun question nonetheless.

This is going to sound strange, but while USC has a better chance of winning its conference than Penn State, the latter may be more likely to finish with a better record. If QB Drew Allar is remotely close to the hype and the Nittany Lions’ defense is as strong as I think it will be, there are only two teams on Penn State’s schedule it might lose to — Ohio State and Michigan. Losing to those two again would likely prevent James Franklin’s team from getting to Indianapolis and/or the College Football Playoff, but win the rest plus a bowl and the Nittany Lions are going to finish with a high ranking.

With USC, the Trojans don’t have to face two of last season’s Playoff teams like Penn State does, but the list of opponents that could beat them if they don’t play well is considerably longer — Notre Dame, Utah, Washington, Oregon and UCLA, at least. A team with Caleb Williams is still going to win the majority of those. It could lose two of them, just like Penn State, and still reach its conference title game. But the potential for tripping up one too many times and finishing outside the top 10 seems greater than it does for Penn State.

Texas does not enter this conversation for me.

✍️

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/9/2023 at 1:10 PM, closetojumping said:

Want to be a portal savant for us on this board? Find the guy that's 5-9 to 6-1 and weighs 220-240 and gained 400-500 yards in big college football or had bigger numbers in one of the other levels. That guy will get a small but competitive NIL opportunity if he heads to Texas. 

Ok, I’m only 5’9” and 155 now, but I can gorge myself in time for the spring game to get to 225. Given my 900 yards in a season at another level, i.e. 8 year old D league Pop Warner football, it appears I check all the boxes. Where do I pick up my check?

22 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

2023 gonna be a crazy season...

22 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The perpetually underachieving Texas that beat your ass 54 of 72 times?  Okay, sand aggy.

And yes we did not want cougar high after their bleachergate stunt.  You can have them.

A few team notes from IT

Spoiler

**Former Georgia wide receiver and newest Texas enrollee AD Mitchell is the man, according to those close to the program. He’s a completely different dude than former transfers Agiye Hall and Jahleel Billingsley. He acts like he’s been there before and is quickly earning the respect of his teammates. The quarterbacks in particular are excited about him. 

**Also new in the receivers room is coach Chris Jackson. Jackson has already been called a “home run. The team needed this.” Jackson has the attention of the receivers in Austin and that’s beginning to turn into attention from recruits. 

***Q: Quinn Ewers chopped his mullet and lost weight, what’s he doing differently that we can’t pick up on Instagram?
A: “He’s taking on a bigger leadership role. He wants to be more vocal and to do that he has to do the right things to be taken seriously.”

***Q: Is Savion Red cool with the move to running back?
A: “He likes it. He thinks he’ll play more in this spot. Johntay Cook and DeAndre Moore were likely going to take some of his reps this spring.” 

It’s important to note the coaches are high on Red as a player. This wasn’t just a move to create space at receiver.

***Q: When does install begin?
A: “Very soon. The Red move to running back was one of the last steps before the staff starts installing 2023 offense and defense.” 

***Q: Latest injury updates?
A: “Cole Hutson is coming along. Still a ways to go, but he’s already feeling better. Connor Robertson is the same in that the hardest part is over and he’s up from here. Isaiah Neyor wants to compete this spring, but the UT staff is being cautious and not rushing him. Jaylon Guilbeau, expect him back this summer. They’re not rushing him either.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 6:37 PM, LTtxfan said:

Wow, whoever runs this account is quite the petulant titty-baby. Fat, bitter and childish is no way to go through life, son, and the pretend tough-guy routine doesn’t actually get you anywhere - especially when it reads more like the rantings of a spurned ex-girlfriend. (Not sure if fat, but the quote is the quote.)

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Haha 1

Thx to @satyanash 

Eric Nahlin: Texas needs to hit on these evaluations for a fast start in the SEC

We’re not putting the cart ahead of the season, but evaluation never stops, even after a recruit signs and arrives on campus. The roster is in a constant state of assessment for strengths and weaknesses. Texas is guaranteed to lose some quality players after this next season. Therefore, younger players will need to show the ability to help the program reload at a position, not rebuild.

Making matters more crucial, this will be Texas’ last season in the Big 12 before joining the SEC. Simply put, it takes a deeper, more talented roster than what Texas has had in the past to compete in the game’s top conference. Fortunately, the pieces to not only compete but thrive are pretty much everywhere, assuming the coaches made good evaluations and the players develop.

Given the current roster, here are players the staff needs to hit on ahead of Season 1 in the SEC.

iDL Aaron Bryant: Texas’ enviable rotation of interior defensive linemen will thin further right as the program needs the sort of depth and quality we saw this past season. Between this offseason and next, Texas will have lost Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo, T’Vondre Sweat, and (possibly) Alfred Collins. As of now it doesn’t appear there are four guys close to replacement value. Texas needs positive signs from redshirt freshman Aaron Bryant. They should also motivate him to change numbers because No. 53 does not appeal to numbers science.

CB Malik Muhammad: He’s on the list mainly due to his long-term importance to the program. Thankfully he’s one of the safer evaluations you’ll find, though it’s up to the staff to ensure he develops into a top flight field corner. Muhammad should make that job easy, but you just never know. So far so good on early returns. Hopefully he plays enough this season to where the experience has real value.

WR Johntay Cook also tucks in here. Texas has to hit on that evaluation but it’s hard to be too concerned about it because he’s wired to compete and succeed.

iDL Sydir Mitchell: Mitchell is one of the most important players in the entire program. He’s a genuine “Georgia” interior lineman and Texas won’t have enough of those, at least that are developed, by the time 2024 rolls around. Fortunately he’s already on campus. Hopefully he can earn 20 snaps a game this season before taking on a bigger role in 2024.

LB Liona Lefau: New Inside Texas contributor Jake Langi knows the true freshman very well after helping Texas recruit Lefau and his family. What Jake says will hold more water than what I say, but until last Thursday me and Jake never talked about Lefau. Meaning, there are multiple sources high on Lefau’s do-it-all ability. If you can do it all at linebacker, you’re going to end up at Mike in this scheme. In order of likelihood, the three most likely to replace Jaylan Ford are Lefau, S’Maje Burrell, and maybe Anthony Hill.

S Derek Williams: I think it’s likely Williams will play both safety positions in his career at Texas. Many safeties arrive with the look of a boundary or field safety, but not the Raptor. There is no clear successor to Jerrin Thompson at field and if Jalen Catalon has a healthy year, he’ll probably depart as well. Unfortunately Williams didn’t enroll early. Trial by fire might be his best bet for rapid development.

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. Here are two examples:

Edge Jaray Bledsoe: People were pretty much unanimous in believing Bledsoe would end up moving inside relatively early in his career. While iDL is a genuine program need, the greater need at the moment is edge pass rushing. We don’t expect him to pass Barryn Sorrell, but we do expect to see more rotation at the position than last year.

DB Jaylon Guilbeau: The Texas staff ran hot and cold on this recruitment after inheriting his commitment. Guilbeau even de-committed and gave a verbal to TCU before re-thinking things. Given what we know about UT’s preferences in the secondary, it’s a bit odd he wasn’t prioritized more consistently, but they were working on numerous targets throughout the cycle. Here’s the beauty of it, few guys jump out as a Star-first player. Usually it’s corner or safety with the ability to spin to Star/nickel. But Guilbeau always looked like a nickel and now he’s in the perfect scheme to flourish. He’ll play a lot this year before owning the position for the rest of his time in Austin.

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT reporting that there’s a decent chance Juan Davis gets a look at BUCK in spring practice. Also mentioned there’s a chance DJ Campbell misses some time this spring.

I mean yeah, I'm for it. Does Taafe have any brothers that can rush the passer.? We're there. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Mandel has a big f***ing problem with Texas. Shits on Texas and Sark at every opportunity on The Audible. I guess he blames us for blowing up the PAC 12? Not sure what we did to him, but yeah it's approaching crazy stalker level territory. 

Didn't Mandel predict a terrible losing 2022 season record for Texas ??  

2 hours ago, Leanderman said:

"Didn't Mandel predict a terrible losing 2022 season record for Texas ??  "

Howie Mandel knows more about football than this clown.

A man who earns a living juggling lizards at birthday parties is no herpetologist. Football writer’s job is not football.

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Mandel has a big f***ing problem with Texas. Shits on Texas and Sark at every opportunity on The Audible. I guess he blames us for blowing up the PAC 12? Not sure what we did to him, but yeah it's approaching crazy stalker level territory. 

How you listen to that podcast is beyond me. I like Feldman ok, but neither of them have any on air personality, the production quality is awful (background noise galore), and half the time Feldman sounds like he’s packing up to run to the airport. Staples is the only CF podcast I’ve been able to regularly stomach. 

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock

29 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

How you listen to that podcast is beyond me. I like Feldman ok, but neither of them have any on air personality, the production quality is awful (background noise galore), and half the time Feldman sounds like he’s packing up to run to the airport. Staples is the only CF podcast I’ve been able to regularly stomach. 

Staples is ok but the next time he goes 30 seconds without force feeding an SEC anecdote will be a first for him.  

Texas isn’t the only university whose athletic department ended the 2021-22 fiscal year with a significant surplus.

For example, Indiana and Georgia both had surpluses that topped $30 million. Ohio State boasted a surplus of $25.9 million. Alabama made $18.5 million. Michigan reported a $17.1 million profit and Missouri was up $15.5 million.

According to Sportico, Texas A&M matched Missouri.

As of Friday, the Sportico database had collected the audits for Texas and five additional Big 12 teams. Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and West Virginia all ended the 2022 fiscal year with a surplus. The biggest gainer of that quintet was Kansas, which made more than $9.3 million.

On 2/10/2023 at 6:55 AM, Sgt Hulk said:

So we are sitting here discussing red to RB with doubts after watching a highschool QB come in switch to RB and become a longhorn legend?  

What's fucked is I always look at offensive skill positions and think we are stacked then suddenly either WR or RB takes a nose dive. Insane to say Brooks and Blue can't carry the load and run between the tackles. Maybe I'm just not as plugged in but guys who aren't Jerome Bettis do just fine running up the gut and either protect themselves or slip tackles all day..

15 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Texas isn’t the only university whose athletic department ended the 2021-22 fiscal year with a significant surplus.

For example, Indiana and Georgia both had surpluses that topped $30 million. Ohio State boasted a surplus of $25.9 million. Alabama made $18.5 million. Michigan reported a $17.1 million profit and Missouri was up $15.5 million.

According to Sportico, Texas A&M matched Missouri.

As of Friday, the Sportico database had collected the audits for Texas and five additional Big 12 teams. Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and West Virginia all ended the 2022 fiscal year with a surplus. The biggest gainer of that quintet was Kansas, which made more than $9.3 million.

How Texas did it: 2021-22 revenue

No shocker here, but Texas athletics generated about $87 million more in fiscal year 2022 than it did in pandemic-affected 2021. According to audited numbers, here’s what Texas athletics reported: Contributions: $74,914,512 Ticket sales: $57,543,166 Royalties, licensing, advertising and sponsorships: $44,494,340 Media rights: $23,763,863 Conference distributions of bowl revenue: $11,391,956 Program, novelty, parking and concession sales: $7,412,672 NCAA distributions: $4,974,999 Sports camp revenues: $4,601,671 In-kind contributions: $3,059,561 Athletics-restricted endowment and investments income: $2,414,395 Conference distributions: $2,090,286 Other operating revenue: $1,516,227 Game guarantees: $1,113,000

How Texas did it: 2021-22 expenses

According to audited numbers obtained through open records, Texas athletics claimed $225,153,011 in operating expenditures during the 2021-22 athletic year: Coaching salaries, benefits and bonuses: $40,679,020 Support staff/administrative compensation, benefits and bonuses: $36,658,504 Direct overhead and administrative expenses: $35,606,925 Athletics facilities debt services, leases and rental fees: $26,867,696 Athletic student aid: $13,697,568 Game expenses: $13,502,595 Team travel: $12,363,867 Other operating expenses: $9,073,850 Severance payments: $8,264,903 Fundraising, marketing and promotion: $7,183,560 Recruiting: $4,509,875 Student-athlete nontravel meals: $3,938,712 Game guarantees: $3,696,259 Sports equipment, uniforms and supplies: $3,361,609 Medical expenses and insurance: $2,216,691 Sports camp expenses: $1,598,988 Spirit groups: $1,424,573 Memberships and dues: $507,816

On 2/9/2023 at 1:10 PM, closetojumping said:

Brooks isn't going to be a workman between the tackles. He can run there, but he's had shoulder issues, so they're not going into next year expecting him to be carrying 80% of the running game or anything. 

Blue will be a miracle if he makes it to the season and actually performs well enough to justify carries. He's simply not a between the tackles guy.

They don't want to be dependent upon Baxter being ready to be the lead guy. It isn't fair to enter the season putting that expectation on him. They do expect him to play and be a potential difference maker early, for flashes.

The Red stuff looks like standard Nahlin/IT wishcasting. It's been a throwaway thing that someone on or near the staff tossed out to some folks.

They want a bigger back that can run between the tackles and take the beating. Want to be a portal savant for us on this board? Find the guy that's 5-9 to 6-1 and weighs 220-240 and gained 400-500 yards in big college football or had bigger numbers in one of the other levels. That guy will get a small but competitive NIL opportunity if he heads to Texas. 

I may be in the minority but recently in our championship years we had RB by committee! We didn’t have a Bijan or Jamal Charles In either years 05 or 09 so I’m really not worried about having an every down back 

52 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I may be in the minority but recently in our championship years we had RB by committee! We didn’t have a Bijan or Jamal Charles In either years 05 or 09 so I’m really not worried about having an every down back 

Ummmm Charles was on the 05 team....

• Haha 1