2023 Texas Softball - Back to WCWS

Js1

Perhaps the Wed game @ Texas St was a factor.   Game was much closer than the final score, 4-0,  for good reason pitched Morgan against a higher rated team than Kansas.

Czech continues to be susceptible to the HR ball.  I think she now has given up 11 or 12.  5 errors,  returning to old ways.  

If there had to be a loss like this,  some consolation it was to a team coached by Jennifer McFalls and Kaitlyn Slack.    Appreciate their past contributions to the program.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

No way we host a super. We may be lucky to get a regional. We have the bats (not tonight), but not the arms, and certainly not the defense. Perhaps the most amazing thing about our run last year is we started playing defense. Now we are back to circus ball. 

Think we will barely host a regional. No shot at supers. Really misses that opportunity in Norman and early in the year blowing leads 

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

We really need 2/3 from OSU for RPI.  I would take 1/3 though.

2/3 if we have hopes of hosting a super. Would give us a shot at 2nd place in conference depending on how the Baylor series goes and Bedlam. I’ll take 1 of 3 to start though 

8 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

We need a win over OKST to make up for our loss to KU

We do. And the good thing about this week is we have no mid week game. We play Thursday. Mac should be good to go on Thursday. I want to see if Czech can channel her OKC form in the bracket clincher from last year on Friday, with Sophia ready to relieve her. Citlaly on Saturday with Morgan ready to go

I wonder if we have a 7th inning lead and Mike learns from the OU game. Don’t let them see anyone a 4th time in the same game 

11th in this week's RPI

3 games against #3
3 games against #19

Absolutely still have a longshot chance to host a super if we can win 4 or 5 of those 6 games.  These next 2 weekends are crucial for us. 

To me, OU, UCLA, Ok State, FSU and Tennessee are absolute locks.  OU, UCLA, FSU and Tennessee are all leading their conferences and OK State has been a top 3 RPI team with a gaudy record and 2nd place in the Big 12.  High RPI teams like Stanford and LSU are in the top 5 of RPI but both are middling in their own conference (LSU is 7th at 7-8 and Stanford is tied for 4th at 8-7). Duke is 7th but 3rd in conference behind FSU and Clemson (14). 

The Big 12 is the #3 RPI conference, so yes, they will easily have 2 top 8 seeds and potentially a 3rd. SEC is #1, but not sure a 7th place team is going to get a top 8 seed, even with such a high RPI.  But hey, the committee is lazy. I won't be shocked if a middling SEC and Pac 12 team gets a top 8 seed because RPI says so.

What is saving Stanford and LSU is their SOS - Stanford is #1 and LSU is #3.  Same where NW (RPI 9) and Louisiana (RPI 10) are - NW's SOS is 5th and Louisiana's SOS is 4th.  Despite being in the 5th and 6th rated conferences.