Lunch near Dallas Arboretum - Weekend

Jameslaw121

Going to take the kids (3 and 9)and wife to the Arboretum this Saturday. Looking for something casual but unique. Nothing super expensive. Thinking like Cane Russo. We live in Allen, so we don't go to that area much. 

Obviously, after spending a few hours with the children, it must have alcohol.

Cane Russo hates children. It's great pizza but there's also Thunderbird Pies next door which is Detroit style. White Rock Ale House is pretty good and has lots of beers. It's in the shopping center across the street from Cane Russo. 

https://www.whiterockalehouse.com/

https://www.thunderbirdpies.com/

You could also head east on Garland and go to Goodfriend.

https://www.goodfrienddallas.com/

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Going to take the kids (3 and 9)and wife to the Arboretum this Saturday. Looking for something casual but unique. Nothing super expensive. Thinking like Cane Russo. We live in Allen, so we don't go to that area much. 

Obviously, after spending a few hours with the children, it must have alcohol.

1. you can openly bring alcohol into the arboretum 

2. Smoky Rose is where all my Little Forest Hills friends go with their kids. I go to Cane Rosso all the time with my 2 (6 and 3) and they love it. Taco Joint is between the arboretum and 75 and always a hit with my kids and my wife and I. 

If you’re open to Greenville than The Libertine and Standard Service are good options. River Pig Saloon just opened and looks family friendly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

2. Smoky Rose is where all my Little Forest Hills friends go with their kids. I go to Cane Rosso all the time with my 2 (6 and 3) and they love it. Taco Joint is between the arboretum and 75 and always a hit with my kids and my wife and I. 

If you’re open to Greenville than The Libertine and Standard Service are good options. River Pig Saloon just opened and looks family friendly. 

I did not like Smoky Rose the one time I went.  It was free, so you have to be particularly shitty for me to not like free food.  It was right after they opened, so perhaps they’ve improved.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Holy Shit GIFs | Tenor

I did not know this. My In-Laws have the yearly pass and ask us to go at least every couple of weeks. Had I known this part, I wouldn't have feign an illness all those times.

Also, being surly, I enjoy how you pointed out "openly." 

19 hours ago, mdmost said:

Cane Russo hates children.

Well to be fair children destroyed the $40K fountain that was there when they first opened.  It's probably fairer to say that Jay Jerrier hates it when children are not properly supervised by their parents at his restaurant.  (#getoffmylawn)

19 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I did not like Smoky Rose the one time I went.  It was free, so you have to be particularly shitty for me to not like free food.  It was right after they opened, so perhaps they’ve improved.  

They haven't.  I'll never go back.

Goodfriend is pretty good for burgers and has good craft beers if you like that.  There's also a Rodeo Goat in the southeast corner of Casa Linda Plaza (same quadrant as Chili's and Elliott's Hardware).

I haven't made it to Mixtito's yet and am somewhat concerned about it's viability (have heard some things).  It's probably not the best choice for kids, though.

Lowest Greenville has tons of spots now.  Most are not great for kids.  But, there is the Truckyard and Desert Racer, which could work.  Both have large outdoor areas.  Truckyard can get really crowded on weekends.

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Holy Shit GIFs | Tenor

I did not know this. My In-Laws have the yearly pass and ask us to go at least every couple of weeks. Had I known this part, I wouldn't have feign an illness all those times.

Also, being surly, I enjoy how you pointed out "openly." 

Yeah, it’s our go to Mother’s Day spot the last couple years. Bring in a few bottles of bubbly and let the kids run around. Everyone’s happy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Your kids drinking too?

Hey if you're going to lowest Greenville take the kids to Single Wide and get them a Yoo-hoo Yeehaw. Tastes like a Wendy's frosty and they're guaranteed to be asleep in the car on the way back***

*** (Hopefully after the puking)

Edited by Hermanator

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2023 at 2:53 PM, DDD Dad said:

Goodfriend is pretty good for burgers and has good craft beers if you like that.  There's also a Rodeo Goat in the southeast corner of Casa Linda Plaza (same quadrant as Chili's and Elliott's Hardware).

On 4/6/2023 at 10:34 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Way too late but Rodeo Goat would have been a good choice.

• 1 month later...