Riverside County (CA) Sheriff Dept are dumbshits

Gil Bang

An “embarrassing” Riverside County Sheriff’s Department sting-operation-gone-wrong last week put 60 pounds of methamphetamine in the hands of a narcotics trafficker, the department admitted.

Narcotics investigators with the department were hoping to identify drug traffickers last Wednesday during an undercover operation, the Sheriff’s Department said. Deputies posing as wholesale drug sellers met with a suspect who wanted to buy 27 kilos of the powerful stimulant, they said.

The deputies sold the street drug to the suspect, who promptly drove away from the undercover law enforcement team, according to the department.

Other deputies from the gang task force tried to stop the suspect’s car, but the suspect fled, according to the sheriff’s department.

The suspect sped away at “high speeds” and exhibited a “disregard for public safety,” and was able to evade arrest.

“Why would you let someone get in their vehicle, I dont know,” said Michael Lujan, a retired captain with the Riverside Sheriff’s Department who lost the election to be sheriff to Chad Bianco last year. “It is pretty embarrassing. It’s unfortunate because now we have additional narcotics out on the street.”

Lujan said he heard the sale was made for $35,000.

Lujan said that a “reverse-buy” operation usually has guardrails in place to stop suspects from making off with narcotics.

The department creates an “operational package” that details any concerns or difficulties that could occur during the sting, Lujan said. Surrounding area hazards are outlined and any escape routes are noted. Ideally, sufficient background has been done on the suspect and there is a surveillance plan in place so that other deputies besides the undercovers are monitoring the location where the sting occurs.

“The question is, was this operation completed within the guidelines and parameters of the department to maximize a positive result in the investigation?” Lujan said.

The department did not say what went wrong that led to the suspect escaping with the drugs.

The department — which put out a press release after a reporter for the Desert Sun began asking for information on the incident — said the investigation is ongoing. The department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

Ah, Riverside, California.  The Oklahoma of the Inland Empire.  Or is that Bakersfield?  Either way.  

$50 and my pinky toe says this was a handoff of meth to be trafficked within the country that went sideways so they pretended it was a sting gone sideways.  Better to be embarrassed than implicated in what is an actual LEO drug trafficking ring in this country.  That's how the product moves around.  sometimes mistakes are made.

5 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Ah, Riverside, California.  The Oklahoma of the Inland Empire.  Or is that Bakersfield?  Either way.  

$50 and my pinky toe says this was a handoff of meth to be trafficked within the country that went sideways so they pretended it was a sting gone sideways.  Better to be embarrassed than implicated in what is an actual LEO drug trafficking ring in this country.  That's how the product moves around.  sometimes mistakes are made.

No clue about it now, but I lived there for 5 years in the '80s, seemed great to me, but i was a kid.  Cheryl Miller was the biggest thing in town at the time, she went for a hundo in a game for Poly, I got her autograph, as I mom was her home-ec teacher.

I think it's a pretty area.  I almost went to college nearby at University of Redlands.  Just seems like when I go back to visit family, the citizenry has taken a nosedive.  But shit is always different, even if it's the same, when you're 15 and when you're 45.  Looking back, it seems like about half the places I lived growing up have gotten worse, and half have gotten better.  I guess that's life. 

According to some drivers we have that leave Long Beach to all points East, there are some spots in the Inland Empire that are effectively "cross-docking" hubs for drug distribution across the country up to the Mississippi.  They hear chatter, they see shit, they hit up the same dive bars as LEO's and just listen.  If you could aggregate into some kinda machine learning algorithm the shit that America's truck drivers see and hear, this country would be very surprised.  Of course, a lot of those guys would end up dead, too.  So there's that.  

csb/ I remember ~35 years ago.  My family was in trucking, still are to some much smaller extent.  We stopped a shady rest stop in the middle of nowhere even though I wanted to piss at a restaurant and maybe get a soda.  Dad explains we're pissing here.  He smokes a few lucky strikes and makes conversation with a couple long-haul drivers stretching their legs.  He's using all the right lingo and they're having a laugh.  Asks them about the weather behind them that's heading our way, speed traps, construction zones, places to eat they hit up farther west, etc.  He explained to my young self that when traveling, don't ask at the hotel, don't read a brochure, ask a trucker---they have nothing to do but see and hear.  They pick up things nobody else does, they are your best asset when on the road.  Until smart phones, on every road trip I went on (and I went on a fuckton), I can think of dozens of times I'd ask one of those guys for some advice and they always delivered.  And then one day a few years ago, one of our drivers was goofing around a truck stop in Texas.  And he got turned around leaving the pisser looking for the backdoor and he realized there was a room effectively "missing" from the middle of the joint.  Wasn't the kitchen, wasn't the cooler, it was just this gap.  He'd been in a 1000 truck stops in 30 years, they're all more or less the same in the end.  He became infatuated with it.  Told a few other drivers and they all stopped there over the months and agreed.  One guy finally moved a cart out of the way in a back hall when nobody was looking.  And there it was a door to a cut room, no security because that would look like a knock-off.  Operating almost in plain sight for years.  Just so happened the coffee counter was a highway patrol hangout too.  And that began our interest into how narcotics move around the country once they cross the border.  They prefer straight trucks for obvious reasons.  We don't do that.     

Thats a great story.  My dad was in law enforcement in Riverside back in the day, transferred from Los Angeles , before being promoted to Dallas.  Over the years,he's shared a few stories about tracking bad guys around Palm Springs, San Berdo etc.. Uncle was a sergeant in LAPD, from Long Beach, he had a ton of good ones too.

Not to derail the thread, but everyone should stay, or at least visit the Mission Inn. Great architecture, and surprise gardens, corridors around every corner.

Four Hours: A beat-the-heat tour of historic Riverside and the Mission Inn  - Los Angeles Times

Visit : Mission Inn Foundation

Mission Inn Hotel & Spa - Hotel to Love in Riverside, CA - Detailed Review  & Photos

We stayed in one of the rooms with the red doors. There was a separate room in the back, away from the main room. The kids woke up early and went there to read and play on their ipad while my wife and I had some morning spooning sexy time.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

Not to derail the thread, but everyone should stay, or at least visit the Mission Inn. Great architecture, and surprise gardens, corridors around every corner.

Four Hours: A beat-the-heat tour of historic Riverside and the Mission Inn  - Los Angeles Times

Mission Inn Hotel & Spa - Hotel to Love in Riverside, CA - Detailed Review  & Photos

We stayed in one of the rooms with the red doors. There was a separate room in the back, away from the main room. The kids woke up early and went there to read and play on their ipad while my wife and I had some morning spooning sexy time.

And the chair built for the fat fuck William Howard Taft, as he once stayed there and was too fat for any chair that they had, so they built one special.

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

Yea that place is dope. Company used to have an office in riverside I would go to monthly for a few days and stayed there once.

While the authorities clearly screwed the pooch badly, it’s worth noting that the entirety of the criticism in that article comes from the dude that lost the election to the dude currently in charge. 

I stayed at that Inn one night for a good friend’s wedding. Beautiful place and perfect weather in June. csb/