Futarama is Back - 11th Season drops July 24th on Hulu

atomheartbevo

Infinity War Yes GIF by MOODMAN

“After a brief 10-year hiatus, Futurama has crawled triumphantly from the cryogenic tube, its full original cast and satirical spirit intact. The 10 all-new episodes of season 11 have something for everyone. New viewers will be able to pick up the series from here, while long-time fans will recognize payoffs to decades-long mysteries—including developments in the epic love story of Fry and Leela, the mysterious contents of Nibbler’s litter box, the secret history of evil Robot Santa, and the whereabouts of Kif and Amy’s tadpoles. Meanwhile there’s a whole new pandemic in town as the crew explores the future of vaccines, bitcoin, cancel culture, and streaming TV.”

John DiMaggio, Billy West, Katey Sagal, Tress MacNeille, Maurice LaMarche, Lauren Tom, Phil LaMarr, and David Herman all return.

We've had a fantastic return of Beavis & Butthead, King of the Hill is on the horizon, and in a couple of months, we get Futurama

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Did the Omicron ever do their own version of Single Female Lawyer? I’d watch the hell out of that. 

Wearing sexy mini skirts and being self reliant 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Holy crap, went on IMDB to check how long it's been. When the new season starts tomorrow, it will have been almost 10 years since the last new Futurama episode.

Original run (Seasons 1-5): 1999-2003.

The Movies (Season 6): 2008-9.

First Revival (Seasons 7-10): 2010-13.

Aging Jamie Lee Curtis GIF

On 7/24/2023 at 8:23 AM, thunderlounge said:

Did not disappoint.

On 7/24/2023 at 12:50 PM, thunderlounge said:

Didn’t seem to skip a beat though, timing-wise. 

Yeah, it was great and literally picked up where they left off.  I watched the season 7/series finale (3rd or 4th?) ‘Meanwhile’ with the time loop/travel right before the new one and it was very uncanny how well they picked up where they left off.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, it was great and literally picked up where they left off.  I watched the season 7/series finale (3rd or 4th?) ‘Meanwhile’ with the time loop/travel right before the new one and it was very uncanny how well they picked up where they left off.

It was almost like it was planned or something. 

Although the way they did meanwhile left open a ton of possibilities for a comeback. 

6 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

It was almost like it was planned or something. 

Although the way they did meanwhile left open a ton of possibilities for a comeback. 

Yeah, I always assumed that it would come back (just not after 10 years) since they had already been canceled multiple times.

But I was more impressed with the voice work. I would not be surprised if they did some audio tweaking, because it was jarring at how well the voices matched between 'Meanwhile' and the new episode. Katey Sagal is 70. Billy West is 72.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I don’t think they did, to be honest. I saw something fairly recent (a couple years, maybe) with Katey and eyes closed sounded just the same.

Looking around a few minutes ago, I came across an interview with one of them that mentioned they get asked to do the voices often enough for fans that it wasn't much of an issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

Summary for next episode, spoilers galore.  Finally clearing up a 20 year-old mystery/plot point.

Spoiler

“The time has come... Amy and Kif’s babies are about to emerge from the swamp on Kif’s homeworld, Amphibios 9. The crew and loved ones gather for an ancient ceremony, led by recurring character the Grand Midwife. Hundreds of offspring attempt to make it out of the water alive, past waves of predators. And three of them make it! Kif and Amy are parents!

It’s tremendous work for Amy and Kif, but they love their kids dearly and can manage it between the two of them. BUT THEN: Military orders come in from Zapp Brannigan. Kif is ordered to leave immediately on patrol, to check on a scientific outpost that has lost communication.

Amy soon becomes exhausted and overwhelmed, and Leela generously offers to help out. She’s like an aunt who spoils the kids, and they love her for it. The kids have a natural affinity for Leela... one even has a single eye, like her. Because the kids have Leela’s DNA, Amy becomes worried that they are starting to view Leela as their ‘real’ mother. She eventually blows up at Leela as the stress overwhelms her.

Zapp and Kif, meanwhile, land on a small world where scientists study space bears. Kif is desperate to return home, but the situation is dangerous. Kif must battle heroically to make it back to his family.

The Grand Midwife announces there will be a ritual challenge to Amy’s motherhood! Since the kids have DNA other than Amy’s, ancient tradition calls for a battery of tests to determine if Amy may truly lay claim to being the mother... or if that title should go to Leela, or someone else. Amy is petrified. As the alien ceremony begins to unfold, she hopes Kif can make it back in time to help keep their family together.”

Beware the space bears! Futurama episode “Children of a Lesser Bog” premieres July 31 on Hulu.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/29/2023 at 8:49 AM, thunderlounge said:

This one is a pretty good concept. I like how the date of the original and this one are right about the same date and timeframe from the original. Nice throwback.

And this was a solid episode, Zoidberg being Zoidberg, Zapp Brannigan being Zapp Brannigan.  

Spoiler

Leela being the mom, lol.  Prof only cares about Amy being present.

Scruffy's stuff gets around.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Was not disappointed.

You nailed it, it was a well done episode. Throwback to the grand midwife/funeral director/lunchlady/parking lady, and zoidberg gonna zoidberg.

She’s one of my favorite one off characters. OH THE SORROW! OH THE SHAME!

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoilers for next episode

Spoiler

“The Professor unwisely invested in bitcoin and lost everything. Now, he’s in debt to the Robot Mafia. His one slim hope: the crew will need to join the gold rush of people flocking west to seek their fortune in the bitcoin mining frenzy. The Professor’s plan is to mine for the rare mineral Thallium, needed to make advanced computer chips used in the bitcoin operations stationed near the mines. They re-outfit the Planet Express ship as a wagon and journey west to “Doge City.” There, massive bitcoin farms use such gross amounts of electricity that there is no power at all for the mining camps... so life is much like in the old west, with campfires, horses, whiskey, poker, player pianos, panning for nuggets, etc.

Several intertwining stories take place in the old west town: Fry joins forces with a renowned gunslinger, the Borax Kid. Leela takes a job in the local saloon. Hermes tries to keep his son Dwight from a life of crime. Zoidberg becomes a frontier doctor, and Bender buys a donkey. And all the while, insane robot Roberto terrorizes the town with his patented knife-gun. Things come to a head when Amy discovers the largest Thallium nugget in history... enough to pay off the ransom. But... they have to guard it through a long, tense night from Roberto before it can be weighed and sold. The climactic scene features a sci-fi gunfight for the ages.”

• 2 months later...

So, the first 10 episodes just wrapped up a few months ago, and the second set of 10 episodes is next year.

And Hulu decided to order an additional 20 episodes (seasons 13/14?) on top of everything else, so we've got at least 30 more episodes.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/futurama-renewed-season-13-14-hulu-1235776322/

Bill Murray Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1