Chelsea 2023-24: Super League Winners 4 years in a row

MoJames

Obviously difficult to judge based on opponent, but one half down and some good.

Casadei looks the part, will do well with a loan, but filling the midfield well. So well that I'm not sure if Santos has done much.

Jackson has good touch and burst, nice assist on the first goal

Maatsen is definately player of the half

Moreira very much the worst play of the first half imo, Chuk looked a bit lost at times, but had the nice assist for the second goal.

Chalobah is doing well, Gusto look alright, Cucu hasn't cost us a goal yet.

On 7/24/2023 at 8:53 AM, MoJames said:

Guess it's just Enzo in the MF.

On 7/25/2023 at 8:08 AM, MoJames said:

I'm struggling to keep track of who the fuck is on this team anymore. 

7 hours ago, MoJames said:

So this is a player Chelsea was interested in but couldn't move on it secondary to a UK ban of completing transfers with Russia.

So maybe we are working an interesting loophole now that Boehly owning Strasbourg.

Can't be worse than anything City or Newcastle are doing. 

Expensive players aren't the answer. Since Roman left we've had zero identity or direction. It starts at the top and trickles down and currently the top is clueless.

Chelsea is basically the Yankees right now. There is zero direction - zero cohesion - zero passion. It's a massive brand struggling to put legitimate play on the pitch.

This is my PL club. I've made that decision. Whether Pulisic is on the roster or not. I'm all in.

The current squad is a fucking disaster no matter how much money is thrown at it. We're close to as big of an embarrassment as Tottenham despite spending three times as much. 

Acting like someone like Caicedo is going to fix everything is ridiculous. The culture is shit. 

I do believe in Pochettino. Maybe he'll knock some sense into the dipshit management group we've got going right now. 

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Expensive players aren't the answer. Since Roman left we've had zero identity or direction. It starts at the top and trickles down and currently the top is clueless.

Chelsea is basically the Yankees right now. There is zero direction - zero cohesion - zero passion. It's a massive brand struggling to put legitimate play on the pitch.

This is my PL club. I've made that decision. Whether Pulisic is on the roster or not. I'm all in.

The current squad is a fucking disaster no matter how much money is thrown at it. We're close to as big of an embarrassment as Tottenham despite spending three times as much. 

Acting like someone like Caicedo is going to fix everything is ridiculous. The culture is shit. 

I do believe in Pochettino. Maybe he'll knock some sense into the dipshit management group we've got going right now. 

What do you think so far of the tactics in the preseason?

Have any of the players surprised you?

Any positions you feel we need more depth and/or experience?

This is more than a tad hyperbolic. Expensive players alone are not the answer, but you need to acquire legit quality coming off the season we just had.

It was clear Boehly was taking big/wild swings at the beginning, but I’m seeing clear signs of progression in our acquisition strategy and more discipline in general. I think Poch has a lot to do with that as he has a clear vision for the shape and style of football he wants to play. Potter was so far out of his depth that he got run over.

I’ve generally been happy with the approach this off season. We’ve done some savvy business on both sides of the ledger and I think one or two larger purchases to raise the ceiling of the squad will have us positioned to make a run back towards a top 4 finish.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RichUT said:

This is more than a tad hyperbolic. Expensive players alone are not the answer, but you need to acquire legit quality coming off the season we just had.

It was clear Boehly was taking big/wild swings at the beginning, but I’m seeing clear signs of progression in our acquisition strategy and more discipline in general. I think Poch has a lot to do with that as he has a clear vision for the shape and style of football he wants to play. Potter was so far out of his depth that he got run over.

I’ve generally been happy with the approach this off season. We’ve done some savvy business on both sides of the ledger and I think one or two larger purchases to raise the ceiling of the squad will have us positioned to make a run back towards a top 4 finish.

ricky-bobby-talledega-nights.gif.7198bc6ba81c2d6f6776edffeadbf9c2.gif

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

Swap deal sending Lukaku to Juventus for Vlahovic apparently in the works.

GK Sanchez targeted and Caicedo deal still in the works.

Thanks for the updates, MoJames.  I'm anxious for some of these to get completed, and see if we can get any sort of consistency - both on the field and in the squad.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nkunku came out of the game with a knee injury after a mid-air collision against Dortmund in our final friendly. Hoping like hell that it's just a contusion or sprain vs. a ligament tear.

ESPN ran a blurb about Mbappe being open to a 1 year loan to Chelsea before signing with Madrid on a free next summer. As a fan I'd obviously love to see him wearing our shirt for any amount of time, but I am sure the loan fee wouldn't be cheap. I think you'd have to believe you have even a 10% chance of convincing him to stay, but the real odds are probably more like 1 in a million. Maybe they rationalize it by seeing it as the key to a quick return to UCL football?

It's fun to think about, if nothing else. 

Edited by RichUT

Yeah, no significant news yet on Nkunku. Would be a huge setback.

On Mbappe, I'm not going to put any stock in it until he is holding up our blue kit. I wouldn't hate a one year loan to kick start out offense. He apparently is a huge fan of Nkunku.

We did sign a backup GK

Axel Disasi in from Monaco. 

Disasi did not miss a minute in Ligue 1 for Monaco last season

Ongoing rumors etc

DM
Caicedo talks ongoing
Paredes considered an alternative
Feels like Santos will stick and not be loaned out - Strasbourgh looking to sign Zakharian
Casedei will likely bet going to LCFC

Fwd
Lukaku and Vlahovich talks ongoing, swap with 40mil going to Juventus are the numbers being thrown around, but we aren't keen on sending that much money their way

No news on Nkunku

3 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Liverpool stepped in and got Caicedo. Great to see us fuck around with low ball offers all summer and then lose out on Poch’s top priority.

I dunno, maybe it's cucurella PTSD but 100 mil for a DM just feels nutty.