Arsenal FC 2023-24: Passion, Energy, Clarity

shadow_operative

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

When is the Chelsea make up?

Still unscheduled. Likely they'll cram it in Tue/Wed Apr 23/24 or Tue/Wed May 14/15.  Those are the only weeks where we currently aren't playing every three days. 

In April, we'd have A Wolves (major banana peel game), H Chelsea, A Spurs (NLD). In April, we'd have A manUre, H Chelsea, H Everton.

It'll be hard either way.

EDIT: The other option is if we don't advance in the CL, it could be midweek between Spurs and Bournemouth, or midweek between Bouremouth and manUre.

Edited by Dutch

Still unscheduled. Likely they'll cram it in Tue/Wed Apr 23/24 or Tue/Wed May 14/15.  Those are the only weeks where we currently aren't playing every three days. 
In April, we'd have A Wolves (major banana peel game), H Chelsea, A Spurs (NLD). In April, we'd have A manUre, H Chelsea, H Everton.
It'll be hard either way.
EDIT: The other option is if we don't advance in the CL, it could be midweek between Spurs and Bournemouth, or midweek between Bouremouth and manUre.

Messy

Won't be surprised if Stones and Walker play for City. Won't be surprised if our guys play. Won't be surprised if none of them play.

That said... missing Gabi XL would be a huge loss; his partnership with Saliba and presence has been massive for us all year. I'd imagine we'd move Kiwior to CB and Tomi/Zinny to LB if he can't go.

We were blown away in the 1H las year, and City haven't been good in the 2H of late. Maybe Arteta's plan was to soak up the initial City rush, keep the crowd out of it, go in to halftime at nil-nil, and then turn up the heat? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

At this point just pray it stays that way until around 83 minutes and Arsenal hit City on a counter.   Feels like a potential Trossard match. 

Yup. For the first time in a long while, I think we have overall a deeper bench.  Trossard, Tomi, Zinny, Martinelli (maybe for ~ 10 mins), Eddie running at tired defenders... 

Edited by Dutch

14 minutes ago, Dutch said:

I don't think this will end nil-nil; they'll be a moment of brilliance that decides it. I pray its from a player wearing red and white.

Or not. 

Draw isn't a bad result. A loss would have been very damaging, a win potentially very uplifting.  Maybe Arteta should have applied more pressure in the 2H; subs were all positive, though.  The near-miss Jesus chance (if only his leg had been a few inches longer) in front of an open goal was the best of the match for either side and a massive missed opportunity.

Gotta hope Liverpool drop points now.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm OK with the draw (which is good, since there ain't no changing that!)

A win would be great but a loss would probably have been the end of the year.  9 games and a lot of football left to play.  

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

We have a fairly tough run in (not as tough as y’all’s). I think the only team with a decent chance to win out is City. 

What each of us have left:

Liverpool: Sheff Utd (H), Man Utd (A), Crystal Palace (H), Fulham (A), Everton (A), West Ham (A), Spurs (H), Aston Villa (A), Wolves (H)

Arsenal: Luton (H), Brighton (A), Aston Villa (H), Wolves (A), Chelsea (H), Spurs (A), Bournemouth (H), Man Utd (A), Everton (H)

Man City: Aston Villa (H), Crystal Palace (A), Luton Town (H), Brighton (A), Nottm Forest (A), Wolves (H), Fulham (A), West Ham (H)

Our run-in is probably more difficult: manure and spurs away, Chelsea (who play up to their competition) midweek before the NLD.  Then again all three clubs will likely be playing every three days through the end of April. 

Agree re City. After Villa, they have the easiest fixture list; hard to imagine them dropping many (if any) points after Villa. 

• Hook 'Em 2

We got those extra 30 seconds because Luton were booked for time-wasting in extra time. Lulz.  

Hopefully today isn't as stressful. In the 11 matches since the winter break, we've allowed five goals.  Of those five, one which as in garbage time while up 4-nil on Sandcastle and another in with the final kick of the football v Porto due to Martinelli's brain fart clearance.

Posted (edited)

If someone had told me in August we'd take eight points off of City and Liverpool, I'd have said no way. But here we are. Liverpool are the favorites at this point; we have to win out (hard away matches left mixed with a few banana peel home matches) and hope they slip once.  Drop any points and then they have to slip twice (unlikely). I still have a fear that we're going to badly regret dropping five points to Fullham (we're top right now on GD if we don't concede to 10-man Fullham.)

But still. The 4th quarter has started. Everyone is holding four fingers aloft. We've given ourselves a chance.

Lets. Fucking. Go.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1