A Small Light (story of the Frank family in Amsterdam)

DDD Dad

Didn't see a thread on this or any posts elsewhere.  Originally aired on National Geographic, currently available on Hulu.

Liev Schreiber plays Otto Frank, and Bel Powley (Diary of a Teenage Girl, King of Staten Island, The Morning Show) plays the main character, Miep Gies, Otto's secretary who helped hide the family during the occupation of Amsterdam.

It's a really well done series (8 episodes), but as you might imagine is quite gut wrenching.  Finished it last night.  Worth a watch, especially if you're not familiar with the backstory.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

we watched on disney+ (eps released 2 at a time through may).  i assume it's still there but good to hear it's on hulu as well.  it feels like a pbs show, and i mean that in a good way.  very well done and worth a watch.  was unfamiliar with this perspective on the anne frank story.

45 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

we watched on disney+ (eps released 2 at a time through may).  i assume it's still there but good to hear it's on hulu as well.  it feels like a pbs show, and i mean that in a good way.  very well done and worth a watch.  was unfamiliar with this perspective on the anne frank story.

Yeah I had assumed it was a BBC production that National Geographic bought or assisted with.  Cast is largely British, and all of the Dutch speak with British accents.   

I went to the Anne Frank museum in Amsterdam back in 2003.  What really got me more than anything else (besides all the posters/ writings on the walls that the 8 did- including them tracking the D day landings), was finding out that the Frank family were on the last deportation train that left the Netherlands for Auschwitz.  They were arrested Aug 4 and deported Sept 3.   

Thats a horrible what if scenario.  If they hadnt been found until Sept or later, if Market Garden had started 2 weeks earlier.  if, if, if. 

They might have still been killed by the gestapo in Amsterdam after, or they might have literally starved to death like so many did in Amsterdam once they were cut off from Germany due to Market-Garden (and the follow up operations). 

The Amsterdam German garrison didnt surrender until basically the war's end. They also hoarded all the food in the city and didnt give any to the civilians until the allies heard about the entire city starving in early May and they airdropped supplies all over the city.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Hadn’t heard of this, just DLd. 

Wife is German. When we visited the Frank house a few years ago I couldn’t stop her from crying. Moving is an understatement. 

Be sure to dust your living room before watching.

If I recall correctly there is one scene with Miep and her husband that is probably PG about midway through the series. Sexual in nature but no nudity. 

Other than that I don’t recall any gore or on camera violence. 

The themes are of course disturbing but you already know about that. 

• 7 months later...