Ski Season 2023/2024

texasdago

1 hour ago, pudelpointer said:

I wrote a long, and what I consider informative reply, and the tech ate it. *Frustrating*

For cheap go to Powder Mountain, Grand Targhee, Sunlight or Powderhorn.

If not, buy an Epic season pass and use buddy passes or work through your lodging provider for a discount (doubtful).

You’re paying Highland Park prices going to Crested Butte between Christmas and New Year’s for nothing. None of the steeps will be open (not that your family is hucking cliffs).

Ahh man, hate it when that happens.

I’ve got a free place to stay at CB so that’s why we are headed there. 

I guess I’ll call the office again and hope to get someone more helpful. Seems like there has to be a way to buy lift tickets for 3 days of skiing spread out over 6 days. 

On 11/3/2023 at 10:10 PM, pudelpointer said:

I wrote a long, and what I consider informative reply, and the tech ate it. *Frustrating*

For cheap go to Powder Mountain, Grand Targhee, Sunlight or Powderhorn.

If not, buy an Epic season pass and use buddy passes or work through your lodging provider for a discount (doubtful).

You’re paying Highland Park prices going to Crested Butte between Christmas and New Year’s for nothing. None of the steeps will be open (not that your family is hucking cliffs).

Yeah, I love CB but have always heard that the T-Bar terrain is best from February on.  I only have spring break experience when it was 100% open unless there is a surprise season like 2022-2023

On 11/3/2023 at 11:26 PM, The Royal We said:

Ahh man, hate it when that happens.

I’ve got a free place to stay at CB so that’s why we are headed there. 

I guess I’ll call the office again and hope to get someone more helpful. Seems like there has to be a way to buy lift tickets for 3 days of skiing spread out over 6 days. 

yeah some places will do like a week pass (7 day) with 4-5 days to ski.  have not been to CB yet so not sure.  We are headed there in Feb, but bought the Epic pass really early on.  Should actually get decent use as we are headed to Whistler over spring break as well.  I think the break even price for getting the pass is skiing 5-6 days total, so it's normally worth it.

from your post many moons ago, RE: the kids and lessons.  since they are all first timers, it might be worth it to do a private lesson for all 3 at the same time for the first day, but totally recommend some sort of lessons for consecutive days for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Didnt realize this thread existed, been looking for it on Travel board.

After 5 years at Park City and DV, taking my clan to Breckenridge.  Staying at the base of lowest 4 O'clock run.  SKi in.  We have been to Vail, Keystone, Steamboat and Purgatory (not sure if its Duango or if its back to Purg.) , so just curious about anyone's opinion of Breck, tips, do's or dont's

57 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

After 5 years at Park City and DV, taking my clan to Breckenridge.  Staying at the base of lowest 4 O'clock run.  SKi in.  We have been to Vail, Keystone, Steamboat and Purgatory (not sure if its Duango or if its back to Purg.) , so just curious about anyone's opinion of Breck, tips, do's or dont's

Trust me, I'm with you.  Should be there but here we are.  Besides, sorry... skiing is not a "hobby"  LOL

Aside from what I posted above, Powerhounds always provides good insight... https://www.powderhounds.com/USA/Colorado/Breckenridge.aspx

IF you can make it and you are allowed to take a little field trip, check out the conditions at A-Basin and go there.  If conditions are good, its my favorite in Summit County and tied with CB for me in Colorado.

• Hook 'Em 1

You're staying exactly where I stayed the very first time I went skiing in 2008. Wife's family are huge ski nerds and that is how they've done it since the 80's. Trail's End Condominiums is where I believe we stayed looking at it on Apple Maps. This will be our last year in Red River as the kids should progress enough that we can graduate on up to CO and that's where we'll be.

On 11/17/2023 at 3:12 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

You're staying exactly where I stayed the very first time I went skiing in 2008. Wife's family are huge ski nerds and that is how they've done it since the 80's. Trail's End Condominiums is where I believe we stayed looking at it on Apple Maps. This will be our last year in Red River as the kids should progress enough that we can graduate on up to CO and that's where we'll be.

Yeah it looks like a nice complex..we got one of the 3 bedroom units with 4 beds so everyone in the family has their own space and bathroom too.  Looks walkable to town, but we'll have to get dropped off at the lift....will be nice to ski home though each afternoon

11 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

That's crazy.

I've skied that mountain... well, some of it (and clearly not like that) but went there for a day in March.  It is a criminally underrated and unknown massive ski area.  I'd give my left nut to go back there for a whole week this ski season...

Serre-Chevalier-Piste-Map-2020.webp

As a total neophyte to Taos, I'm curious about something they show on the Taos splash page.  When you go to skitaos.com the first video it shows is of this run...

image.thumb.png.c4fcdfeea7286c396f6d83eee36be205.png

So, out of curiosity, is that one of the hike-to runs to the left of the hike from the top of lift 7A?  By that I mean Hidalgo or Juarez.  No idea if there will be nearly enough snow when we go but if so, I'd like to check that out.  

Wife and I were spitballing vacation ideas for the week between christmas and new years. Banff was suggested.  Anyone been there?  Suggestions on where to stay? Recommendations on skiing lake louis, banff or mt norquay?

I boarded since ‘95 but have aged out of it. I ski blues. Not interested in moguls; looking for steep blues primarily. Wife is going for the views. I doubt she’ll put on skis but would get in a gondola to see the views.

We’d prefer to be walking distance to restaurants and shopping. Seems like downtown banff kinda fits the bill but looking for suggestions.

5 hours ago, GenXer said:

Wife and I were spitballing vacation ideas for the week between christmas and new years. Banff was suggested.  Anyone been there?  Suggestions on where to stay? Recommendations on skiing lake louis, banff or mt norquay?

I boarded since ‘95 but have aged out of it. I ski blues. Not interested in moguls; looking for steep blues primarily. Wife is going for the views. I doubt she’ll put on skis but would get in a gondola to see the views.

We’d prefer to be walking distance to restaurants and shopping. Seems like downtown banff kinda fits the bill but looking for suggestions.

we did Banff many many moons ago maybe 25 years back?, i think in Feb. on just random trip the wife and I took.  number one thing i remember was how fucking cold it was.  i rode the whole time but we were really just doing 1 run off the chair and then straight to the bar to warm up and have a drink.  Then repeat the cycle of freezing our ass off on the lift, skiing down and warm back up.  I am pretty sure we stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs.  not very helpful i know

10 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

we did Banff many many moons ago maybe 25 years back?, i think in Feb. on just random trip the wife and I took.  number one thing i remember was how fucking cold it was.  i rode the whole time but we were really just doing 1 run off the chair and then straight to the bar to warm up and have a drink.  Then repeat the cycle of freezing our ass off on the lift, skiing down and warm back up.  I am pretty sure we stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs.  not very helpful i know

Average temps look to be low of 7 with high of 14. That’s very cold but not prohibitive.

Was it windy there? Wind combined with those temps would be difficult to withstand.

18 hours ago, texasdago said:

As a total neophyte to Taos, I'm curious about something they show on the Taos splash page.  When you go to skitaos.com the first video it shows is of this run...

image.thumb.png.c4fcdfeea7286c396f6d83eee36be205.png

So, out of curiosity, is that one of the hike-to runs to the left of the hike from the top of lift 7A?  By that I mean Hidalgo or Juarez.  No idea if there will be nearly enough snow when we go but if so, I'd like to check that out.  

That is Juarez on the Highline Ridge. Hike from top of lift 2. Lift  7A is an old school 2 seater that does not provide access to hike terrain, rather it gets you from the backside back to the frontside without having to ski Rubezal (long cat trail) back to frontside. 

Edited by JCHIL
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

That is Juarez on the Highline Ridge. Hike from top of lift 2. Lift  7A is an old school 2 seater that does not provide access to hike terrain, rather it gets you from the backside back to the frontside without having to ski Rubezal (long cat trail) back to frontside. 

Correction: I guess technically you can access the ridge from 7a but you would have to walk or traverse uphill about  75 yds  against traffic from skiers exiting lift 2 which is not ideal.  The ridge hike trail is just on your right as you exit lift 2 which is your easiest route. 

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

I've heard those chutes on that side of the hike are pretty straightforward versus some of the insanity on the other ridge

In general, yes, the Highline Ridge is not as crazy and tight/technical as the West Basin.  When conditions are good, the Highline Ridge is the ultimate playground for an advanced skier that wants to experience big mountain off piste skiing with a short hike (15-20 minutes to Hidalgo/Juarez if you are in good shape and adjusted to altitude).  Main Street, under Kachina Lift,  is very enjoyable for the advanced skier and maybe the most straightforward of all Highline Ridge Runs although it is the farthest hike if Kachina lift is not open.  The K chutes are steep! (avalanche that killed 2 skiers a few years ago was on K3).  West Basin - Oster (short hike) and Staufenburg most doable though tight and STEEP.   If you like steep tree skiing, do not miss the Wild West Glade at the end of the West Basin ridge although it is a trek to get there.....

Edited by JCHIL
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, JCHIL said:

In general, yes, the Highline Ridge is not as crazy and tight/technical as the West Basin.  When conditions are good, the Highline Ridge is the ultimate playground for an advanced skier that wants to experience big mountain off piste skiing with a short hike (15-20 minutes to Hidalgo/Juarez if you are in good shape and adjusted to altitude).  Main Street, under Kachina Lift,  is very enjoyable for the advanced skier and maybe the most straightforward of all Highline Ridge Runs although it is the farthest hike if Kachina lift is not open.  The K chutes are steep! (avalanche that killed 2 skiers a few years ago was on K3).  West Basin - Oster (short hike) and Staufenburg most doable though tight and STEEP.   If you like steep tree skiing, do not miss the Wild West Glade at the end of the West Basin ridge although it is a trek to get there.....

That's excellent thank you. Those all look great so conditions permitting I'll check them out.  I've done the bootpack hike on Willie's Wide at A-Basin just shy of 11k and I think that's steeper so this one looks reasonable 

I swear man... prices in the US kill me.

Montgenevre in France (where we were based earlier in the year).  six 2 1/2 hour private lessons over 6 days = 990 Euro or currently $1,084.00.  French instruction, in my opinion, is some of the best in Europe.  Really strong instruction.

image.thumb.png.ea904fa85e564e6f10dcaed9ca92decf.png

Meanwhile Crested Butte (and I'm not picking on CB since this is pretty typical and actually cheaper than several places) is $615 for one 3 hour lesson.   Shoot... I looked up Breckenridge and L O  L !!!!!

image.thumb.png.b21535250aa78ffcb08352d4a3099736.png

image.thumb.png.8361fb1a2b447d46def8987ae8a976b5.png

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

I swear man... prices in the US kill me.

Look for multiday coaching trips that usually include lodging etc.  Example:  Mahre

Mahre centers has trips with lodging, tickets, hot breakfast, welcome reception with apps and drinks, one group dinner, etc. Three day trips for 1800 and Five day trips for 2800.  I've done two of these over the years, and the Mahre brothers are excellent coaches.  If your skiing is ready for a breakthrough, believe me it will happen.  

Revey

Steep

Whistler

5 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Look for multiday coaching trips that usually include lodging etc.  Example:  Mahre

Mahre centers has trips with lodging, tickets, hot breakfast, welcome reception with apps and drinks, one group dinner, etc. Three day trips for 1800 and Five day trips for 2800.  I've done two of these over the years, and the Mahre brothers are excellent coaches.  If your skiing is ready for a breakthrough, believe me it will happen.  

Revey

Steep

Whistler

I have to plan with the family in mind... that leaves those other trips out of the question. For me, yeah... no doubt.  Definitely know the Mahre brothers...

2 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

With kids has to be a Christmas or Spring break trip I guess.  Whistler has a two day starting on March 11. 

Almost all ski resorts worth a crap have camps 

Taos has six days instruction for 375

Taos

Jackson

Alta

Telluride

Ulmer at Alta

That's awesome 

With kids has to be a Christmas or Spring break trip I guess.  Whistler has a two day starting on March 11. 

Almost all ski resorts worth a crap have camps 

Taos has six days instruction for 375
Taos

Jackson

Alta

Telluride

Ulmer at Alta

Yeah, it's been a couple years since I did it, but WP has walk up adult lessons. I think it cost 90 for the day the last time i did it. You tell them what you want to get better at and off you go.

On 11/21/2023 at 7:58 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

Same here about 1990. Skiing was great but it was absolutely freezing. And that was the week before Christmas. Can't imagine January/February.  One thing I do remember and hopefullt they changed it. It seemed like every run ended way below any chairlift. I was in really good shape and got very tired of hiking uphill 50 -100 yards with skiis to get to the lift

On 11/26/2023 at 7:53 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

13" fresh powder in the last 24 hours at Red River.

This helps a TON. And with a few days of good snowmaking conditions in the future, things are looking up. High pressure builds in over the next several days with warmer temps, and then hopefully back to a stormier pattern. Fangerz crossed.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:10 PM, GenXer said:

Average temps look to be low of 7 with high of 14. That’s very cold but not prohibitive.

Was it windy there? Wind combined with those temps would be difficult to withstand.

7-14 degrees is doable...the gear 25 years ago was not as good as now, that's probably what got him

On 11/28/2023 at 2:12 PM, The Royal We said:

Lift tickets and lessons for the kids are secured. I've been jogging/cycling/box jumps trying to get my old ass in better shape.

These people cruising around out there today with no lift lines are living the dream:

https://www.skicb.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx

Looks like about a foot of snow coming in the next week