Ski Season 2023/2024

texasdago

Just now, texasdago said:

Are you talking about just getting from Gunnison Airport to Crested Butte?

Yes. And up the ~1/2 mile private road that leads to the house. (it's pretty steep) Think I'll be fine if it's plowed and I've got 4WD?

Sorry for the noob question, just don't want to start the trip off with a big L if possible.

4 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Yes. And up the ~1/2 mile private road that leads to the house. (it's pretty steep) Think I'll be fine if it's plowed and I've got 4WD?

Sorry for the noob question, just don't want to start the trip off with a big L if possible.

Ooofff... I don't know... with a 4 WD and just going from the airport to the house twice (once there, once back since you have access to another vehicle) it sounds OK but I'm definitely not an expert.  I'm surprised that they don't put winter tires on the rental.  That's shocking given that Gunnison is one of the coldest towns in CO.

Now you guys got me nervous.  Renting in Denver and driving to Breck Dec 27-31.  Getting the car from National, Ill check and see if they offer a snow package (ie chains or an alternative).  Rented in SLC for Park City the last 5 years and it never even came up as its interstate the whole way .  Last year in Feb it dumped the whole time we were there, but the roads were plenty clear and we had a 4X4 burban,   never was an issue for the short drive. 

Denver to Breck over that pass will be 2x as long.  Need to look into that, though with the projected weather, may be a moot point.

edit: checked my reservation, we have mid-size AWD SUV; $317 with a couple free day awards used

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I just checked again and Hertz doesn't have any SUVs available and this is what Budget wants to charge for a week:

image.thumb.png.49f360d26e65da04a6db093526ecb479.png

GFY

what city/airport?

edit: nm, see it now. Gunnison to CB.

One of the first things i do when planning any trip or even start thinking about a trip is grab a car; i may hold 6 car reservations just to lock in a ride, but i have 3 teen daughters and wifey (sorry no picks assholes)

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

yeah true. i had looked into Eagle and the options were not as good (flights or cars)

Usually you can reserve winter tires... but I did rent once in DEN, asked for winter tires and did not get them. They gave me an SUV with 4WD but car rental agencies are great about screwing over customers and their requests. 

3 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Anyone have recs for some cheap emergency snow chains that I could travel with? I reserved a 4WD Ram via Turo because renting a big SUV in Gunnison was going to be close to $2k for a week. It looks like the truck has pretty new Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires on it in the pictures, but those have terrible reviews online about their performance in the snow. There's a 4WD 4Runner I'll have access to once I get to the house in CB, but there's also a pretty steep road to get up to the house. 

These are probably not viable for a drive through a hairy mountain pass, but I'm thinking about 2 sets of these for the rear tires or something similar just in case there is fresh snow on the road up to the house. Or maybe I'm overthinking it and won't need anything at all. I know that road gets plowed after every significant snow so it might not be an issue in a 4WD truck.

image.png.30cfc977453331b319974d82bb96253c.png

https://a.co/d/e8CA5nR

For $17, I'd buy them.  If you come in during a storm, you might not get to the house.  Worst case, you take them home with you and bring them back on your next trip.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Well, it's from Turo - so it's an individual owner and not Hertz/Enterprise, etc. I think Hertz was the only outfit in town that even had a SUV available to reserve and it was outrageously expensive.

I'm sure it will be fine and I'm overthinking it.

Always plan for the worst case scenario when driving in the mountains in the winter.  Because if you don't, you might end up stuck in a ditch during a snowstorm.

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

Gunnison. Not nearly as many options there as in Denver.

That's putting it mildly.

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Maybe someone with more snow experience can chime in but WTF that dude renting a car without winter tires.   chains may be a good idea

I know he's using Turo, but don't get me started on rental car companies at DIA.  None of their cars have proper winter tires on them.  Not a single one.  And they know full well that many (most?) of them will be driven straight from the airport up I-70.  Honestly, the CO legislature probably needs to do something about it because rental cars account for a significant number of problems in the mountains.  They just aren't properly equipped.

The last time I was in Germany in winter, I rented an Audi A6 wagon.  It came with snow tires, as all car rentals are required to do in the winter in Germany.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

For $17, I'd buy them.  If you come in during a storm, you might not get to the house.  Worst case, you take them home with you and bring them back on your next trip.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too.

And it does seem like it should be a requirement for rental companies to provide tires that are adequate for snow if renting out vehicles in the winter time. I know for damn sure they will come after the renters for the damages/loss of hire/diminution of value if a renter doesn't buy the Loss Damage Waiver and ends up in the ditch.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I know he's using Turo, but don't get me started on rental car companies at DIA.  None of their cars have proper winter tires on them.  Not a single one.  And they know full well that many (most?) of them will be driven straight from the airport up I-70.  Honestly, the CO legislature probably needs to do something about it because rental cars account for a significant number of problems in the mountains.  They just aren't properly equipped.

The last time I was in Germany in winter, I rented an Audi A6 wagon.  It came with snow tires, as all car rentals are required to do in the winter in Germany.

Same in France and Switzerland at certain airports.  Honestly it protects everyone including the rental companies.

• Hook 'Em 1

OK, I feel ashamed to ask this question, because I know the area like the back of my hand... but only during the summer.  I'm not a skiier, but we're leaving tomorrow to drive up to CB to take our boys (and meet/bring home the one in school up there).

Any insight on winter driving Monarch (US 50) vs. Cochetopa pass (CO 114) to get to Gunnison?  I know a lot depends on current weather (plug for the COtrip site/app), but it seems like a tradeoff between Cochetopa being an easier and lower elevation pass vs. Monarch being more likely to be plowed/maintained due to more traffic.

(and 4WD SUV with tread meeting traction laws on Michelin M/S tires)

OK, I feel ashamed to ask this question, because I know the area like the back of my hand... but only during the summer.  I'm not a skiier, but we're leaving tomorrow to drive up to CB to take our boys (and meet/bring home the one in school up there).

Any insight on winter driving Monarch (US 50) vs. Cochetopa pass (CO 114) to get to Gunnison?  I know a lot depends on current weather (plug for the COtrip site/app), but it seems like a tradeoff between Cochetopa being an easier and lower elevation pass vs. Monarch being more likely to be plowed/maintained due to more traffic.
Monarch can get nasty in weather. Never gone the other way.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Damor said:

The one time we drove to CB from Austin (and we will again next year) we took 114 to get to Gunnison/CB and then 50 to leave.  It depends on pass conditions.  114 was pretty mellow and never felt concerned about driving conditions at all.  It felt very desolate with very little traffic at all... like really didn't see anyone but it is beautiful and pretty easy.  If you get irrationally stressed in desolate places (I sometimes do), fill up your tank at Saguache before you go up 114.   Its 70 miles from Saguache to Gunnison and mostly 70 miles of desolation.  There's a really cool canyon before you get to 50.

When we took Monarch pass on the way out, we took our time.  Our friends went over the pass the week before and told us they saw a car flipped over so... you know... 

All about weather/road conditions.  I don't remember Monarch feeling nastier than some other passes I've driven before but my terrible memory says it was narrow and not wide like Berthoud.

Edited by texasdago
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm quite sure there are many core shots to be found in there.  But if you rent the skis...

Nope... my skis... and I know how sucker snow can turn your momentum into a full stop in a matter of milliseconds.  The scratch on the top of my helmet can confirm.

13 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I hear you.  That's why I don't typically ski early in the season.  Don't want to wreck my skis.  

yeah that's fair.  I'll have to think about it.  Maybe I can make a judgment call after day one.  Doing a group lesson on day one to get to know the mountain.  I might look around, talk to our instructor and then make a decision from there since I'll have two more days afterwards.  I'm going to eventually need rock skis

• Hook 'Em 1

Any Jackson Hole recommendations? Heading up after Christmas. I have lift passes for a couple days but everything else was sold out. Doing a snowmobile tour of Yellowstone. Wouldn't mind adding one more day of skiing, but not sure that's possible unless there is a secondary market for lift passes.

I'm an average skier and prefer blue runs. Knees can't take blacks. Any good areas of the mountain to check out?

Restaurants?
Other places to visit?

My kids are teenagers and have only skied a handful of times (one is snowboarding for the second time) and wife doesn't ski. So they will probably be on greens and easy blues.

• Like 1

Note: on Taos I signed up on a full day of advanced group lesson for Taos.  I know its a roll of the dice based on the instructor and the group but I've heard so many good things about the Taos ski school.  Yes, I would love to take Ski Week but can't do it this time.  Last time I took an advanced group lesson in the US was at Crested Butte... two of us showed up... while chatting about the day the other guy says, "I've been wanting to try blacks".  I complained to the guy who was moving people around and thankfully they put him elsewhere and I then had essentially a private lesson.  It took me a while to gel with the instructor until the after lunch and then we had a great time exploring off the T-Bars. 

I once paid for a short private lesson at A-Basin and I did not connect with the guy at all.  Felt like a waste of time and very frustrating.  I do think I've gotten spoiled by private lessons in Europe where the cost is cheaper and the instruction is unbelievable, especially in France.  

So, I'm somewhat nervous about Taos only because of my hit/miss experiences in the US.  I don't think Taos will be like that.

By the way, if you're curious about the certification process in Europe, it includes the Eurotest.  It is pretty bonkers.  There's a whole cottage industry of schools designed to help you pass the Eurotest (ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_RZf5MJov4 ).  I know in Italy some of our trainers were European Cup ski racers.  France's requirements take it to another level.

https://www.oxygene.ski/how-to-become-a-ski-instructor/

How long does it take to become a fully qualified ski instructor?

It is possible to become qualified in 4 years however on average most ski instructors achieve this within 5 or 6 years of starting their diploma. Thankfully, it is one of the (rare) professions where you can start to work before you are fully qualified. You can teach as a trainee even if you have started your ski instructor diploma through the British/BASI path, as long as you have the right exams in your pocket.

If you signed up for advanced lessons at Taos, chances are you will not be grouped with anything less than advanced.  The terrain there tends to separate the wheat from the chaff quickly and since Taos is so challenging, the Ski instructors I experienced personally and with my kids were always on point and grouped people really well based upon their levels.  They really cannot afford to make mismatches as again, well, the mountain will take care of that really quickly.   I think it is a great idea if you have never skied there before.  Yes,  ski weeks are incredible if you have the time.  My son has been skiing tele for a few years and Taos is one of the few places that has tele instruction which we will be doing when we visit first week in Jan.....

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Any Jackson Hole recommendations? Heading up after Christmas. I have lift passes for a couple days but everything else was sold out. Doing a snowmobile tour of Yellowstone. Wouldn't mind adding one more day of skiing, but not sure that's possible unless there is a secondary market for lift passes.

I'm an average skier and prefer blue runs. Knees can't take blacks. Any good areas of the mountain to check out?

Restaurants?
Other places to visit?

My kids are teenagers and have only skied a handful of times (one is snowboarding for the second time) and wife doesn't ski. So they will probably be on greens and easy blues.

The snowmobile tour to Old Faithful is cool and fun diversion if you are not skiing.   What about skiing a day or two at the local ski hill, Snow King?  Snow King also has a gravity coaster and tubing as well.  Since JH is sold out, I would also recommend booking a back country ski guide and going backcountry skiing in Yellowstone (we did this during Covid and it was crazy awesome) but from what you have described, you would probably need to be more experienced skiers for that to be enjoyable.  Maybe take a Sleigh ride in the National Elk Refuge while there? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

If you signed up for advanced lessons at Taos, chances are you will not be grouped with anything less than advanced.  The terrain there tends to separate the wheat from the chaff quickly and since Taos is so challenging, the Ski instructors I experienced personally and with my kids were always on point and grouped people really well based upon their levels.  They really cannot afford to make mismatches as again, well, the mountain will take care of that really quickly.   I think it is a great idea if you have never skied there before.  Yes,  ski weeks are incredible if you have the time.  My son has been skiing tele for a few years and Taos is one of the few places that has tele instruction which we will be doing when we visit first week in Jan.....

Thank you.  Hopefully the snow will keep cooperating to open up more terrain.  The Kachina Basin hasn't been running yet but saw them making snow on the cam today so hopefully more terrain is coming (and another storm cycle would be good)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

Restaurants?
Other places to visit?

You could go through the pass and hit up Grand Targhee (outside Alta, WY, but you get there from ID). It normally gets better snow than Jackson Hole and is less crowded.

• Like 2

Heading to Angel Fire in early February with my daughters (12/8). It'll be just us 3, and I don't expect them to want to try skiing yet, we'll probably stick to tubing, sledding and other adventures. I've got a sleigh ride booked with Roadrunner Tours. Any other fun activities to do with that age kids in Taos or RR? I looked at a snowmobile tour in RR, but they only allow 2 riders per machine. 

The snowmobile tour to Old Faithful is cool and fun diversion if you are not skiing.   What about skiing a day or two at the local ski hill, Snow King?  Snow King also has a gravity coaster and tubing as well.  Since JH is sold out, I would also recommend booking a back country ski guide and going backcountry skiing in Yellowstone (we did this during Covid and it was crazy awesome) but from what you have described, you would probably need to be more experienced skiers for that to be enjoyable.  Maybe take a Sleigh ride in the National Elk Refuge while there? 
Thanks. The tour to Old Faithful is what we're signed up for. And Snow King may be exactly what I'm looking for - Hate to only ski 2 days so I'll see about adding a day and hitting up SK.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/14/2023 at 7:52 PM, Damor said:

I live in Mt. Crested Butte, and we have had almost no bad experiences on Monarch Pass in hundreds of trips.  They keep US-50 clear as best they can.  The only problem is if the storm breaks before you get to the pass.  CO 114 has no shoulders and VERY little traffic.  I am not comfortable there in rough weather.  My suggestion is check the weather and highway reports and generally default to US-50.

• Hook 'Em 2

I live in Mt. Crested Butte, and we have had almost no bad experiences on Monarch Pass in hundreds of trips.  They keep US-50 clear as best they can.  The only problem is if the storm breaks before you get to the pass.  CO 114 has no shoulders and VERY little traffic.  I am not comfortable there in rough weather.  My suggestion is check the weather and highway reports and generally default to US-50.
Boy, I've sure had a couple pucker drives on Monarch.

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
11 hours ago, withinyourreach said:

Boy, I've sure had a couple pucker drives on Monarch.

I did Independence Pass on New Years Day in the middle of a blizzard in a 1986 Toyota Supra turbo.  It’s my understanding that they just close it during winter now.  That was not the case in 1994.  Everything since has been a walk in the park.

11 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I did Independence Pass on New Years Day in the middle of a blizzard in a 1986 Toyota Supra turbo.  It’s my understanding that they just close it during winter now.  That was not the case in 1994.  Everything since has been a walk in the park.

Really?  You had to bust through the closed guard rail.  

On 12/16/2023 at 8:22 PM, withinyourreach said:

We did 114 in great weather - sunny as could be but, yes, it was an uncomfortably quiet ride.  I'm not a huge fan of desolation in case things go south.

Sure is cool to eventually make that approach into Crested Butte, though.

original_0c144e89-d18c-475b-b80a-9d5315680c00_PXL_20220312_223422895.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

We did 114 in great weather - sunny as could be but, yes, it was an uncomfortably quiet ride.  I'm not a huge fan of desolation in case things go south.

Sure is cool to eventually make that approach into Crested Butte, though.

original_0c144e89-d18c-475b-b80a-9d5315680c00_PXL_20220312_223422895.jpg

I’m 66 years old and this brings great memories of early 2000’s great ski trips.  Now we live here, but my knees are toast - green slopes only, but it is still a great place and home.

17 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Just wow.  I had no idea that Independence Pass was ever open in winter.  That can be an adventure in the summer.  Makes Monarch Pass look like pasture land.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Open Snow is saying nothing until Christmas Eve.  4" on the 24th, 1" on the 25th and then back to nothing for the remaining 10 days.  Not great, Bob.

Yeah I saw that on TWC this morning.  Looks my kids will get to experience skiing on ice for the first time.  Spring skiing in CO in my youth is all i ever experienced.  The last several years in UT we have seen the best snow conditions; double edge sword I guess, in that driving from Denver should be no issue, but not ideal on mountain conditions other than the weather being warmer.  Still will be fun.

10 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Yeah I saw that on TWC this morning.  Looks my kids will get to experience skiing on ice for the first time.  Spring skiing in CO in my youth is all i ever experienced.  The last several years in UT we have seen the best snow conditions; double edge sword I guess, in that driving from Denver should be no issue, but not ideal on mountain conditions other than the weather being warmer.  Still will be fun.

It shouldn't be icy because it's too cold for anything to melt this time of year.  But coverage will be sparse.  Look out for rocks.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

Red River one week from today: 12/27-12/31. Maybe a few inches to soften it up/hide the rocks on 12/23-24, but pickens are slim.

17/64 trails open and 5 of 7 lifts open, so it could be worse. I am so thankful for the 12" last week (twss).

B57588C4-4402-4DC1-B98F-3E18887CEBE8.thumb.png.ff566d4fee4b58347ac82f9da0c17101.pngF8A1F982-BBAA-47F5-AF4C-10DC223056C5.thumb.png.46d28bf9cff2699dcfd51dd134850637.png

• Hook 'Em 1