Watering baseball fields

txhorns

I run a little league baseball organization.  This summer we were able to pay to have our fields leveled for the first time in decades.  We also hired a company to fix the sprinkler system at the fields that has not been used in 10 years.  The company has been working on the sprinkler system for about 4 weeks now but continues to run into problems.  We are running out of time as we need to plant the new grass and start watering in the next couple of weeks.  So now I'm trying to figure out how to set up a system to water our fields after planting.  We have a typical water faucet behind home plate on each field.  We also have a 2" hose attachment in the middle of the complex.  Does anyone have any good ideas on how to do this?  The biggest issue is our high school sized field that is 350 in center field, thankfully it has a second faucet in left field.  My best plan so far is to buy as many of the tripod sprinklers at Lowes as I need and run 3/4" hoses to them from the faucets.  On my smallest field just 1 sprinkler would work.  My second smallest I would likely need to sprinklers.  The two bigger fields would need multiple of these sprinklers.  Could I run a hose from a faucet and put a 4 way splitter on it, attach timers to each outgoing hose from there and run the four hoses out to sprinklers all set to go off at different times?  I would need to water multiple times per day so would need to be able to put everything on a timer.  Thanks for any ideas or help.

8 hours ago, orange dream said:

Are you meaning something permanent in lieu of the sprinkler system they have been having problems with or just something for a week or two while the automatic sprinkler problems get worked out?

Just something temporary to get grass growing while the old sprinkler system is broken.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Are you seeding bare ground or are you overseeing existing turf?   

Hits close to home as I got drafted into taking care of our two main little league fields a couple years ago. I fucking love it but got damn it is more work than people realize.  Getting ready to do a topdress and Overseed next week. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 10:12 AM, pops said:

Are you seeding bare ground or are you overseeing existing turf?   

Hits close to home as I got drafted into taking care of our two main little league fields a couple years ago. I fucking love it but got damn it is more work than people realize.  Getting ready to do a topdress and Overseed next week. 

Seeding bare ground.  Going to eat overawed it at the recommendation of the seed.

26 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Seeding bare ground.  Going to eat overawed it at the recommendation of the seed.

You putting something over the seed after you put us down like peat?  What is your seed mixture?   Sports/golf turf is what I do for a living. I'm assuming you're in Texas..... when are you trying to get it playable?   

10 hours ago, pops said:

You putting something over the seed after you put us down like peat?  What is your seed mixture?   Sports/golf turf is what I do for a living. I'm assuming you're in Texas..... when are you trying to get it playable?   

Seeding by using an actual grass planter.  Using a Bermuda mixture but not positive what it is without having the info in front of me.  In far north Texas.  Don’t need it playable until February.

On 8/31/2023 at 7:26 AM, txhorns said:

Seeding by using an actual grass planter.  Using a Bermuda mixture but not positive what it is without having the info in front of me.  In far north Texas.  Don’t need it playable until February.

I would go with a hybrid 

image.gif.532f8c679d3c8d66b160f1bbec110e8f.gif