Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

Van Lith is apparently headed to TCU????

That's....something.  I guess that "everyone just fucking shoot 3s" offense appeals to her lol.  Thank god we don't have to play them next year. 

Also ideal because it does sound like the Cavinder who was going to transfer to TCU is considering going back to Miami to re-join her sister instead. 

Edited by Js1

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That's....something.  I guess that "everyone just fucking shoot 3s" offense appeals to her lol.  Thank god we don't have to play them next year. 

Also ideal because it does sound like the Cavinder who was going to transfer to TCU is considering going back to Miami to re-join her sister instead. 

Big fish smaller pond? Guarantee the offense runs through her? I can’t imagine TCU’s NIL deals are that spectacular.

Just now, 86txex said:

Big fish smaller pond? Guarantee the offense runs through her? I can’t imagine TCU’s NIL deals are that spectacular.

Maybe? I don't know. ACC -> SEC -> Big 12.  Guess she's just making the rounds before the WNBA.

I'm sure Campbell recruited her heavily when he was at Oregon.  She's from the state of Washington. I would guess he can feature her, alongside Prince (if she can stay healthy).  

That is going to be a very experienced roster, even if Cavinder opts to go back to Miami.  2 seniors, 2 juniors, 1 RS junior, grad student Prince, fifth year Emma-Nnopu and then Van Lith. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is another guard that I wouldn't mind. She can really shoot. 

Probably headed to Tenn. an Alabama assistant was hired by the new staff 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Yeah you called it

Sucks for TCU, but HVL is a huge get.  Campbell has to make the tournamnet in 2025 with that roster and no Texas/OU.

Colorado is being gutted, ASU sucks, Utah lost Pili to the WNBA (#8 overall).  

Really, it looks like Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, ISU and Arizona will be the Big 12 contenders in 2025.

Actually really looking forward to watching the TCU/KSU games - Prince vs. Lee. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Phelia is currently visiting apparently 

If we land Phelia and one of Beers or Gardiner that will give us two of the top 7 transfers (per ESPN). With an already loaded roster. 

It would be interesting who would be preseason #1 between us and South Carolina if that happens. 

The social media follows for Phelia and staff/team are coming fast and furious.

defensively, she’s exactly what Vic wants. She’s way quicker than Shaylee and a couple of inches taller (6’0). Averaged between 1-1.5 steals per game. 3-4 rebounds per game and her offensive rebounding as a guard - about 30% of her rebounds are offensive boards. 80%ish FT shooter. She had to run more point this year, but last year she shot 42% from 3

16-4-5 against KU in the NCAAT

13-5-3 against Ohio State in the second game and 26-4 in the first game 

12-2-2 against Iowa

23-4 against Indiana

21-3-2 against Ole Miss 

She had nine 20+ point games the year prior primary at SG, including against Baylor, UNC, Indiana

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

I'm curious if we are also pursuing Phelia's teammate Taylor Williams (6'2 F).  With the loss of Gaston and Faye, our 2 biggest needs are SG and forward. Obviously, Beers or Gardiner would be the best pickups at the forward position, but I hope Vic has a backup. 

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The next Caitlin Clark imo. She’s getting a bunch of NIL wherever she goes 

Texas has to continue to prioritize her. The biggest stage in the best conference and close to home. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Huge get. 

Just need a big now and we are loaded. 

Yep. I know Vic praises Carlton as the most physical HS player he’s ever recruited but she’s going to first have to prove she can handle Vic’s conditioning. 

Harmon/Preston

Phelia/Lee

Booker/Holle

Moore/Muhammad

Jones/Carlton 

Herron just entered the portal. Expected that one 

1-3 next year. 

PG (Harmon): All American Honorable Mention, Big 12 defensive player of the year, and First Team All Big 12 in '22-23 before injury. 

SG (Phelia): First Team All Big 10 this past season. 

SF (Booker): All-American and Big 12 player of the year this past season. 

That's pretty damn salty. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

1-3 next year. 

PG (Harmon): All American Honorable Mention, Big 12 defensive player of the year, and First Team All Big 12 in '22-23 before injury. 

SG (Phelia): First Team All Big 10 this past season. 

SF (Booker): All-American and Big 12 player of the year this past season. 

That's pretty damn salty. 

And all 3 are legit ball handlers. Both Booker and Phelia spent a year playing point 

I guess Muhammad could still transfer but keeping her and Holle would be such a huge win. Both those players could start for a lot of teams. 

Holle was playing like an all-conference player at the end of last season and she's going to come off the bench in all likelihood. The biggest issue next year is going to be figuring out minutes distribution and who starts. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I guess Muhammad could still transfer but keeping her and Holle would be such a huge win. Both those players could start for a lot of teams. 

Holle was playing like an all-conference player at the end of last season and she's going to come off the bench in all likelihood. The biggest issue next year is going to be figuring out minutes distribution and who starts. 

I think Amina stays. Believe Phelia in and Herron out keeps us at 15, but I’m certainly sure Graves will go back to walk-on to make room for a big. Unless anyone else opts out in the next 8 days 

I am very interested to see how we handle the PG spot and full rotation to start the year.  I'm not optimistic Rori is going to be fully ready to go in November - maybe not until late December.  I'd probably start off playing a rotation of:

PG Booker
SG Phelia
SF Holle
PF Moore
C Jones

Keep letting Booker do what she do, Phelia in her natural spot as she gets comfortable into Vic's system and Holle playing her starting spot she had for most of last season. 

And then once Rori is ready to go, you slide Booker back to SF, Holle to the bench and Rori to PG. 

You can also shuffle that around early where Phelia can handle the ball (she did this past season out of necessity, like Booker), slide Holle to SG and Booker back to SF.  Maul can also come off the bench to run point. 

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Beers ending up at OU over UCONN or South Carolina is a win for us IMO. 

Those two teams are our biggest competition for a title next year. 

And OU will return 95% of its scoring, rebounding and assists from 2023-24.  Adding Beers makes them a contender.

I'd rather she didn't, but it does beat her going to UCONN.  I don't think SC has the room. 

Thinking about who we want at the PF/C spot, considering our current depth is Jones, Moore, Muhammad and incoming Carlton

6'4 Reagan Beers (17.5 ppg, 10.3 rpg, 1.3 bpg, 66.4% FG, 63% FT)
6'3 Timea Gardiner (11.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.5 bpg, 44.5% FG, 39.5% 3PFG, 88.5% FT)
6'4 Janiah Barker (12.2 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 0.7 bpg, 47.9% FG, 34.3% 3PFG, 63% FT)

Probably the 3 best forwards in the portal still 

5 minutes ago, D3zii said:

any word on if Beers or Gardiner is going to visit???

No idea. They aren’t covered as extensively as MBB or FB visits. They usually come out when someone is spotted at campus. (Beers was spotted at the OU softball game)

On 4/23/2024 at 9:08 AM, Js1 said:

I think Amina stays. Believe Phelia in and Herron out keeps us at 15, but I’m certainly sure Graves will go back to walk-on to make room for a big. Unless anyone else opts out in the next 8 days 

• Rage+1 2

And there goes Amina

What's the plan, Vic? This currently looks like our weakest interior team with our deepest perimeter rotation.  Not used to that. 

Hoping for some big big news in the paint. 

Edited by Js1

We need at least 2 transfers for the interior.  Right now we have Jones, Boutilier, Moore and incoming Carlton.  Need at least 2 more experienced forwards/centers. 

That is 4 interior players who have portaled - Faye, Gaston, Herron and Muhammad. 

Edited by Js1