Dallas Stars 2023-2024 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Division Champs! Now go get conference and maybe fuck around and get the presidents too

18 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Almost. But not official yet.

Yeah we’re up 5 points with 8 points left to play for. Not sure where espn got that tonight. 

then again I’m not sure how espn bets had the avs as the favorite to win the division before the game today considering Dallas’ points lead and the remaining schedules of both teams.  They finish with minny, Winnipeg, Vegas, and Edmonton again. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Magic number to clinch the division is 4 points.

That's what I came up with as well but might actually be three depending on how the tiebreakers shake out. I think the first tie-break is regulation wins and I'm too lazy to look that up right now.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That's what I came up with as well but might actually be three depending on how the tiebreakers shake out. I think the first tie-break is regulation wins and I'm too lazy to look that up right now.

I assumed it was head to head and know that the Avs have us there.

22 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I assumed it was head to head and know that the Avs have us there.

Head-to-head doesn't enter the picture until the fifth tie-breaker.

https://www.nhl.com/info/standings-info/tie-breaking-procedure

Tie-Breaking Procedure

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:

1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).

2. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in Overtime or by Shootout (i.e., 'Regulation Wins'). This figure is reflected in the RW column.

3. The greater number of games won, excluding games won by Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.

4. The greater number of games won by the Club in any manner (i.e., 'Total Wins'). This figure is reflected in the W column.

5. The greater number of points earned in games against each other among two or more tied clubs.

For the purpose of determining standing for two or more Clubs that have not played an even number of games with one or more of the other tied Clubs, the first game played in the city that has the extra game (the 'odd game') shall not be included.

When more than two Clubs are tied, the percentage of available points earned in games among each other (and not including any 'odd games') shall be used to determine standing.

6. The greater differential between goals for and against (including goals scored in Overtime or awarded for prevailing in Shootouts) for the entire regular season. This figure is reflected in the DIFF column.

7. The greater number of goals scored (including goals scored in Overtime or awarded for prevailing in Shootouts) for the entire regular season. This figure is reflected in the GF column.

NOTE: In standings, a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Skipper said:

Got it.  So they would have us in RW then.   Looks like 4 it is.

Yeah, just looked at that. No way for us to pass them in RW without getting the required four points that clinch no matter what anyways so four points is indeed the magic number to clinch the division. The Stars need any combination of four points in the last four games (VAN has five) and we clinch the Central and the West. The magic number to clinch first in West is six. The President's Cup Trophy would be gravy.

Edited by C-Man

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The President's Cup Trophy would be gravy.

If you listen to Duchene interviews on the Ticket, he's stated multiple times their goals are #1 the division and #2 the West and not really focused on the President's cup.   I like the philosophy that you want to have the opportunity to play a game 7 to get to the finals at home, then if you actually make it, decent chance you still have home ice if you end up with a top 2 or 3 record.  Ideally you don't finish behind all of NY, Boston and Carolina, but I think in a perfect world, we have clinched the west before the game Saturday and then manage/rest as needed to get ready for the playoffs.  More important to start the playoffs relatively rested and healthy than pushing for the top 1 or 2 record.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

If you listen to Duchene interviews on the Ticket, he's stated multiple times their goals are #1 the division and #2 the West and not really focused on the President's cup.   I like the philosophy that you want to have the opportunity to play a game 7 to get to the finals at home, then if you actually make it, decent chance you still have home ice if you end up with a top 2 or 3 record.  Ideally you don't finish behind all of NY, Boston and Carolina, but I think in a perfect world, we have clinched the west before the game Saturday and then manage/rest as needed to get ready for the playoffs.  More important to start the playoffs relatively rested and healthy than pushing for the top 1 or 2 record.  

Absolutely. Win the division to avoid the COL or WIN matchup in R1, win the conference to start a conference finals at home and added bonus of G7 if it goes that far. Definitely want to finish with as many points as you can so you have home-ice against more Eastern teams if you make it to the Cup Finals.

13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Absolutely. Win the division to avoid the COL or WIN matchup in R1, win the conference to start a conference finals at home and added bonus of G7 if it goes that far. Definitely want to finish with as many points as you can so you have home-ice against more Eastern teams if you make it to the Cup Finals.

Yep.  With the way the West is this year, home ice for game 7 is really all that matters to tilt the odds slightly in your favor knowing you are going to have a hell of a path regardless.  I mean from an odds standpoint, I'm not sure there would be much difference between Jets/Preds/Kings/Knights in round 1.  Getting the Knights in a potential 1/8 game might be the worst odds considering their pedigree and fact that they will likely be magically healthy 12 days from now.

It will be a tough series regardless but I think I still have a slight lean towards playing the Kings/Preds/Jets/Knights in that order.  

The missus and I are headed down to the game tonight. We got some lower bowl seats at a nice little price. I haven't been down there without parking in quite some time. Anybody have best tips on parking? Not looking for free but also don't want to spend $100 to park in the Lexus Garage or whatever is right next to AAC.

There’s a lot kind of across from Hooters on N Houston that’s actually under Woodall Rogers we always use. It’s a decent walk but super easy out after. May not be the best if it’s storming.

• Hook 'Em 1