Eurostar

Ghost of LL

So I'm booking the Eurostar in October to go from London to Paris.  As I made my reservation, I noticed the luggage restriction of 85 cm.  The last time I took the Eurostar was probably 20 years ago--you walked on and there was no problem with baggage of any size.  But since then, I understand they've put in security akin to an airport.  So is that 85 cm a rule, or is it more like guidelines?  And if I have a larger bag, what do I do with it?

And no, Spanky--I'm not flying fucking Ryanair.  I spend enough of my life on a goddamned 737, and I don't need to do it in Europe.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So I'm booking the Eurostar in October to go from London to Paris....  And if I have a larger bag, what do I do with it?

they'll confiscate the luggage in paris and and redistribute its  contents to the proletariat.

Shoot, I don't even remember a "machine".  Is 85 cm really a problem?  That's almost 3 ft long.

A little googling seems to indicate they're not terribly fussy, and they do have an advance delivery service, depending on where you're disembarking.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Shoot, I don't even remember a "machine".  Is 85 cm really a problem?  That's almost 3 ft long.

A little googling seems to indicate they're not terribly fussy, and they do have an advance delivery service, depending on where you're disembarking.

My experience is so dated that there wasn't a machine the last time I took it.  But they implemented airport-style security after the bombing in Madrid.

But yeah--85 cm isn't nearly as big as you think.  Most of the larger roll-aboards are between 40 and 50 inches.

28 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It just has to be able to fit through the machine. My biggest bag fit just fine last December. So did my folks' bags. I'll get measurements and get them to you once back in TX.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That would be hugely helpful.  Thanks.

43 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That is totally how I rolled on this trip...being gone for almost 4 weeks, going through a myriad of situations. I need at least 4 outfits and 2 pairs of shoes for everything.

My situation is a little different.  I've got two kids who need clothes for a two-week trip.  They little enough that they can't carry their own bags, but big enough that their clothes take up a fair amount of room.  So while I'll pack my shit in a medium-sized roll-aboard, their stuff (combined with their mother's) is going to take a much more significant bag.

My situation is a little different.  I've got two kids who need clothes for a two-week trip.  They little enough that they can't carry their own bags, but big enough that their clothes take up a fair amount of room.  So while I'll pack my shit in a medium-sized roll-aboard, their stuff (combined with their mother's) is going to take a much more significant bag.
And everything takes up more room in winter. I'll measure and let you know.

46 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Get them carry-on size spinner (4 wheel) bags.  They are old enough to handle those -- seriously, they can.  And because they are little, they can get a LOT of their stuff in those bags.  My kids were traveling for a week or better with bags that size by that age, and they were just the two wheel rolling bags.  If you've got a LONG stretch in the airport, you rent a $3 smart carte.  Otherwise, they can handle them from car to hotel and stuff, easily.

The widest point can be no more than 33in. That’s a big fucking bag.

https://www.travelpro.com/crew-11-26-expandable-rollaboard-suiter-4071626

^^ On rare occasions that I check a bag, that’s what I use. It’s 26” length, and has a ton of room inside. They also make a 29” spinner, which would still meet the requirement.

I’m taking that bag on the exact same route next month, and can let you know how it goes.

ETA: The above internal dimensions are 26x18.5x11.5. It's fucking huge inside.

Another option would be their 30" TPro rolling duffle: https://www.travelpro.com/tpro-bold-2-30-drop-bottom-rolling-duffel-4121530

The short of all that is you should easily be within the "85cm" limit, as it's not a cumulative 85cm, it's only maximum length of any given side. So technically you could have a box that's 33"x33"x33" and still be fine.

Edited by thunderlounge

On 7/5/2018 at 6:47 PM, Ghost of LL said:

So I'm booking the Eurostar in October to go from London to Paris.  As I made my reservation, I noticed the luggage restriction of 85 cm.  The last time I took the Eurostar was probably 20 years ago--you walked on and there was no problem with baggage of any size.  But since then, I understand they've put in security akin to an airport.  So is that 85 cm a rule, or is it more like guidelines?  And if I have a larger bag, what do I do with it?

And no, Spanky--I'm not flying fucking Ryanair.  I spend enough of my life on a goddamned 737, and I don't need to do it in Europe.

Real men take the ferry to Calais

On 7/7/2018 at 8:52 AM, thunderlounge said:

The widest point can be no more than 33in. That’s a big fucking bag.

https://www.travelpro.com/crew-11-26-expandable-rollaboard-suiter-4071626

^^ On rare occasions that I check a bag, that’s what I use. It’s 26” length, and has a ton of room inside. They also make a 29” spinner, which would still meet the requirement.

I’m taking that bag on the exact same route next month, and can let you know how it goes.

ETA: The above internal dimensions are 26x18.5x11.5. It's fucking huge inside.

Another option would be their 30" TPro rolling duffle: https://www.travelpro.com/tpro-bold-2-30-drop-bottom-rolling-duffel-4121530

The short of all that is you should easily be within the "85cm" limit, as it's not a cumulative 85cm, it's only maximum length of any given side. So technically you could have a box that's 33"x33"x33" and still be fine.

That they're looking at the smallest dimension is critical, and not at all clear from their website.  So unless you have a steamer trunk, you should be good.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

That they're looking at the smallest dimension is critical, and not at all clear from their website.  So unless you have a steamer trunk, you should be good.

I thought it was pretty clear. No dimension longer than 85cm. Either way, that’s still pretty damn big for a bag.