Surly kids who can't get into UT

texasdago

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Binghamton? It's a school I respect for sure, but I don't consider it on the level of the rest of those listed here for that "oh you went to ____, nice!" factor.

Depends upon the degree.  Colorado school of mines doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but some of their programs are top notch (as one example)

• Hook 'Em 1

Humblebrag incoming.  Child was invited to visit Austin College for sports.  They don't do sports scholarships but, at least, forever she'll be able to truthfully say "I could have played in college."  

Anyone know anything about Austin College? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CoTex said:

Humblebrag incoming.  Child was invited to visit Austin College for sports.  They don't do sports scholarships but, at least, forever she'll be able to truthfully say "I could have played in college."  

It’s in the middle of nowhere, has a crappy on campus scene, but solid liberal arts school and fantastic pre-med (and growing pre-law) program. Have a nephew who is a Kangaroo.

Net net, not even a decent school for social and college experience and well-roundedness, but good grad school incubator.

Edited by BeardIP

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

You won't have to worry about her getting laid in college.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CoTex said:

This was my claim to fame lol.

I was offered for baseball by the likes of Tarleton State, Dallas Baptist University, and Abilene Christian.

Dallas Baptist and Tarleton came with a little bit of money. Dallas Baptist was actually pretty generous but it was Dallas Baptist. It was basically a Baptist church with a baseball and soccer team. No thank you.

2 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Isn’t Austin College really expensive? Maybe that was part of the humble brag.

I’ve been proceeding on the assumption that a private school which really wants a student tries to get the number close to the cost of public school.

And if it’s a private school that doesn’t really want you, well f u Rice.

On 5/10/2024 at 1:24 PM, South Austin said:

You won't have to worry about her getting laid in college.

This is funny because the biggest sloot I knew in HS went there. She’s a successful lawyer now though. 

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2024 at 3:07 PM, BeardIP said:

and fantastic pre-med (and growing pre-law) program.

I can remember hearing this all the way back to the early 80s, but I wonder how true it is. My sister graduated from Baylor COM in the mid-80s and my wife from UTSWMS a few years later. Neither had a single classmate from Austin College. My daughter just graduated from medical school this year, and there were 4 other graduates from her public high school which would be borderline 2A/3A in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1