Lake Charles eats

Hook1997

Steamboat Bill's is a favorite of mine just across the bridge on the north side of I-10. If coming from Houston, Sartin's is about 10 miles off of I-10 south of Beaumont in Nederland. They got a big offer on their old building, so they sold the location and temporarily opened a spot in the mall. I haven't been since it moved, but it's worth the detour at least once in your life for the BBQ crabs...but it's Nederland, so watch out for the other crabs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Steamboat Bill's is a favorite of mine just across the bridge on the north side of I-10. If coming from Houston, Sartin's is about 10 miles off of I-10 south of Beaumont in Nederland. They got a big offer on their old building, so they sold the location and temporarily opened a spot in the mall. I haven't been since it moved, but it's worth the detour at least once in your life for the BBQ crabs...but it's Nederland, so watch out for the other crabs.

Going to hit that Sartin’s up on the way home!

+1 on Darrel's if you're in the mood for a real po' boy.

+1 on Steamboat Bill's.  Word had gotten out in the past few years and the crowd can be a pain, but damn they know what they are doing.

asked a buddy who lives in Golden Triangle area and he definitely concurred with others on the board that Sartin's in worth the little detour.

I just went there for the first time (flew out of that shitty little airport).

I am disappoint.  I found the town, what I saw of it anyway, to be a complete and total shithole.  I will specify that I was there between  0800 and 1100 before heading to the airport, and I may have missed the best that they had to offer, but wow...what I saw was pretty rough. 

31 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I am disappoint.  I found the town, what I saw of it anyway, to be a complete and total shithole.  I will specify that I was there between  0800 and 1100 before heading to the airport, and I may have missed the best that they had to offer, but wow...what I saw was pretty rough. 

I don't believe anyone would contend that Lake Charles is the garden spot of anywhere, even shitty anywhere, ie southwest Louisiana.  But it is in the heart of l'acadienne territory, so the food's the thing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

You likely saw the best of it then...LOL.

Twicehorn is exactly right.  the food is the draw.  If you fished and liked the outdoors, I guess that would be appealing too, but it’s no mecca of culture or entertainment.

If you are ever in the area that early in the AM again, I’d recommend a drive south on 27 from Sulphur  and past Hackberry; and check out all of the gators and wildlife in the bayous on the sides of the road.  Again, you gotta pick your spots, but there area few cool things in the area.

54 minutes ago, slorch said:

You likely saw the best of it then...LOL.

Twicehorn is exactly right.  the food is the draw.  If you fished and liked the outdoors, I guess that would be appealing too, but it’s no mecca of culture or entertainment.

If you are ever in the area that early in the AM again, I’d recommend a drive south on 27 from Sulphur  and past Hackberry; and check out all of the gators and wildlife in the bayous on the sides of the road.  Again, you gotta pick your spots, but there area few cool things in the area.

Yep, sportsmen's paradise.  Also, the Charpentier district, where lumbermen and merchants built significant houses, is worth a look.  Lake Charles' claim to fame, so to speak, was lumber and timber and the homes are interesting examples of grand homes, built largely without masonry by skilled carpenters without architects, typically.

I don't believe anyone would contend that Lake Charles is the garden spot of anywhere, even shitty anywhere, ie southwest Louisiana.  But it is in the heart of l'acadienne territory, so the food's the thing.

The food is the thing but I would not call Lake Charles the heart of l’acadienne territory. I would say Lafayette/Breux Bridge would be the heart. I’ve always considered Lake Charles to be on the edge of cajun country and Southeast Texas. My grand mother and mother were born there.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:24 AM, HouTex said:

The food is the thing but I would not call Lake Charles the heart of l’acadienne territory. I would say Lafayette/Breux Bridge would be the heart. I’ve always considered Lake Charles to be on the edge of cajun country and Southeast Texas. My grand mother and mother were born there.

To be fair, Beaumont is western Louisiana...

On 7/13/2018 at 10:24 AM, HouTex said:

Fair.  The edge of the heart.