Any Doug Sahm Fans in the House?

KaiserSoze

I've been familiar with Doug Sahm for a while and occasionally ascend the hill named in his honor next to the Palmer; however, Sun Volt recently released an album covering a bunch of his tunes and it has renewed/increased my appreciation for ol' Doug. The Son Volt album starts and ends with old answering machine messages from Doug- it's a fantastic tribute. 

Anyway- let 'er rip!

And the Son Volt cover I've had on repeat for a bit (went to their show in August)

Edited by KaiserSoze
  • Hook 'Em 7

I got to meet him once, briefly, when he popped into one of the big rooms at Austin Rehearsal Complex where I was helping a band record some live demos.  He was cool.

My stronger memory was when I went to the Hole In The Wall to see him on a Christmas night -- not Eve, 12/25 -- because I was single and didn't go home for Christmas.  At that time HITW only had the tiny window stage on Guadalupe.  He was absolutely captivating, a true showman.  I couldn't believe how good he was.  People who thought of him as some sort of old hippie cowboy were missing out, big time.  Plus, the whole faux British invasion ruse with the quintet is fucking brilliant.

• Hook 'Em 2

I was introduced to Doug Sahm through the song "Texas Me" that he recorded with the Sir Douglas Quintet while they were based out here in the Bay Area back in the '60's. I tried introducing them to a friend, only to learn my friend's band had covered "She's about a Mover" back in the day. 

And I love this "live" version of "Mover" if for nothing else than the little hop step choreography they got going on.

• Hook 'Em 1

And Trini Lopez!  That’s one of the worst Lip-syncing cuts I’ve ever seen, but Sahm’s hair is magnificent.  It might have gotten a little dusty in here when I heard he had died at the Taos Inn.  A magnetic, charismatic performer, and one of the great Texas songwriters and bandleaders.

On 10/9/2023 at 1:49 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I got to meet him once, briefly, when he popped into one of the big rooms at Austin Rehearsal Complex where I was helping a band record some live demos.  He was cool.

My stronger memory was when I went to the Hole In The Wall to see him on a Christmas night -- not Eve, 12/25 -- because I was single and didn't go home for Christmas.  At that time HITW only had the tiny window stage on Guadalupe.  He was absolutely captivating, a true showman.  I couldn't believe how good he was.  People who thought of him as some sort of old hippie cowboy were missing out, big time.  Plus, the whole faux British invasion ruse with the quintet is fucking brilliant.

Bruce Robison wrote a song about him and the faux British stuff called "It Came From San Antonio"   Sadly, not on youtube.  

On my Mount Rushmore of Texas guys, along with Jerry Jeff, Guy Clark and someone who I haven't decided on yet. 

The fact that there's not a giant statue of this guy somewhere in downtown SA, or some badass murals, is incredibly lame. Maybe when Augie and Flacco go there can be one. 

Never was a giant fan of Uncle Tupelo's music as a whole (though I've always had a great appreciation for their creativity and impact on the folksternative genre), but have always enjoyed their cover of "Give Back The Key To My Heart" off of their Anodyne album from the early 90s, recorded in Austin. Doug actually sings the 2nd verse, and it gets me every time when he comes in, "WELL YOU SAAAYY III WASSS THE ONNE."

Kinda embarrassing, but I left a Pearl at his grave once, burning some time around SA while one of the littl'ns was having some tests done..

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 12:49 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Plus, the whole faux British invasion ruse with the quintet is fucking brilliant.

Such a crazy assed story.

Dude was a legend. To think, He was like 11 when he played steel guitar on stage at what would be Hank Williams last show.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Never was a giant fan of Uncle Tupelo's music as a whole (though I've always had a great appreciation for their creativity and impact on the folksternative genre), but have always enjoyed their cover of "Give Back The Key To My Heart" off of their Anodyne album from the early 90s, recorded in Austin. Doug actually sings the 2nd verse, and it gets me every time when he comes in, "WELL YOU SAAAYY III WASSS THE ONNE."

. . . and yet his vocal take is far better.

I remember when Uncle Tupelo was in town making that record.  They weren't superstars or anything, but we all knew who they were and would go see their roadshows.  I was at Emo's one night watching some random band in the big room, and stepped on somebody's foot.  That was Jeff Tweedy's foot.  I just kinda looked at him and said "hey, I like your band, sorry about your foot."  "It's cool, man."   The drugs/whiskey were real.

• Hook 'Em 4

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and yet his vocal take is far better.

I remember when Uncle Tupelo was in town making that record.  They weren't superstars or anything, but we all knew who they were and would go see their roadshows.  I was at Emo's one night watching some random band in the big room, and stepped on somebody's foot.  That was Jeff Tweedy's foot.  I just kinda looked at him and said "hey, I like your band, sorry about your foot."  "It's cool, man."   The drugs/whiskey were real.

Read one of Tweedy's books on songwriting. Interesting dude. Main takeaway was that the guy writes entirely too much.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gotta look at it like it is a job.  To be....that is the difference between Bruce and Charlie Robison. Bruce attacks it like a job.  Charlie was a good time dude, just getting by.  Nothing against Charlie at all.  But Bruce looks at it like a job.  And the quality shows.   

16 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Gotta look at it like it is a job.  To be....that is the difference between Bruce and Charlie Robison. Bruce attacks it like a job.  Charlie was a good time dude, just getting by.  Nothing against Charlie at all.  But Bruce looks at it like a job.  And the quality shows.   

Not sure where this was meant for, but I can agree on the different approaches the two had, but it's because I see two completely different people, who had/have different goals for their music, and also their roles within music. Bruce loves the studio side, the talent side. Charlie wanted to write and perform more than anything.

Outside of being brothers, I'm really not sure the two should be compared much, tbh. They're almost apples and oranges to me, though two guys where their crafts just came easy to them. And IMO, though Bruce had the most commercial success in "songwriting" in the end, I'm offended for Charlie any time someone says Bruce was the better of the two at it. I'm not sure that's the case. 

Edited by UncleBuck

Nothing against Charlie at all and if it came off as harsh, it wasn't meant that way.  He was a really funny guy.  He just lived life and attacked his career differently than his brother.    And to think of that many great songs in one family, even including Robyn, is beyond amazing to me.  

• Hook 'Em 1