american fiction

henrygandorf

• 3 months later...

I finally saw this last week and really liked it.  I didn't know going in that it was foremost a family drama with the satire more of the B plot.  I think that was a wise choice.  I liked the gag of his book but it felt a little cliched and I don't think it could have carried the whole movie that well. 

Jeffrey Wright is deserving of his best actor nom.  Sterling K Brown was hilarious and stole every scene he was in.  Seth Cohen much the same in his brief cameo.  I've been thinking about the ending a lot.  Initially I wished they had stuck with the teased fade to black ending but I think I've come around to liking how they showed the 3 possible endings (shout out to Clue) while finally having Monk resign to sell out...again.  Why not at that point?

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally saw it.  Underwhelmed on the whole.  Loved the family dynamic.  Ended with about 3/4 of the story I wanted to see still left.

I guess I get the irony of the stupidity of the white literary types as part of the theme of the movie but it could have been lots funnier/interesting if they had been given just a bit of intelligence.

On 3/17/2024 at 8:51 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Is this all we have on the movie?
Finally saw it now that it’s on a streamer we have. Really enjoyed it. Multiple lines made me laugh out loud. 

i thought it was one of the best movies i've seen in month.  saw it a few weeks ago the weekend it came out on whatever premium channel it came out on.   very well done.

• Hook 'Em 1

I liked it. It was not a Rotten Tomatoes 96% worthy in my opinion.  It was very good not great. The Tomatoes rating is pretty ironic. Did a bunch of white people love it because of the same issues addressed in the movie? 

I liked it. It was not a Rotten Tomatoes 96% worthy in my opinion.  It was very good not great. The Tomatoes rating is pretty ironic. Did a bunch of white people love it because of the same issues addressed in the movie? 

If every reviewer liked it as you did, it would have a 100% rating.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

i thought it was one of the best movies i've seen in month.  saw it a few weeks ago the weekend it came out on whatever premium channel it came out on.   very well done.

The eulogy scene is incredible