Groundbreaking espn study shows that most schools tweet more about men’s sports than women’s sports

shadow_operative

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

And the fact ESPN makes this some sort of big deal is why they laid off some of their most competent staffers a few months ago.  And then turned around and retained talent like Lowell Galindo and Desmond Howard....

This earth shattering stuff to these clowns.

I find the kneejerk reaction to this more pathetic than the actual story, which may be clickbait

No matter how much you tell me to care about something I don't care about, I am not going to care. I don't care about women's sports and I won't ever care about them. Just like I will never care about cricket or chess. Niche interests that will never change no matter how many tweets are twatted.

Kinda like soccer.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

kelsey plum

Bro what. What has Kelsey Plum said about shit? She's more of a gangster than half the fucking pussies in the NBA, for starters. 

Are you talking about this? 

https://justwomenssports.com/reads/wnba-basketball-kelsey-plum-revenue-sharing-pay-gap/

Where she says they should have an equal % revenue share as the NBA? 

Edited by ztejas

1. This is a bullshit story that a "reporter" came up with because instead of actually covering something that's happening, they could sit in a Starbucks and surf the web for a story. That's where all these bullshit "Selena Gomez unfollowed Justin Bieber on Instagram stories come from. 
  2. I kinda understand the point of the article. Although Ohio State women's basketball is NEVER going to get the same amount of total tweets or fan interest that the football team gets (most sports tweets are not from the schools, but from the fans and reporters,) from the school perspective, it's like having two kids. One is an A student starting quarterback and the other is locked in their room playing World of Warcraft and whacking off to xHamster. You've still gotta give them both a birthday party. 
  3. If the schools decide they need to address this, the easiest way is to X on an overall athletics account and assign each program an intern with a minimum number of tweets during the season. The football program has fifteen tweets in a week with 50,000 impressions; the women's rowing team has fifteen tweets with 35 impressions. 

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

well i definitely agree with that. not even in the same universe as rapinoe.

Plum is cool as fuck (and pretty sexy).I follow her on ig. She isn't the type to overstep or put her foot in her mouth a bunch. You'd dig her on and off the court.

Informed or not you can't blame any female athlete for advocating for themselves. It's when they get carried away with it and start being disingenous that they lose me. Not unlike their male counterparts.

I'm a big fan of female athletics I just don't like being told how much I should watch or support them. I'm obviously always going to care more about men's sports. If I ever have daughters you can be damn sure I'll push them towards sports and take them to women's games or have them watch on TV or whatever. I think it's an amazing outlet for young girls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, the reason for this is mostly that women's sports are less popular than men's and have a smaller audience.

But, part of the reason for that is that women's sports havent been around very long, and maybe women don't watch them.

And a big reason for that is because until fairly recently, it was thought women shouldn't play sports, or maybe even watch them.

And the reason for that is that it was "unladylike," or not what men and society thought they should do

And so on and so forth.

So, this particular stat is not very useful for advancing any kind of an equality argument, but you don't have to go very far below the surface to find some misogyny that bears at least some responsibility for the differential.

Well they tried to fix it by calling them "Lady Tigers/Horns/Eagles/Bears" and whatnot but that's apparently wrong too. So how else do we normalize lady sports without calling them that? 

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, this particular stat is not very useful for advancing any kind of an equality argument, but you don't have to go very far below the surface to find some misogyny that bears at least some responsibility for the differential.

Absolutely. The ceiling for women's sports is almost certainly significantly lower than for men's, but the floor started to level only very recently.

There's money in girl's/women's sports. It might not be as much as claimed by a handful of people who certain-types-of-guys love to rage about online, but anyone who sees the money poured into girl's volleyball and softball and basketball camps by eager parents and has half a brain knows the potential is huge.

Put more NCAA female athletes on social media (and clips/highlights), where young women virtually live, and its more likely that those young women will idolize and want to emulate those NCAA female athletes. It's not rocket surgery.

Women have money. Lots of it. It's going to be a SLOW process of integrating sports into the lives of women, but it's not impossible.

We all love sports because we were little boys encouraged (often forced) to play sports. And we were fed images and video of men playing sports. We all grew up imitating different batters' stances or shot techniques. Even girls TODAY don't have much opportunity to see that kind of stuff, and they have to look for it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

now that we have professional women’s football leagues, should we start referring to the NFL as American Men’s Tackle Football? 

One of my favorite genres of dumbshit posts by certain-types-of-guys is the "invent something to be offended by" genre.

Bright red bald head, gas station Oakleys, driver's seat of an F-150 parked outside a Wal-Mart, creating a YouTube video into the front-facing camera of the iPhone 8 saying shit like, "OH SO WHAT'S NEXT, I'M GONNA HAVE TO BOW WHEN I SEE A WNBA PLAYER?!? IS THAT WHAT THEY WANT!? I HAVE TO STAB MYSELF TO MAKE MEGAN RAPINOE HAPPY!? I HAVE TO CASTRATE MYSELF FOR SHERYL SWOOPES!? IS THAT WHAT THEY'RE GOING TO WANT NEXT!?!"

Texas Longhorns - Men's
Texas Longhorns - Women's

This shit isn't complicated.

In the dystopian hell-future feared by certain-types-of-guys:

Dallas Cowboys - Men's
Dallas Cowboys - Women's

"OH SO EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE WOMEN, THEY'RE COWBOYS!?! I THOUGHT THAT WAS SEXIST?!!?!?"

The eternal victim never runs out of things to feel victimized by. That's their magic.

• Like 1

Stop using the word “equality”

the word you’re looking for is EQUITY, which is different. 

I support all women’s sports at UT because I support the UT athletic department, regardless of what sport. I want us to win NCs in everything. I also used to ref women’s D1 basketball, and I’ve said this before—most (not all) women’s sports are niche sports, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I say most because Nebraska women’s volleyball and UCONN women’s basketball (and Tennessee women’s basketball) will always sell out because they’ve won so much. You can start to see that with Souf Carolina women’s basketball and LSU women’s basketball. 

Some of the research we saw from reffing basketball said that women’s volleyball is gaining massive followings for women’s sports. I then told my ref boss at the time (lesbian) it’s because men are watching for their daughters, sure, but also because it’s the shorts which makes them think of the women they think they can pull but in reality have no shot and they know it. She laughed. 

Some of yall are getting upset and something for no reason. It’s like you just need something to be mad about and yell at so you chose this thread. It’s odd.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 6:20 PM, ztejas said:

Bro what. What has Kelsey Plum said about shit? She's more of a gangster than half the fucking pussies in the NBA, for starters. 

Are you talking about this? 

https://justwomenssports.com/reads/wnba-basketball-kelsey-plum-revenue-sharing-pay-gap/

Where she says they should have an equal % revenue share as the NBA? 

Any yammering about equal revenue sharing to the NBA is pretty dumb when one league makes money hand-over-fist and the other burns cash like it's going out of style.