Groundbreaking espn study shows that most schools tweet more about men’s sports than women’s sports

shadow_operative

whoooooole lotta misguided, unfounded, gen z demands for “equality” here. i can’t lie, this shit makes me weep for the future. it’s not just that female athletes are demanding to be exalted in the same light as their male counterparts, the ones who actually bring in eyeballs and money, it’s that national publications like espn continue to feed into these delusions, giving them a platform to whine about the fact that their sports programs- which lose money- don’t get as much attention as the men’s teams that bring in billions of dollars of revenue. it’s all just so ridiculous.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/38632774/notre-dame-power-five-schools-gender-bias-tweets-analysis?appsrc=sc&RuleNumber=11&consent_mode=ccpa&appearance=dark#findings

also for the record, Texas was the no.1 school in terms of social media equality. ND was last. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

THE “LADY” LABEL

Many college women's teams historically have been called the "Lady [insert mascot here]" -- the Lady Bears, Lady Jays, Lady Rebels. Some viewed the practice as assigning a second-class status to women's teams. They're not athletes, they're female athletes. While most schools have dropped "Lady" from their mascot, and others have updated their handles since ESPN's analysis, some team Twitter handles still designate their women's team with a "W" or "women," without a corresponding "M" or "men's" designation for the men.

tonight show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

continue to feed into these delusions, giving them a platform to whine about the fact that their sports programs- which lose money- don’t get as much attention as the men’s teams

This is the fucking most incel thing you could have written.  Which is IRONIC coming from your use of this platform that allows you to whine incessantly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

No matter how much you tell me to care about something I don't care about, I am not going to care. I don't care about women's sports and I won't ever care about them. Just like I will never care about cricket or chess. Niche interests that will never change no matter how many tweets are twatted.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is the fucking most incel thing you could have written.  Which is IRONIC coming from your use of this platform that allows you to whine incessantly. 

feel free to call it what you want, but saying stuff like this:

IMG_0466.thumb.jpeg.cf84428c35380e0ee997003b2681ce68.jpeg

is completely self deluded, and not based in reality in any way. imagine if high A baseball players started demanding that they get as much attention, recognition, and money as MLB players. would you take them seriously? would you think that a platform like ESPN should commit incalculable amounts of time and money championing that cause? 

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

We will never have true equality until e-sports are recognized alongside their other athletic counterparts. Elite StarCraft players deserve to be treated the same way as 5 star football recruits.

This but unironically I have gone to CSGO majors and they are the fucking bomb. Even my old dinosaur dad was into them without ever watching a second before.

IMG_0484.thumb.jpeg.be7f37df5ed043a74c8f7d19950fddf2.jpeg

so the logic here is that, since there are more women’s sports teams,l (including cross country, water polo, golf, etc) there should be more tweets about women’s sports than men’s sports. that’s just ridiculous. there are reasons that alabama football and duke hoops get more tweets than iowa women’s lacrosse. acting like this is some huge problem is just asinine.

here’s a question: how many tweets being made by fans and twitter users are about women’s collegiate athletics teams, and how many are about men’s teams? why would we punish schools for tweeting about what their fan bases want to see? because “equality”? 

Edited by shadow_operative

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

That’s a real shame because for many years women have been the only ones winning anything. Men: baseball (nope), basketball (nope) football (nope not even fucking close.) we should be proud of our women! They win shit. 

Men's swimming and tennis have entered the chat.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, linux said:

This but unironically I have gone to CSGO majors and they are the fucking bomb. Even my old dinosaur dad was into them without ever watching a second before.

Counterstrike is the shit. I was really into the pro scene for some time but haven't watched much in awhile. Watching C9 win the Boston major is pretty high on my list of best "sports" moments that I've watched. 

And female video game streamers make a fucking killing. 

35 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

No matter how much you tell me to care about something I don't care about, I am not going to care. I don't care about women's sports and I won't ever care about them. Just like I will never care about cricket or chess. Niche interests that will never change no matter how many tweets are twatted.

And you don’t have to care about it. If you don’t care, Don’t consume the content. Are more tweets about women’s sports going to turn you off from sports completely? No 

Schools should be showcasing all of their athletes equally. Unfortunately they’ll assign one SID to 4 women’s “lesser” sports so it’s harder to create content 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

This economy of artisanal, boutique equality-grievances sure is booming. 

Has ESPN hired a lawfirm to conduct a study comparing the level of total coverage they give to Ohio State football and North Carolina basketball over UTEP track & field? Maybe pay some leading sociologists to explain why and set a task force to right this injustice. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean, Nate Boyer was featured quite a bit when he was where? 

exactly. why was he featured so prominently when none of our other deep snappers ever got any attention? because he’d earned that attention by having a story that people wanted to follow. if UT social media started posting about all sports equally then they’d find their online follower count plummeting in no time.

18 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think there were quite a few tweets about our bullpen catcher when got caught drinking on the job

this is actually hilarious, the fact that we indeed have had plenty of social media attention paid recently to our deep snapper and our bullpen catcher. HE’s point remains, but that’s pretty damm funny.

• Like 1

Well, the reason for this is mostly that women's sports are less popular than men's and have a smaller audience.

But, part of the reason for that is that women's sports havent been around very long, and maybe women don't watch them.

And a big reason for that is because until fairly recently, it was thought women shouldn't play sports, or maybe even watch them.

And the reason for that is that it was "unladylike," or not what men and society thought they should do

And so on and so forth.

So, this particular stat is not very useful for advancing any kind of an equality argument, but you don't have to go very far below the surface to find some misogyny that bears at least some responsibility for the differential.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

no they should not, for many obvious reasons. this is like saying that every player for the UT football team should get equal playing time. it’s based on nothing but a misguided striving for “equality”. 

We are talking about fucking tweets, when you put a player over another it is because only 11 are allowed on the field

Think man, think!

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

but you don't have to go very far below the surface to find some misogyny that bears at least some responsibility for the differential.

while i agree with this, i will say that a multitude of famous professional female athletes have done tremendous harm to their cause with their dismissive and flippant attitudes, along with their strong yet uninformed opinions. i’m talking megan rapinoe, candace parker, brittney griner, kelsey plum, and so on- some of the biggest names in women’s sports, who have been out here demanding things that they have not earned, particularly the women’s basketball players whose league loses millions of dollars every single year and only exists because of men’s basketball. there is zero humility or gratitude, and instead just this flippant, demanding attitude that they deserve so much more, when factually, empirically they do not.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, linux said:

We are talking about fucking tweets, when you put a player over another it is because only 11 are allowed on the field

Think man, think!

promoting water polo and rowing (and the other couple dozen sports on campus) an equal amount to the football and basketball teams would be detrimental to athletic departments and their bottom lines. there’s a reason that brooks starts over baxter, just like there’s a reason that the football team gets posted about more than women’s golf.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

promoting water polo and rowing (and the other couple dozen sports on campus) an equal amount to the football and basketball teams would be detrimental to athletic departments and their bottom lines. there’s a reason that brooks starts over baxter, just like there’s a reason that the football team gets posted about more than women’s golf.

Because there are only 11 allowed on the field, this is also dumb because the team could be playing 21 personel, both would be starters.

Again, think.